The Good, The Bad, and The Ugly- FSU Style...

Ole Man Dan

Hall of Fame
Apr 21, 2008
Gadsden, Al.
THE GOOD... We beat a good team even though our Offense didn't play well.

THE BAD... Our Kicking game was BAD.

THE UGLY Injury to FSU QB.

All in all this first game showed some glaring problems we need to work on.
FSU did what I expected them to do Defensively... They used the Clemson BluePrint for beating us. 8 man fronts will be the norm until we get a reliable passing game.
I expect every team that plays us to try to follow that BluePrint. HOWEVER...
Most of the teams we will face don't have as good a Defense as FSU.

MobileBama84

Scout Team
Aug 30, 2016
Daphne, AL
The Good - Jalen Hurts as a passer. In a night where your starter doesn't eclipse 100 yards, it is seemingly "really low standards" to say this but hear me out. I thought he did an exceptional job of delivering the ball when he wasn't in scramble mode from the moment he got the snap due to poor protection. He had four deep balls - one off a scramble - that looked great. Problem: one was negated due to holding, one was stopped by DPI, one went through a true freshman's hands in the endzone. His short stuff was well delivered and in a spot where the receiver could move after the catch. If Hurts gets better protection, he is gonna have a good year.

The Bad - Offensive line play. I know FSU is one of the best we will see up front but Alabama looked inept at times. This must improve.

The Ugly - JK Scott's worst punt of his career. 9 yards...I suspect that will be the last time this season, seemed like a fluke but dang it was ugly.
I really agree with your post. Jalen didnt play bad ball. He did well all game, but our offensive line play was really bad at times and he had no time to do anything. What was up woth those outside blitzes that were never picked up too? There were plays they had someone coming off the edges and we gave Jalen NO protection! There were some questionable play calls too that I dont blame Jalen for. I am still surprised we didnt see any mid field passing still or any shots to our TE's. I am hoping that we were playing it safe a bit and the next few weeks we can work out the rough edges om our offense.

CajunCrimson

Moderator (FB,BB) and Vinyl Enthusiast
Staff member
Mar 13, 2001
Breaux Bridge, La
THE GOOD... We beat a good team even though our Offense didn't play well.

THE BAD... Our Kicking game was BAD.

THE UGLY Injury to FSU QB.

All in all this first game showed some glaring problems we need to work on.
FSU did what I expected them to do Defensively... They used the Clemson BluePrint for beating us. 8 man fronts will be the norm until we get a reliable passing game.
I expect every team that plays us to try to follow that BluePrint. HOWEVER...
Most of the teams we will face don't have as good a Defense as FSU.
One big positive with kicking game....high deep kickoffs really were great. They had no good returns on 6 kickoffs

NoNC4Tubs

Hall of Fame
Nov 13, 2010
Yes, they sure could have called that pass interference penalty, but just before that FSU grabbed Jalen's facemask on the third down play. They didn't call that either
Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I don't think it was a makeup call at all. It simply was not PI. The DB is allowed to occupy space an he did not have either arm up. If he had, it would have been PI automatically... :cool2:

Moro Creek

All-SEC
Jan 21, 2014
Equine country
The good.....defense.
The bad...... Play calling. Was SS still calling the plays? If you won't use the TE, put in another tackle for blocking.
The Ugly.....A wildcat QB who refuses to stay in the pocket.

AlexanderFan

Hall of Fame
Jul 23, 2004
Birmingham
The Good: We took a good team's best shot, played subpar in some aspects, and still won.

The Bad: the middle of the field. It's lava on offense and turns opposing receivers into Randy Moss on defense. I'm ready to start tag team suplexes on these jump balls so maybe they will start missing a few.

The Ugly: inconsistency. We can't big play our way to the Championship Game again. The result will be the same as last year, a gassed defense in crunch time.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Saban4Ever

All-American
Sep 27, 2016
Cobb County GA
GOOD: We won! Special teams defense. No turnovers.

BAD: O Line, especially in passing game. Kicking inconsistency. Injuries to 4 Linebackers.

