Are you reelin' in the years
Stowin' away the time
Are you gatherin' up the tears
Have you had enough of mine …

Bazza

TideFans Legend
Oct 1, 2011
New Smyrna Beach, Florida
44 years gone by......hard to believe. Seems like only yesterday to me.

Those first 10 years from Steely Dan were pretty danged special. Revolutionized the scene with their sound. That's what they did....

Last edited:

Bamaro

TideFans Legend
Oct 19, 2001
Jacksonville, Md USA
Walter Becker was my friend, my writing partner and my bandmate since we met as students at Bard College in 1967. We started writing nutty little tunes on an upright piano in a small sitting room in the lobby of Ward Manor, a mouldering old mansion on the Hudson River that the college used as a dorm.

We liked a lot of the same things: jazz (from the twenties through the mid-sixties), W.C. Fields, the Marx Brothers, science fiction, Nabokov, Kurt Vonnegut, Thomas Berger, and Robert Altman films come to mind. Also soul music and Chicago blues.

Walter had a very rough childhood - I’ll spare you the details. Luckily, he was smart as a whip, an excellent guitarist and a great songwriter. He was cynical about human nature, including his own, and hysterically funny. Like a lot of kids from fractured families, he had the knack of creative mimicry, reading people’s hidden psychology and transforming what he saw into bubbly, incisive art. He used to write letters (never meant to be sent) in my wife Libby’s singular voice that made the three of us collapse with laughter.

His habits got the best of him by the end of the seventies, and we lost touch for a while. In the eighties, when I was putting together the NY Rock and Soul Review with Libby, we hooked up again, revived the Steely Dan concept and developed another terrific band.

I intend to keep the music we created together alive as long as I can with the Steely Dan band.

Donald Fagen

September 3 2017
http://www.rollingstone.com/music/n...-tribute-to-steely-dans-walter-becker-w500968

Relayer

Hall of Fame
Mar 25, 2001
Was a fan from the beginning. So much great music.

RIP, Walter Becker.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.