Question: Offensive playcalling

ggw98

Nov 12, 2000
Huntsville, Al, USA
First, let me say I am in no way questioning the coaches. They get paid a lot of money to do what they do and they know so much more than I do.

Jalen rarely had time to execute the plays last night - he was running for his life on every snap. I've always heard that to slow down a rush, screen plays and draw plays could be called. IIRC, our screen game was pretty effective last year. There were a couple of throws to the backs in the first half, but those were swing passes instead of screens. I'm sure there's a football reason that we didn't try that, but I just don't know why. Any ideas?

I thought rolling Jalen out may help too, but the DE from FSU was upfield on almost every play, and that was definitely ineffective. I also thought about having a 2 tightend offense and keeping them in to hep block might help. I did see us using 2 tightends later in the game as we were trying to run out the clock.

Last edited:

Tug Tide

All-American
Aug 27, 2006
Redneck Riviera, Panama City Beach, FL
I would mostly chalk up any criticism of Daboll's play calling due to this:
It's been a hot minute since he has been the play caller. I think 2012 was his last OC gig. I feel pretty confident, that like the rest of the team, he will improve greatly over the next couple of games.

Be Patient

CrimsonProf

Hall of Fame
Dec 30, 2006
Birmingham, Alabama
First, let me say I am in no way questioning the coaches. They get paid a lot of money to do what they do and they know so much more than I do.

Jalen rarely had time to execute the plays last night - he was running for his life on every snap. I've always heard that to slow down a rush, screen plays and draw plays could be called. IIRC, our screen game was pretty effective last year. There were a couple of throws to the backs in the first half, but those were swing passes instead of screens. I'm sure there's a football reason that we didn't try that, but I just don't know why. Any ideas?

I thought rolling Jalen out may help too, but the DE from FSU was upfield on almost every play, and that was definitely ineffective. I also thought about having a 2 tightend offense and keeping them in to hep block might help. I did see us using 2 tightends later in the game as we were trying to run out the clock.
Nah, our screen game last year was mostly hot garbage. It was great under Mac and Nuss.

rgw

Suspended
Sep 15, 2003
Tuscaloosa
I think a few times the tailback rotation seemed a bit odd because Damien Harris was the hot hand and Bo was at least falling forward and fighting through for yards. Najee Harris is gonna be a star one day but that was full-grown man football last night and a true freshman in his first start wasn't quite ready for that level of defense. That's fine. I bet he makes some plays this season and maybe even become a star...but last night we should have fed D. Harris and Bo all night because they were getting the tough yards and explosive plays.

There were a few weird playcalling moments but I never found myself questioning the playcalling excessively. Mostly execution problems on the field not from the playcaller.

Tidewater

Hall of Fame
Mar 15, 2003
Hooterville, Vir.
The play-calling on the goal line frustrated me a bit.
On 2nd and goal on the 4, it may be time to bring in a couple of d-linemen and smash it up the middle. Calling a pass in that situation (which resulted in a sack and 3rd an goal on the 11) left me scratching my head a bit.
I'm happy to see how Daboll develops as a play-caller.

Tide Rev

All-American
Mar 22, 2000
Ocean Springs, MS
I could not understand why we did not use motion more...a TE or H-back...the only time I remember we did, we scored. The D was always set and we did not move them around at the LOS. The long TD pass had a play fake and we did not see much of that either. But I am sure there is a reason we do not know about.

BamaBoySince89

All-American
Aug 13, 2016
Harvest, AL
I think we may be ready to call for his head a bit too early, I was frustrated once FSU gave away the ball late in the 3rd Qtr and we couldn't score.

Krymsonman

Hall of Fame
Sep 1, 2009
River Ridge, LA
I thought we would have used more play action, or short passes to the TE etc to slow down the rush. I thought some sort of toss sweep might work sometimes as FSU was quite often stacking the middle of the line. We definitely needed to try something to slow down that outside rush.

Probius

Hall of Fame
Mar 19, 2004
Birmingham, Alabama
Some growing pains under a new OC are too be expected, especially against such a good defense. That was the best defense we'll face all season, and I expect the offense to get much better.

JTBama

All-American
Jul 2, 2005
Some where out there
On 2nd and goal on the 4, it may be time to bring in a couple of d-linemen and smash it up the middle. Calling a pass in that situation (which resulted in a sack and 3rd an goal on the 11) left me scratching my head a bit.
This was the series that bugged me as well

Valley View

3rd Team
Nov 7, 2016
Williamson County, TN
I was not impressed with the offense. I don't know if it was the play calling, execution, or just playing an excellent defense. The talk all summer was FSU's weak defense and how Louisville shredded them. FSU looked pretty tough to me and gave us as much trouble as anyone we have played lately. Most likely a combination of all three things, I have confidence in CNS to adjust where necessary to makes things better. Must be patient.

