The Secondary

Jkl0802

1st Team
Apr 9, 2015
Stuttgart, Germany
PS- I think there are examples of this deep ball contest in the last 3 Ole Miss games, both Clemson Games, the Ohio State game, and the Scam Auburn game.

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
PS- I think there are examples of this deep ball contest in the last 3 Ole Miss games, both Clemson Games, the Ohio State game, and the Scam Auburn game.
Well, you're obviously just repeating yourself - you want them to turn their heads. As I said way above, Saban has spoken to this more than once and explained it, so you may as well give it up. You disagree with him. It's not going to change. Period. In each of the completions, the DB was out of phase and turning your head when out of phase will cost you PT when Saban is the coach...

Last edited:

CrimsonProf

Hall of Fame
Dec 30, 2006
Birmingham, Alabama
You're forgetting that in the Cam game, Mark Barron was playing with a torn pec when he gave up those TDs.

You're also comparing apples and oranges.

LSUgrad2BamaDad

All-SEC
May 5, 2016
Destrehan, LA
Ha Ha, Jackson, Dre, Barron, Cyrus Jones, Collins, Humphrey, Eddie Jackson.... Yes, I know Barron is an LB Now....

That's 8 former DBs....plus Sunseri, Sylve and others are hanging around.

Are there many schools with more than 8 in the NFL?

Ohio State has 9 -- and they are DBU.....

If Dee had made it -- we'd be tied....

Umm, LSU has 9 on active rosters, one on practice squad and one on Injured reserve-return list meaning he will come back mid season. Nice little dig in there since LSU throws around DBU.

Also, I would take LSU's current secondary before Alabama's. There are other positions like OL and QB where I would absolutely take Bama. But, when Alabama is offering guys like Savion Smith who transferred out because he couldn't make the depth chart at LSU, I think that tells you something.

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
Umm, LSU has 9 on active rosters, one on practice squad and one on Injured reserve-return list meaning he will come back mid season. Nice little dig in there since LSU throws around DBU.

Also, I would take LSU's current secondary before Alabama's. There are other positions like OL and QB where I would absolutely take Bama. But, when Alabama is offering guys like Savion Smith who transferred out because he couldn't make the depth chart at LSU, I think that tells you something.
Smith got the offer because he has experience, and Alabama loses so much in the secondary this year. Minkah, Averrett, Hootie, Tony Brown, and Levi Wallace are all gone. Ronnie Harrison could possibly leave, as well. We need some guys with experience.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
You're looking at games that span a six season time period - we've altered our defense significantly in that time.
One thing hasn't altered and it's what he started this thread about - DBs turning their heads, which seems to be a particular burr under his saddle. Saban teaches turning your head when in phase - matching the receiver stride for stride and shoulders squared with his. Out of phase, you basically face-guard, as allowed in the NCAA, and react to the receiver's eyes. Turning when out of phase is an easy reception. Like it or not, this is Saban's formula and it's not likely to change. It's also not likely that people will understand Saban's formula or that we will cease having annual threads on this point...

BamaHoHo

All-American
Aug 7, 2007
Coaling, Alabama, United States
One thing hasn't altered and it's what he started this thread about - DBs turning their heads, which seems to be a particular burr under his saddle. Saban teaches turning your head when in phase - matching the receiver stride for stride and shoulders squared with his. Out of phase, you basically face-guard, as allowed in the NCAA, and react to the receiver's eyes. Turning when out of phase is an easy reception. Like it or not, this is Saban's formula and it's not likely to change. It's also not likely that people will understand Saban's formula or that we will cease having annual threads on this point...
It seems to be working for us in the W column.

WMack4Bama

Administrator
Staff member
Nov 7, 2008
Tuscaloosa, AL
Is it just me, or does anyone else wonder why it seems Bama's elite defensive backs always seem to end up on the losing end of Contested / jump balls? I wish the defensive backs would look back when they sense the ball getting close so they could knock more balls down. I'm not specifically referring to the FSU game as this trend has existed for several seasons. And if it's this hard to cover deep contested balls why don't we throw it up more often when we see 1 on 1 coverage...rather than throwing it out of bounds?
Hello Sir. You are correct. Despite what anyone has told you in this thread (and I haven't read the whole thing), you are correct. This is what our DBs coach (not the DB coach in title....the actual DB coach) teaches them. It drives me nuts (and has done so for his entire 11 season tenure), BUT, the end results are desirable and very much appreciated. So I don't / won't complain.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.