UGLY: Our offense overall needs to improve or we may not even win the SEC or SEC Championship game.

colbysullivan

Hall of Fame
Dec 12, 2007
Gulf Breeze, FL
I'll just go with "The Ugly":

Injuries...on both sides. Francois's injury made me cringe, it was bad. I also don't like how we lost 4 LBs, two of which are probably going to be out a while.

bamanix

1st Team
Mar 24, 2010
the good: defense, special teams coverage.
the bad: as usual poor field goal kicking.
the ugly: same offense as last year, only worse. don't know if Jalen will ever think run first, and look downfield to find open receivers. only one wide receiver caught a pass. the offensive line had problems defending the typical 7, 8 man defensive front because of the no pass threat. play tua.

colbysullivan

Hall of Fame
Dec 12, 2007
Gulf Breeze, FL
the good: defense, special teams coverage.
the bad: as usual poor field goal kicking.
the ugly: same offense as last year, only worse. don't know if Jalen will ever think run first, and look downfield to find open receivers. only one wide receiver caught a pass. the offensive line had problems defending the typical 7, 8 man defensive front because of the no pass threat. play tua.
Lol at "play Tua". Come on man...

FSU has a great defense and most likely the best secondary in the country.

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
Good - Alabama's defense.

Bad - The injury to the FSU quarterback.

Ugly - Alabama's place kicker.

Here's the thing with the place kicking. The place kicker Alabama was using is just not really a scholarship level FBS player. Ole Miss wouldn't give him one, the reason Alabama got him was because he was basically free and I surmise there for emergency reasons. Well, he's playing so you can figure out how things have gone. Alabama had two kickers decommit, and then the new recruit obviously struggled or else he'd have been out there. It's hard to imagine this getting sorted out, but I can say this. The guy Alabama has kicking field goal's right now hasn't made a 40 yard kick in his FBS career. He's not likely to start anytime soon, so we have to get used to that.

Anyway, otherwise I was quite pleased with the outcome. FSU is a fantastic team and I think the other issues we saw can be addressed.
I think that, unless field position is really bad, if it's 4th and 3 or less, we go for it. Mathematicians say that's best anyway...

81usaf92

TideFans Legend
Apr 26, 2008
South Alabama
The Good: We got out of Atlanta with a win against a team that could possibly meet us again if either A) their qb comes back or B) their backup is good enough

The Bad: Overall we played probably a 6.5/10 type game. I was mostly disappointed in the O line. But optimistically I really think we have time to work out the kinks between now and October 7th

The Ugly: Francios injury.... hope he makes a quick and full recovery

LSUgrad2BamaDad

All-SEC
May 5, 2016
Destrehan, LA
Good - impressive win over a playoff contender in week one

Bad - the fact that I couldn't watch the second half of this game and the first half of the LSU game at the same time

Ugly - place kicking.

JustNeedMe81

Hall of Fame
Sep 30, 2011
Huntsville, Al
Good- defense. It's amazing how good we are with no dropoff at LB, DE and CB.

Bad- offensive line needs to do better job of protecting Hurts. They didnt give him time to throw.

Ugly- Francois injury. Praying for him.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

theballguy

Hall of Fame
Nov 5, 2012
Roll Tide Roll, Colorado USA
The Good:Lots.-- Jalen made no turnovers. Not one. He's improved as a passer but needs a little more work. He'll be fine.
-- Calvin Ridley.
-- Damien Harris - didn't he also get a blocked punt?
-- Defense was GREAT! Not the same type of defense as last year but faster.
-- Jeremy Pruitt. Tightened the noose as the game wore on. Love that he's this aggressive.Refs reversed a late hit call. The reversal came after seeing the replay. The hit was super quick and DEVASTATING! So, I could kind of undertand missing that at first (though the ref was on the spot).SPECIAL TEAMS (not kickers) !!!Class. On both sides. Both coaches and sidelines. Both teams looked like how most NFL teams *should* look. Neither team acted like it was their first time in the arena. Both teams were fundamentally sound and making good open field tackles.
The Bad:Not being able to assert the run game when we need it. Haven't been able to do that like we should since DH was here. OL, tighten up!Refs made some bad calls. Could have called us for PI on the attempted TD pass but they would not have been in position to make that throw if not for a bad PI call against us earlier. Thankfully it evened out.
The Ugly:Our FG kicking game seems to have gone backwards believe it or not.Francois' injury. Good Lord, I hope he recovers quickly. Hate that he got hurt like that even though it was a legit hit.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.