To All the Bama Fans not with us anymore - Roll Tide

CajunCrimson

Moderator (FB,BB) and Vinyl Enthusiast
Staff member
Mar 13, 2001
Breaux Bridge, La
Reading the post for John Hinds made me miss my Dad. He always looked so forward to the opening game.

When I was young, he always bought Athlon, Street and Smith and Gameplan magazines each year. We would use Gameplans formula to figure out all of the scores for each game. I think it was his way to teach me "long math". A college prof with a masters and doctorate from TTown, he often told me stories of Tuscaloosa in the late 50s and early 60s.

We spent many days trying to pick up Birmingham radio in Louisiana. We would take the car to country road parking lots, or once even to someone's driveway. It was the only spot where it was clear. ;)

One year a New Orleans station picked up the Bama network and he was in heaven. Back before the interstates were done there just wasn't an easy way to TTown from Louisiana....and it was a 10 hour drive...(now it's about 5-6)....so we only got to go to a game once together, vs USM....

But he loved Bama....he passed away in March of 2010. So he got to see the 2009 NCG. Not sure how much of it he could really follow by that time.....but he tried to focus on every single play.

So...this post is for my Dad....Paw Paw to my kids, Prof to others, Bill to his wife...Mr Billy to my wife, and Uncle Billy to his 27 nieces and nephews...

And they all knew....this was the smartest man they knew, the guy who loved Alabama Football, the guy that always sent you home with food...and the man who wanted to share it all with you.

Roll Tide Daddy...we miss you.

I would love it if everyone shared a similar story today. I think we need to remember why Alabama Football is important to us....

:)

NationalTitles18

TideFans Legend
May 25, 2003
Mountainous Northern California
You get the Full Banjeaux.

My dad is still with us, but his health is failing and he has Alzheimer's, so his memory is spotty. He doesn't talk on the phone much - never did, really - but a while back he said to me "Alabama plays in 70 days". Sure enough, it was 10 weeks until the game today. He can't always remember which way the bathroom is in his home of 30 years, but he remembers Alabama football. Savoring every moment I can while I can.

GrayTide

Hall of Fame
Nov 15, 2005
Greenbow, Alabama
Thanks, Cajun for that heartfelt piece. The college football season has always been bittersweet for me. While I love everything about the pageantry of college football, I am often saddened when I remember so many people, places and times of enjoyment that are gone except in my memory. I know you cannot live in the past, but there is something about game day Saturdays in the fall that dredge up a lot of memories from my youth. I will end my "Pity Party" with a Roll Tide.

Bidgood

3rd Team
Apr 27, 2011
What a beautiful tribute. Our Dads seem to have had an awful lot in common.

Roll Tide.

MobtownK

All-American
Nov 20, 2004
Mobile, Alabama, United States
My Big Daddy (dad's dad) passed away of a brain tumor last summer. We would talk about football every time I called till near the very end. He was a member of tidefans, and we would discuss posts we saw. He would tell me about Alabama football and coaches long before I was born.
I miss him.

I think he's still listed as an active member because at the time I didn't have the heart to message admins and tell them. I probably should.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
My dad's been dead a long time - February, 1958. It would be hard to imagine a bigger Bama fan. Coach Crisp had tried to recruit him after seeing him playing semi-pro baseball. Dad was a big, strapping fellow, about 6'2" and probably 215 or so, unusually big for the time. Thing was he was already up in his 20s and had a five-year old son, my oldest half-brother - and he was a widower. Oh, and he hadn't finished high school. All of that was no problem to Coach Crisp at all. They'd put him in high school in T-Town and would take care of Sam. I only heard him muse once on the track his life would have taken, had he taken up the offer. I probably wouldn't be here, writing this. Anyway, he followed Bama avidly. His last year or so of life was miserable, with a wrecked heart. In fact, the last thing he ever said to my mom was "Alabama's going to be all right. Coach Bryant's coming back"...

JaxTider

Suspended
Jan 10, 2017
Great post!

My father died in 92. While they were "Bama people", neither my mom or dad were fervent fans to say the least.

I was born with some strange obsession for the tide, and would clutch a transistor radio, while walking around muttering and listening to the games at age 5. It was also at about that time that i would insist that the TV be tuned into "The Bear Bryant Show" at 4pm Sunday's. Back then, the coach's show was a much bigger deal than today.

My father, and the entire family, learned to live Bama football through their idiot kid who for some reason caught the fever. After he saw how important it was to me, he started taking me to games. And we followed things together for the rest of his life.

