College football vs the NFL

81usaf92

TideFans Legend
Apr 26, 2008
South Alabama
Have you actually been to a game in KC?
Yes. If the Raiders, Broncos, or a big team are in town then around the stadium is a great atmosphere. But aside from a playoff game it's just 'meh'. The problem with KC is that Arrowhead and the Royals stadium are literally on the highway outside the city. So basically all the action is on one plot of a parking lot on the highway . Compare it to NOLA or Pittsburgh, it's no comparison.

RollTide_HTTR

Hall of Fame
Feb 22, 2017
Yes. If the Raiders, Broncos, or a big team are in town then around the stadium is a great atmosphere. But aside from a playoff game it's just 'meh'. The problem with KC is that Arrowhead and the Royals stadium are literally on the highway outside the city. So basically all the action is on one plot of a parking lot on the highway . Compare it to NOLA or Pittsburgh, it's no comparison.
I haven't been to a ton of NFL games outside of Redskins and Ravens games but I can tell you that the Redskins game environment has got to be the worst in the NFL.

UntouchableCrew

All-SEC
Nov 30, 2015
From my experience new state of the art stadiums with PSLs have killed NFL crowds. When they were at Shea Stadium or even Giants stadium the Jets had one of the most raucous crowds in the NFL. Now at MetLife it's quiet as a tomb, the passionate blue collar (drunk) fans pushed out in favor of a clean sterile environment for Wall Street types. It's lifeless.

uafan4life

Hall of Fame
Mar 30, 2001
Florence, AL
From my experience new state of the art stadiums with PSLs have killed NFL crowds. When they were at Shea Stadium or even Giants stadium the Jets had one of the most raucous crowds in the NFL. Now at MetLife it's quiet as a tomb, the passionate blue collar (drunk) fans pushed out in favor of a clean sterile environment for Wall Street types. It's lifeless.
NFL crowds don't like Pumpkin Spiced Lattes?

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
Amen

crimsonaudio

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 9, 2002
crimsonaudio.net
I love college football because I love seeing my school play the sport. I have an emotional connection to the University - I met my wife while we were both attending school there and one of my chirruns is a current student.

I have zero connection to a pro team. There's nothing there other than vicinity, and if that mattered I'd be a Memphis or Ole Miss fans The two closest FBS schools) - suffice to say I'm a fan of neither program...

So while I don't have any emotional attachment to the NFL, I marvel watching snippets of their games - the physical and technical abilities on display are remarkable compared to college football. This is why I point and laugh at anyone who thinks the best college team could compete with the worst NFL team - watch either team for a few snaps and you know all you need to know.

But despite the superior abilities of the players, I generally find the NFL boring.

RollTide_HTTR

Hall of Fame
Feb 22, 2017
With that, the cost of attending a game is absurd. It's not just about ticket prices (though they are insanely high) it's also about the other costs that come with it. I went to a preseason game this year and still ended up spending well over $150 just from parking, food and drink for 2 people. That's just ridiculous.

81usaf92

TideFans Legend
Apr 26, 2008
South Alabama
With that, the cost of attending a game is absurd. It's not just about ticket prices (though they are insanely high) it's also about the other costs that come with it. I went to a preseason game this year and still ended up spending well over $150 just from parking, food and drink for 2 people. That's just ridiculous.
Honestly the only NFL stadiums that I've been to that have cheap parking is Dallas and Phoniex. That's one gripe about neutral site games. Thankfully I know good parking in Atlanta

81usaf92

TideFans Legend
Apr 26, 2008
South Alabama
I haven't been to a ton of NFL games outside of Redskins and Ravens games but I can tell you that the Redskins game environment has got to be the worst in the NFL.
Never been to Baltimore or Washington so I wouldn't know. But I still think the biggest problem most NFL teams face in terms of atmosphere is that they are set up like USCe in that they are away from the main part of town. Granted Dallas is too, but again they have a huge following and Jerry's world is one of the best stadiums in the world.

