Hurricane Irma......

crimsonaudio

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 9, 2002
crimsonaudio.net
Bad news, both Euro and GFS models now indicate a center of Florida landfall. This could be worse than Andrew, and Homestead looked like Hiroshima after Andrew hit it...

Attachments

Last edited:

crimsonaudio

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 9, 2002
crimsonaudio.net
The last Category 5 hurricane to make landfall in the United States was Andrew, which lashed South Florida with wind gusts of up to 177 miles per hour in 1992. It caused immense devastation and forever changed Florida’s approach to hurricanes.

Twenty-five years later, we have Hurricane Irma — a storm that could be even worse.

Not only is Irma more powerful, it’s also much larger: One recent estimate showed that Irma packs more than five times Andrew’s destructive potential. Its hurricane-force winds cover an area roughly the size of Massachusetts.
http://grist.org/briefly/heres-why-irma-is-a-monster-hurricane-in-one-gif/

Zorak

All-American
Jan 8, 2010
Orlando, FL (Winter Park area)
This would do some serious damage to pretty much the entire state.
Cancelling schools tomorrow through Tuesday at UF (BiL is a 1st year law student there) also Alachua County (mother in law is a teacher just east of Gainesville) they've cancelled school those days too. They're getting worried but planning now to ride it out. Also have family down in Ft. Myers and they're planning now to ride the storm out. (Our advice to them is get the hell out).

ETA (and SIAP) Looks like Gov. Scott has closed all public schools for those dates.

Seeing the recent models going right over Athens, we're preparing up here too. If it looks bad here we might head up towards Chattanooga (two former roommates from Bama lives up there) or towards Tuscaloosa/Birmingham where my family is.

Last edited:

Bazza

TideFans Legend
Oct 1, 2011
New Smyrna Beach, Florida
Bad news, both Euro and GFS models now indicate a center of Florida landfall. This could be worse than Andrew, and Homestead looked like Hiroshima after Andrew hit it...

I feel terrible about those poor folks in South Florida.....I truly hope Irma makes some kind of turn more eastward and out into the Atlantic more. I feel that the further north in Florida you are - the less intense the effects will be. Every little bit helps you know.

Stay safe Bazza

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Thank you, Flum....much appreciated. Pray for everyone in Irma's path....:frown:

I read this as dishwasher and thought that just ain't right. Now a clothes washer makes sense as you may have to wash some drawers.
Exactly! The dryer is 220v and my generator can do that but it's too technical for me so I just stick to the 110v washer part and hang things outside to dry.

Cancelling schools tomorrow through Tuesday at UF (BiL is a 1st year law student there) also Alachua County (mother in law is a teacher just east of Gainesville) they've cancelled school those days too. They're getting worried but planning now to ride it out. Also have family down in Ft. Myers and they're planning now to ride the storm out. (Our advice to them is get the hell out).

ETA (and SIAP) Looks like Gov. Scott has closed all public schools for those dates.

Seeing the recent models going right over Athens, we're preparing up here too. If it looks bad here we might head up towards Chattanooga (two former roommates from Bama lives up there) or towards Tuscaloosa/Birmingham where my family is.
I think the rule of thumb on this one is to go north as far as you can and hope she dies out some by the time she reaches you. Best wishes for your in-laws! BTW, I lived in Ft. Myers for a few years off Summerlin Road and then actually bought a house in Lehigh Acres before re-locating here. I loved that area. That was in the 90's...not as crowded as it probably is now.

Stay safe TIA, and please keep us posted.....

day-day

Hall of Fame
Jan 2, 2005
Bartlett, TN (Memphis area)
I think today was the first day that Irma's updated path forecasts didn't shift eastward. This is not a good sign. Like most everyone, I'm hoping the push comes back and the track starts moving east again.

crimsonaudio

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 9, 2002
crimsonaudio.net
I think today was the first day that Irma's updated path forecasts didn't shift eastward. This is not a good sign. Like most everyone, I'm hoping the push comes back and the track starts moving east again.
Yah, as it's hitting the even warmer waters off the coast of south FL it seems to be staying more westward than most of the models suggested just 12 hours ago. This has more potential than ever to be very, very bad...

MobtownK

All-American
Nov 20, 2004
Mobile, Alabama, United States
Stay safe Bazza.
My friends in Melbourne left town. And if it keeps going west, I'm trying to convince my best friend in St. Pete to leave and go to North Florida to my Dad's house.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

Bazza

TideFans Legend
Oct 1, 2011
New Smyrna Beach, Florida
Watching TV coverage....tons of people stuck in Miami trying to catch a flight out....having a hard time getting seats...fares are high...etc. etc....

I may be ignorant of what is actually possible....but all those politicians who tell us they are doing everything they can to help....they need to send the military in and start transporting people out - right now.

To heck with the corporations who run things.....they can only do so much.

Get those big transport planes in there....and commandeer those cruise ships.....this is no different than being at war....

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
A friend of mine is a master tech with Toyota - one of his friends down in FL sent him this pic - the dealerships are prepping for Irma...

Know the logistics of it would be pretty difficult, but I'm somewhat surprised some of the dealerships in the direct path didn't get haulers to take the cars north.

crimsonaudio

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 9, 2002
crimsonaudio.net
Know the logistics of it would be pretty difficult, but I'm somewhat surprised some of the dealerships in the direct path didn't get haulers to take the cars north.
I suspect there aren't enough haulers in the entire US to cover just the dealerships in FL. Plus, they have insurance...

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.