Last edited:

Redwood Forrest

Hall of Fame
Sep 19, 2003
Boaz, AL USA
So many wonderful memories. I have a couple of my own. One of the biggest Bama Fans ever asked his doctor in the spring of 2009 if he would live long enough to see Bama win another National Championship. Sadly he didn't make it.

DzynKingRTR

TideFans Legend
Dec 17, 2003
Vinings, ga., usa
My dad has been gone almost 20 years now. My dad was a contrast to me in watching football. I am loud and my dad was quiet except when something happened he didn't like (would utter one word not acceptable to Tidefans rules). I miss my dad every single day. He would really have enjoyed this run we are on.

selmaborntidefan

TideFans Legend
Mar 31, 2000
He wasn't my Dad or even a relative......but the passing of bayoutider (Richard Heaton) in 2011 was sad.

I ran into Rich on a long ago defunct board, and he's the one who invited me here (which can be viewed positively or negatively I guess, depending on your POV).

Met him once. Great guy. Talked with him via email and PM hundreds of times.

Rich was a lot like 92tide's posts but more mature (because he was older).

Miss him probably more than I miss anyone else on this board.

CrimsonSEC

Hall of Fame
Jan 8, 2007
Brewton
My father passed in 2013 and he's the reason I'm a Tide fan. Some of my favorite times growing up were spent every Saturday in a dove field hearing his radio playing the Bama games as we dominated the SEC during the seventies.

He was offered a scholarship to Alabama in the 40s as an end but turned it down. He told me he thought he was too small for college football. I always thought he regretted that decision. He wound up playing minor league baseball instead until supporting a family forced him to get a real job.

Last edited:

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
He wasn't my Dad or even a relative......but the passing of bayoutider (Richard Heaton) in 2011 was sad.

I ran into Rich on a long ago defunct board, and he's the one who invited me here (which can be viewed positively or negatively I guess, depending on your POV).

Met him once. Great guy. Talked with him via email and PM hundreds of times.

Rich was a lot like 92tide's posts but more mature (because he was older).

Miss him probably more than I miss anyone else on this board.
Losing him was like losing my right hand at the time, we'd worked together so long. Like they say, no one is indispensable. Brad and the present mod staff have gone a long way towards filling the gap...

UAH

All-American
Nov 27, 2017
My son Andrew and I were very close we played baseball together through high school at Sparkman and on to UAH. He an his baseball buds loved Bama football and were regulars at Denny Stadium. His mom won tickets to Auburn-Alabama in 2008 and Andrew took his closest friend to the game and was in the end zone where Coffey scored his dramatic touchdown. He sent me a picture from the stands that day. In July 2012 Andrew was murdered two blocks from his home by a man who left a bar and drove at incredibly high speed into the rear of Andrew's car while he sitting a four way stop. We fly the Bama flag at Andrew's resting place for the big games and remember every game we shared together. I admit to attaching too much emotion to Alabama football and to the success of the young men who play the game. There is never a moment that I do not think of my Son and the games we shared.

RT27

All-American
Aug 13, 2017
As a long time Bama fan 45 plus yrs, I know so many families who still say these same things. Many family memories tied to Bama football and how Fathers and Sons, Mothers and Daughters, Brothers and sisters, and just good friends have many great memories tied to Bama sports. it is a great thing that binds so many in so many great ways.To the Tide and all their great fans and great memories, CHEERS and ROLL TIDE. All posts above very nice. This should be Thread of the year.

willie52

All-American
Jan 25, 2008
Arab, AL
What a great thread. On the rare occasions I was home on leave the family would gather at my Dad's house for the games. He was normally a cool and calm customer but not during a Bama game. You did not get between him and his TV without getting something said to you or dodging something. It's a wonder he didn't stroke out but he managed to get through them and great fun was had by all. I miss my Mom and Dad everyday but more so on those fall Saturday's.

By the same token, my family gathers at my house on game days. I hope they remember the times we all spent together over Bama football, the memories last a lifetime.

Roll Tide to all those no longer with us.

CoolBreeze

Hall of Fame
Sep 18, 2002
Hoover
Roll Tide Pops - Louis Nick, my brother Nick George and my beloved friend Charles Lee. Miss you guys. We're bringing home another Championship!

BamaBoySince89

All-American
Aug 13, 2016
Harvest, AL
I'm still blessed to have my pops around but I am remided of my wife's Grandfather who passed in April 2013. He didn't get to see the 2012 BCSNCG, and I happen to buy the dvd of the game and gave it to him about a month afterwards. We sat and watched it that night and I can remember him smiling from ear to ear screaming, "We got them boys this time!" RIP Mr. Davis, good man, and one of the biggest Alabama fans I've ever met.

Last edited:

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.