RollTide_HTTR

Hall of Fame
Feb 22, 2017
Never been to Baltimore or Washington so I wouldn't know. But I still think the biggest problem most NFL teams face in terms of atmosphere is that they are set up like USCe in that they are away from the main part of town. Granted Dallas is too, but again they have a huge following and Jerry's world is one of the best stadiums in the world.
So, this is definitely a big issue for Redskins games. The location of the stadium is horrible and a pain to get to. The somewhat unique problem they have, and all DC teams have, is that there are a ton of people who live in DC but are from other areas of the country originally(or have parents who are). This causes the stadium to be filled with non DC sports fans. When we play certain teams (Dallas and Pittsburgh) the stadium is actually mostly made up of opposing fans. It completely disrupts the stadium atmosphere. Baltimore has this to a much smaller extent but being in the same general area it does have this problem from time to time.

RT27

All-American
Aug 13, 2017
I have maintained for years that college football is far superior to the NFL. I'm not talking about the talent pool, I'm talking about the overall product on the field and the experience of going to a game.

I simply cannot watch NFL games from start to finish, the passion just isn't there. And for the life of me I cannot understand why it's so popular.

I tried convincing some of my friends that college football is better and they literally laughed at me. What am I missing? Do I need new friends?

College football is so much better, from the bands to the tailgating, and the passion of the game.
Just home town team stuff, college much more fun , exciting and you have more balanced attacks. Not to mention upsets in college more common, when was last time NFL had a real upset game?

Cruiser

All-American
Sep 24, 2015
NFL; is that the league that has Jamele Hill as their spokesperson??
Would someone please let her know; she is not a big deal. Pass
They do have a decent halftime show at the Super Bowl about every 5 years; there is that , I guess.

Last edited:

deliveryman35

Hall of Fame
Jul 26, 2003
Gadsden, AL
Ive lived in three different states in my life--Indiana, Oklahoma, and Alabama. At the times I've lived in each of those states, we had no pro sports. Naturally, I gravitated toward the college game from a young age, and that's always been my thing. If watching very elite talent perform is your main thing, then I can understand following the league. Myself, I prefer the pageantry, state pride, comradery, tradition, and game day atmosphere of college football. There's just nothing like it.

DzynKingRTR

TideFans Legend
Dec 17, 2003
Vinings, ga., usa
I would say Green Bay might have the "most like us" fans. They travel extremely well, sometimes even having more fans than the home team they are visiting. They cheer on the team no matter the record. The Steelers are the same way.

The Saints fans will go away as soon as the team starts losing a lot. Saints are more like Auburn fans. They only beat their chests win the team is winning. They got one Super Bowl and act like they have won dozens.

Atlanta might be the worst sports town in the whole NFL. There seems to suddenly be a ton of Falcons fans all over this city. I went to a Falcons game a few years ago. It was Falcons vs Steelers. There were more Steelers fans than Falcons fans and not by a little either. I believe this was the game that got the NFL suspicious that the Falcons might be filtering in more sound to make them sound louder.

81usaf92

TideFans Legend
Apr 26, 2008
South Alabama
I would say Green Bay might have the "most like us" fans. They travel extremely well, sometimes even having more fans than the home team they are visiting. They cheer on the team no matter the record. The Steelers are the same way.

The Saints fans will go away as soon as the team starts losing a lot. Saints are more like Auburn fans. They only beat their chests win the team is winning. They got one Super Bowl and act like they have won dozens.

Atlanta might be the worst sports town in the whole NFL. There seems to suddenly be a ton of Falcons fans all over this city. I went to a Falcons game a few years ago. It was Falcons vs Steelers. There were more Steelers fans than Falcons fans and not by a little either. I believe this was the game that got the NFL suspicious that the Falcons might be filtering in more sound to make them sound louder.
Yeah I watched the Falcons vs Green Bay game last night and I saw a bunch of empty seats on tv. I found that kinda surprising since it was a SNF game and first real home game in the new dome against a quality opponent.

