Question: Offensive playcalling

mlh

All-American
Apr 28, 2004
The coaches should pull out some film of Johnny Manzel running around, avoiding the rush, and scrambling until he can find an open receiver down field to throw the ball to.

Of course, it's easy to critique when you're sitting at home in your recliner rather than being in the thick of it, with a bunch of monsters fighting and clawing and doing their best to get to you so they can remove your head from your shoulders. :eek2:

CajunCrimson

Moderator (FB,BB) and Vinyl Enthusiast
Staff member
Mar 13, 2001
Breaux Bridge, La
I think a few times the tailback rotation seemed a bit odd because Damien Harris was the hot hand and Bo was at least falling forward and fighting through for yards. Najee Harris is gonna be a star one day but that was full-grown man football last night and a true freshman in his first start wasn't quite ready for that level of defense. That's fine. I bet he makes some plays this season and maybe even become a star...but last night we should have fed D. Harris and Bo all night because they were getting the tough yards and explosive plays.

There were a few weird playcalling moments but I never found myself questioning the playcalling excessively. Mostly execution problems on the field not from the playcaller.
Did I hear Herbstreit say Najee is bigger than Derrick Henry?

CajunCrimson

Moderator (FB,BB) and Vinyl Enthusiast
Staff member
Mar 13, 2001
Breaux Bridge, La
Man. I thought NS was hard to stomach sometimes. But geez, the negative comments really surprise me. The other team is occasionally going to make yards. They are going to make first downs. And yes they will occasionally score. We cannot shut the other team down to a 3 and out every possession. (Heavy sigh)

DzynKingRTR

TideFans Legend
Dec 17, 2003
Vinings, ga., usa
Man. I thought NS was hard to stomach sometimes. But geez, the negative comments really surprise me. The other team is occasionally going to make yards. They are going to make first downs. And yes they will occasionally score. We cannot shut the other team down to a 3 and out every possession. (Heavy sigh)
Some eeyores cannot help themselves. They fail to realize how much worse it could be. We could all be A&M fans this morning.

BAMAVILLE

Moderator (FB,BB,REC)
Staff member
Jan 9, 2014
Even in those years, we never gave up a 34 point lead.
We did have one back in 2010 that stung just as much as giving up a 34 point lead though, just saying.

Back to the subject, the offense will be great this year. We won't face a top 5 defense like we just did every game. We may see 2 or 3 more teams like FSUs D this season and if we do, I think our offense will be in a better position to handle them with the experience they will receive along the way. We will be fine offensively.

JaxTider

Suspended
Jan 10, 2017
At least the jet sweep appears to be gone. I hated that play. Worked about 1 out of 20 times.

bamaslammer

All-American
Jan 8, 2003
Argo, AL, St Clair
www.kirkwoodhouse.com
I think Dabull just got his rear handed to him by one of the better college teams out there. He's been in pro football a while and he probably didn't expect the level of failure on the OL but this sort of thing happens at the college level. I think his track record indicates he's fairly smart, I'm assuming he will live at the office until he devises some backup plans to his backup plans that obviously didn't work, either that or he'll be standing outside the Moore Building with a cardboard box full of his stuff. He said it in his interview, he was given expectations and expected to meet them.

Having said all that, When we got the four turnovers in the 3rd the game was over and he rightfully just gave them a nose full of Bo to eat the clock. Some of the fault has to go to Jalen as well, he's still bailing too early from the pocket. He's got to become a QB instead of a running back who occasionally throws.

JustNeedMe81

Hall of Fame
Sep 30, 2011
Huntsville, Al
I think Coach Daboll used just what we needed to win the game, because our Defense was playing lights out. We still have Tennessee, LSU, and Auburn on the schedule. Why give them any early film study on our Offense? Besides, don't get me wrong screen passes are an effective play when blocked and executed correctly but, our Offensive line hasn't quite jelled yet and the O with a new OC. Also with a team that has that type of speed on Defense (like FSU), it might be better to be more (how you say) vanilla and be satisfied with what we could get and let the Defense stay the game for us. Could we have done more, called different plays we didn't call? Maybe, who knows. But, it might of been better to do just what we did. JMO (and I'm probably wrong..lol)
This! Based on our history of season openers, we never really go deep in playbook. You'll see the same plays we saw Saturday night, but with a twist here and there. We have to remember Daboll was coaching his first game on a collegiate level as a OC and we need to be patient with him. He will get lot better as the season goes on. Jalen will get lot better. He saw few things that was new. Both will learn on the rope. I expect this weekend to be three quarter of Jalen working on his timing with his receivers.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.