Hurricane Irma......

gman4tide

All-SEC
Nov 21, 2005
Flint Creek
I have one friend who has had a rant going on Facebook for days about the dangerous stunts newspeople are trying to get camera face time. One clip he posted a day or so ago had a female reporter who is taken out in mid-spiel by a stop sign coming from the left so fact that it's just a blur... :D
Staged

Bazza

TideFans Legend
Oct 1, 2011
New Smyrna Beach, Florida
I have one friend who has had a rant going on Facebook for days about the dangerous stunts newspeople are trying to get camera face time. One clip he posted a day or so ago had a female reporter who is taken out in mid-spiel by a stop sign coming from the left so fact that it's just a blur... :D
Is this it?

92tide

TideFans Legend
May 9, 2000
East Point, Ga, USA
Wow, how many days is that now?
we were out 4 days. they are finally back in today, power was restored to the school at 10pm last night. there were crews from north carolina, utah and alabama working near the school yesterday. my daughter's school is two doors down from our friend's brewery that was also without power 4 days. several large oak trees fell and took out about 3 blocks worth of power lines shutting down the school and 4-5 small businesses. one of the business owners also had a tree fall on their house, so they are going to be in for a rough ride.

TrampLineman

Hall of Fame
Jul 21, 2010
Alabama
Day 23 or 24 here, I've truly lost count! We are wore out in Sarasota but we had a LOT of extra help come in yesterday that should be available today. As usual, FPL is screwed up. They bragging about $3 billion spent on concrete poles, but half of that should have been spent on right of way clearing😂

Not sure if we go South but I doubt it. Hoping to at least go home by the 30th since it's my boy's birthday. Some have been released already but it's scattered.

Last edited:

CajunCrimson

Moderator (FB,BB) and Vinyl Enthusiast
Staff member
Mar 13, 2001
Breaux Bridge, La
Day 23 or 24 here, I've truly lost count! We are wore out in Sarasota but we had a LOT of extra help come in yesterday that should be available today. As usual, FPL is screwed up. They bragging about $3 billion spent on concrete poles, but half of that should have been spent on right of way clearing��

Not sure if we go South but I doubt it. Hoping to at least go home by the 30th since it's my boy's birthday. Some have been released already but it's scattered.
My company is providing a lot of the meals down there.... still can't get into the keys....

We heard "tent cities" are being planned for the SW Coast

Zorak

All-American
Jan 8, 2010
Orlando, FL (Winter Park area)
Family in Fort Myers is all well after the storm. They rode it out in their respective homes as the eye wall passed right through their neighborhood slamming them with nearly 130mph winds for an hour. (Clocked over 125 on RadarScope on my phone at some point during the storm). "Thankfully" my grandmother died back in December so they didn't have to deal with a 96 year old woman and power outages, water shortages, etc. She might not have made it.

We were without power for all of two hours here and some debris in our yard, but even locally we got off lightly. Lots of areas in Athens were without power for a couple of days, and had large trees go down.

Attachments

Bazza

TideFans Legend
Oct 1, 2011
New Smyrna Beach, Florida
Family in Fort Myers is all well after the storm. They rode it out in their respective homes as the eye wall passed right through their neighborhood slamming them with nearly 130mph winds for an hour. (Clocked over 125 on RadarScope on my phone at some point during the storm). "Thankfully" my grandmother died back in December so they didn't have to deal with a 96 year old woman and power outages, water shortages, etc. She might not have made it.

We were without power for all of two hours here and some debris in our yard, but even locally we got off lightly. Lots of areas in Athens were without power for a couple of days, and had large trees go down.
I owned my first home and lived there from '93-'95 in Lehigh Acres (Country Club Estates!)....right in the middle of your screen shot above! YIKES!

Sorry for the loss of your grandma.....but agree it's good she wasn't around for Irma.

BTW.....I planted a small Royal Poinciana Tree in the front yard of my Lehigh Acres home - and quite a few years later - just out of curiosity - I looked up my old home with Google street view and that tree had grown huge! Of course....that tree is a member of the pea family (also known as the Legume Family) and they have the ability to fix nitrogen so naturally they are quite robust in their development. I bet that tree took a severe beating in the storm.....going to look it up again....<cringe>....

Zorak

All-American
Jan 8, 2010
Orlando, FL (Winter Park area)
I owned my first home and lived there from '93-'95 in Lehigh Acres (Country Club Estates!)....right in the middle of your screen shot above! YIKES!

Sorry for the loss of your grandma.....but agree it's good she wasn't around for Irma.

BTW.....I planted a small Royal Poinciana Tree in the front yard of my Lehigh Acres home - and quite a few years later - just out of curiosity - I looked up my old home with Google street view and that tree had grown huge! Of course....that tree is a member of the pea family (also known as the Legume Family) and they have the ability to fix nitrogen so naturally they are quite robust in their development. I bet that tree took a severe beating in the storm.....going to look it up again....<cringe>....
Thanks. She lived a long life (she was 96 when she died). She was a wonderful woman, so much so I named my daughter after her. They never got a chance to meet, unfortunately, as my daughter was only about four months old when she died and I was planning on making a trip down by myself with my daughter to have them meet. My grandmother did see her on FaceTime and saw countless pictures I sent my aunt to show her, so she was most certainly aware of her namesake and upon hearing the date my daughter was born, she said "Now we have reason to celebrate August 3rd" (background, she had a son [so, my uncle] who died at 21 years old on August 3rd back in the 60s, and had dreaded that day ever since).

I spent many summer days in Lehigh back in the 80s and 90s (my grandparents moved there in the late 70s, and I came along in the early 80s). They lived near Lehigh Elementary School (sisters, cousins and I would sneak onto the playground). I haven't been down there much since the late 90s a few years after my grandfather died. My favorite memories, besides being with my grandparents, are actually mostly from the last two times I went down there in 2010 and 2015 (grandmother's 90th and 95th birthday parties). Those were going over to the Harold P. Curtis honey store in Labelle, and seeing the glory that is Fleamasters.

Thankfully it looks like the honey store it through OK with just a roof ripped off.

TrampLineman

Hall of Fame
Jul 21, 2010
Alabama
Wow, Hats off to you. That is an insane amount of work over 30 days

heading to Puerto Rico next?
I would go if I could find a company I like that is going.

My company is providing a lot of the meals down there.... still can't get into the keys....

We heard "tent cities" are being planned for the SW Coast
Yes we were at the Ft. Myers-Naples Dog Track and all of us were staying in tents and sleeping on cots.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.