At the Saints game it was about 1/3 Patriots fans, but The Who Dats were pretty significant near the stadium and on Canal street. But it was all Patriots in the Quarter. Like I said it's a destination spot, but I think NOLA does have a significant following.

But I would say the closest teams like Bama are:
Packers
Steelers
Raiders
Cowboys
Seahawks
*Patriots

* Unsure if New England stays a loyal fanbase when Brady and Belichick leave but they have a great following right now

DzynKingRTR

TideFans Legend
Dec 17, 2003
Vinings, ga., usa
Yeah I watched the Falcons vs Green Bay game last night and I saw a bunch of empty seats on tv. I found that kinda surprising since it was a SNF game and first real home game in the new dome against a quality opponent.

At the Saints game it was about 1/3 Patriots fans, but The Who Dats were pretty significant near the stadium and on Canal street. But it was all Patriots in the Quarter. Like I said it's a destination spot, but I think NOLA does have a significant following.

Packers
Steelers
Raiders
Cowboys
Seahawks
*Patriots

* Unsure if New England stays a loyal fanbase when Brady and Belichick leave but they have a great following right now
How do the Raiders even have a fanbase? They move every 20 years and are moving again to Vegas.

81usaf92

TideFans Legend
Apr 26, 2008
South Alabama
How do the Raiders even have a fanbase? They move every 20 years and are moving again to Vegas.
Beats me, but everywhere you go west past Denver there are ridiculous amount of Raiders fans. They are like a more historically successful Eagles. It's more of being apart of a notorious fan base than actually caring how good their team is.

JaxTider

Suspended
Jan 10, 2017
Just a few disjointed thoughts on this topic.

A big deal is being made of USC - Texas outdrawing the Rams and chargers combined. Of course, LA has never cared much for pro football.

My theory, after observating Jaguar fans for years, is that pro football is largely a television sport.

I have always thought that the level of interest nationwide in say, the Super Bowl, is a thousand miles wide and a millimeter deep. For most, It's a reason for partying and socializing without a deep interest in the game itself.

Blacks tend to be more heavily invested in pro football. Probably because their connection with major colleges doesn't span the generations like White fans. They also tend to be more heavily identified with the urban scene.

As a footnote, I've seen women weep over college football. Ive never seen a woman weep over a Pro football game.

I'm certainly biased, having only attended a handful of pro games in my lifetime. But to me, the electricity at a college game is far greater. I think this is due to the debt of feeling and emotion in the fans themselves.

James Mitchner wrote a Book years ago called "Sports in America". In it, he likened the behavior of Alabama fans to people undergoing a near religious experience.

The more avid pro football fans I know are prone to dryer discussions and arguments about individual players techniques and salary caps etc. They seem to relish the details of the game moreso than many college fans. It is more of an intillectual exercise and less of an emotional one.

There have been times in my life when I have turned to Alabama football out of some emotional need that would be hard for me to define. There are times when I have grieved over loses as intensely as I have grieved over deaths in the family. Clearly, there have been times when my self esteem has been wrapped up in the fate of that football team. I know it seems pathetic, but it's true, although with age the depth of feeling and the highs and lows of Bama football have been brought more into proper perspective.

There is something primal about college football. Something tribal.
Something that I can't fully put into words. Suffice it to say, it stirs the soul and is filled with terrible anxieties and great joys. And there is something about those Saturday afternoons. It's something in the air. It something timeless that takes you back. The crimson triggers feelings in this old man that I felt at 19 years old when I walked that campus.

There is something everlasting about college football.

Last edited:

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012

Packers
Steelers
Raiders
Cowboys
Seahawks
*Patriots

There are many other very loyal fan bases in the NFL. Heck, look at the Browns. They absolutely suck, but they sell out every game and could probably sell out a stadium twice the size every week. Their fans are crazy loyal.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.