WMack4Bama

Administrator
Staff member
Nov 7, 2008
Tuscaloosa, AL
I was right there with you until I went back to look at the film. Great play design if Jalen decides to give Cam a chance...he's wide open.

But he'd already made up his mind to take off running if he got pressure, but Cam is....again...wide open.

So...decent play design. Poor execution.

And I've defended Jalen against the world since he set foot on campus. Still do. But this one's on him and his happy feet.

Edit: Jalen also has to see/know that he's gonna have a spy on him every game. On this play, he has two (the middle backer (6) and the safety at the top of the screen (20) ).

Bamabuzzard

FB Moderator
Staff member
Aug 15, 2004
Where ever there's BBQ, Bourbon & Football
It seems we've forgotten what it means to "commit to the run". Our OL was getting their draws handed to them in pass protection. The offense seemed completely out of sync. You could tell the play calling was all over the place. No rhyme or reason for the some of the sequences. I just felt that since the offense was out sync, the pass blocking simply wasn't there. That we'd go to something that put the ball in the players' hands that gave us the best chance to get going, and that's the running backs. We have studs at that position yet we kept trying to force feed the passing game. I had a friend of mine claim that we didn't run two back to back running plays until some point in the second half. Granted, I don't know if that's true or not, but it sure did seem that way. It wasn't until late in the second half that we "committed" to running the ball. Seeing that our attempts at a passing game was futile why did we wait that long before making trying to run the ball?

TiderJack

Hall of Fame
Jul 9, 2010
Inverness, AL
I was right there with you until I went back to look at the film. Great play design if Jalen decides to give Cam a chance...he's wide open.

But he'd already made up his mind to take off running if he got pressure, but Cam is....again...wide open.

And I've defended Jalen against the world since he set foot on campus. Still do. But this one's on him and his happy feet.

Edit: Jalen also has to see/know that he's gonna have a spy on him every game. On this play, he has two (the middle backer (6) and the safety at the top of the screen (20) ).

Thank you. When the execution is bad, which was the case most of the game, the play calling is going to be questioned. If we execute the play calling would have been good and solid.

Tidewater

Hall of Fame
Mar 15, 2003
Hooterville, Vir.

I hear what you are saying. In an ideal world (one in which there is no recent history and with football players who will act as emotionless as if they were in the film room), yes, that was a better play call.
In reality, 3:31 in the 3rd, with a quarterback who has been running for his life from a fast edge rush, I'm not surprised that Jalen would be thinking more about avoiding the pass rush that finding the open receiver.
One of the really remarkable characteristics of Jalen Hurts since his arrival at Alabama is how cool he has been under pressure, but at this stage of this game, Jalen was obviously not able to disregard the pass rush and throw to the open receiver. Smashing it up the middle behind d-linemen as blocking backs would have made the Noles' edge rush irrelevant.
That said, I'm not ready to call for Daboll's head on a platter. It was one game and there were a lot of good play calls and Bama won. There is just some room for improvement.
I guess hanging out with Tom Brady might skew a guy's expectations.

Last edited:

AlexanderFan

Hall of Fame
Jul 23, 2004
Birmingham
Thank you. When the execution is bad, which was the case most of the game, the play calling is going to be questioned. If we execute the play calling would have been good and solid.
Cue the perfectly thrown, but dropped, fade route to Ruggs that has everyone ready to eat Daboll steak during the game.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
I hear what you are saying. In an ideal world (one in which there is no recent history and with football players who will act as emotionless as if they were in the film room), yes, that was a better play call.
In reality, 3:31 in the 3rd, with a quarterback who has been running for his life from a fast edge rush, I'm not surprised that Jalen would be thinking more about avoiding the pass rush that finding the open receiver.
One of the really remarkable characteristics of Jalen Hurts since his arrival at Alabama is how cool he has been under pressure, but at this stage of this game, Jalen was obviously not able to disregard the pass rush and throw to the open receiver. Smashing it up the middle behind d-linemen as blocking backs would have made the Noles' edge rush irrelevant.
That doesn't seem to be in the playbook this season, so far...

ChattTide

All-SEC
Jul 20, 2000
Memphis, TN
Wasn't great. It'll take time.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro[emoji208]
I agree with this.

I have to remind myself like everyone else "This is game one." These guys may have played last year, but we are still going to go through growing pains that will take time. As was said, we faced a pretty darn good defense that did not give Jalen time to decipher and when he did have time, he got happy feet from the pressure before. It will take some patience and some actual game time to iron out the kinks and trust each player to do his job.

I'm watching the WV/ VT game right now and Grier has forever to throw. My brother said it last night, Bama is an OL away from annihilating everyone. I've got faith the OL will improve.

Roll Tide!!
ChattTide

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.