College football vs the NFL

RollTide_HTTR

Hall of Fame
Feb 22, 2017
There are many other very loyal fan bases in the NFL. Heck, look at the Browns. They absolutely suck, but they sell out every game and could probably sell out a stadium twice the size every week. Their fans are crazy loyal.
Meh, the whole we sell out our stadium thing is a little overrated. Idk about the Browns but quite a few teams claim to sell out their stadiums when they are half empty.

I would say Green Bay might have the "most like us" fans. They travel extremely well, sometimes even having more fans than the home team they are visiting. They cheer on the team no matter the record. The Steelers are the same way.

The Saints fans will go away as soon as the team starts losing a lot. Saints are more like Auburn fans. They only beat their chests win the team is winning. They got one Super Bowl and act like they have won dozens.

Atlanta might be the worst sports town in the whole NFL. There seems to suddenly be a ton of Falcons fans all over this city. I went to a Falcons game a few years ago. It was Falcons vs Steelers. There were more Steelers fans than Falcons fans and not by a little either. I believe this was the game that got the NFL suspicious that the Falcons might be filtering in more sound to make them sound louder.
To be fair, the Steelers do this to a TON of teams. They have a huge fan base and no one wants to live in Pittsburgh so they moved away :wink:

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
Meh, the whole we sell out our stadium thing is a little overrated. Idk about the Browns but quite a few teams claim to sell out their stadiums when they are half empty.
Watch a Browns game then let me know what you think - or better yet, attend one. They are a whole lot more vocal that Alabama fans at Alabama games.

UntouchableCrew

All-SEC
Nov 30, 2015
I hate the bogus narrative that teams like the Packers and Steelers "travel well." They're wildly successful teams that have bandwagon fans all around the country. I can't tell you how many Packers fans I've met who have literally never stepped foot in Wisconsin.

81usaf92

TideFans Legend
Apr 26, 2008
South Alabama
I hate the bogus narrative that teams like the Packers and Steelers "travel well." They're wildly successful teams that have bandwagon fans all around the country. I can't tell you how many Packers fans I've met who have literally never stepped foot in Wisconsin.
Packers and Steelers fans typically attract the blue collar workers and traditional based fans due to how they were built. But their fans travel extremely well and they have a huge fan base. It's not even debatable Birmingham used to be called "little Pittsburgh" and the Packers were similar to Alabama in the 60's. So most Alabama (the state) pro fans started gravitating towards those franchises.

Cowboys are basically the Atlanta braves of the NFL because the exposure they got in the 70's through the 90's compared to all of the other teams. The emergence of Fox and CBS led to the even playing field, but they had already became America's team by then.

KC and Denver are all of the non Packers Midwest team. They have a significant following

49ers and Patriots fans mostly consist of bandwagoners. The Patriots fans now, will probably be like the 49ers fans now in that the 1st generation were bandwagoners and the next generation were born into it.

Then you have the "team" fanbases in which being a fan of that team means more than supporting the team. Examples are: The Who Dat nation, Browns fans, Raiders and Eagles fans.

You also have your player fans. Like Brady and Peyton followers. Similar to the Lebron fans who aren't Cleveland fans.

Finally you have your geographic fans.

SweetHome56

BamaNation Citizen
Sep 18, 2017
This is true for most of the good teams in the NFL: Cowboys, Patriots, 49ers, etc.

RollTide_HTTR

Hall of Fame
Feb 22, 2017
Watch a Browns game then let me know what you think - or better yet, attend one. They are a whole lot more vocal that Alabama fans at Alabama games.
Like I said, I don't know much about Browns fans or their ticket sales. I just know a few teams have overstated their fan support over the years. I fully believe that Browns fans are wild and honestly hope they are moving in the right direction to reward that fan loyalty.

I mean of course, success creates a larger fan base and increases that fan bases willingness to spend money which in turn helps teams fans "travel well" but I think that's kinda the idea. I just think its a way to discuss the fact that Steelers fans take over other stadiums.

gamersfuel

All-American
Jan 20, 2008
Auburn/near a cow pasture
this topic has come up a lot recently. There are some NFL fanbases that duplicate the atmosphere which makes college football so exciting. it's just a matter of what you like. I love the NFL. Not as much as college but i wouldnt try to compare the 2 because they are great for different reasons.

JaxTider

Suspended
Jan 10, 2017
One College game draws more fans than two pro games the next day. Need I say more. And its not even in the SEC

https://www.sbnation.com/nfl/2017/9/17/16322710/rams-chargers-attendance-usc-texas

"Thursday night's Rams-49ers game may be the toughest sell in the history of Levi's Stadium.
As of Wednesday, resale tickets were being offered on StubHub for as low as $14 to see the team host the Los Angeles Rams at 7 p.m. That price is just cheaper than buying a pair of $7.50 pretzels through the Levi's Stadium app and comparable to the price of a beer and a hot dog at the the three-year-old arena. According to the team's seat licensing map, the cheapest original face value for any seat is $85."

http://www.sfgate.com/sports/articl...s-stadium-history-12215863.php#photo-14092231

CrimsonForce

Hall of Fame
Dec 20, 2012
http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.co...thursday-night-ratings-are-up-over-last-year/

"For the second week in a row, NFL Network’s Thursday Night Football ratings are up significantly from NFL Network’s games last season: Last night’s Rams-49ers game had 7.4 million viewers, while last week’s Texans-Bengals game had 8.1 million viewers. Last year, the four Thursday night games that were only on NFL Network averaged 6.1 million viewers.NFL Network is also getting strong ratings for its programming around Thursday Night Football. Last Thursday the five-most watched shows on cable TV were the Thursday night game, the two NFL Network programs airing after the game and the two NFL Network programs airing before the game."

I'd guess the college game that aired that night had less than 1M viewers..

Last edited:

RollTide_HTTR

Hall of Fame
Feb 22, 2017
http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.co...thursday-night-ratings-are-up-over-last-year/

"For the second week in a row, NFL Network’s Thursday Night Football ratings are up significantly from NFL Network’s games last season: Last night’s Rams-49ers game had 7.4 million viewers, while last week’s Texans-Bengals game had 8.1 million viewers. Last year, the four Thursday night games that were only on NFL Network averaged 6.1 million viewers.NFL Network is also getting strong ratings for its programming around Thursday Night Football. Last Thursday the five-most watched shows on cable TV were the Thursday night game, the two NFL Network programs airing after the game and the two NFL Network programs airing before the game."

God I hate Thursday Night Football.

Chukker Veteran

Hall of Fame
Feb 6, 2001
If I had to say what I consider the best thing about pro football, I would say it serves as a great motivation for the college guys to play as well as they can. I prefer watching college ball, and rarely watch the pros.

DzynKingRTR

TideFans Legend
Dec 17, 2003
Vinings, ga., usa

The Thursday night college games have been garbage this year. Uninteresting teams, unranked teams, etc.

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.