Game Thread: Tennessee Vs D A Baxter (Ga Tech)

EscaTider

Hall of Fame
Oct 2, 2008
Flomaton, AL
When I see that putrid orange, I always think of Junior and Lulu. This has to be one of my favorite Photoshop pictures of all time-

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

TideEngineer08

TideFans Legend
Jun 9, 2009
Beautiful Cullman, AL
Well, Dodd legitimately got mad over the 140 rule for scholarships. In fact, Alabama's President broke with Coach Bryant who SUPPORTED DODD'S position on scholarships. (The 140 rule stated you could have 140 scholarship athletes for football and men's b-ball - note that things like Title IX, passed in 1972, would later affect this stuff).

The Holt-Graining incident was played up by the press (Bisher) because they got jealous of Bryant beating them. Dodd didn't want to leave the SEC, but he felt he had no choice and couldn't compete.

It was a colossal mistake as everyone involved even at Tech today now admits. If they'd just been patient, Tech would still be in the SEC today and who knows - maybe S Carolina wouldn't....
I know I've read in some book that they felt they could be a southern Notre Dame. Of course they found out in short order they could not.

BamaDMD

Hall of Fame
Sep 10, 2007
Rainsville Al
You know, Ga Tech does the trip opt very well, but I don't understand why they don't recruit a QB that can throw also. If a team can shut the opt down well then thats all they got. All they would have to do is make a few of their passes to be successful.

selmaborntidefan

TideFans Legend
Mar 31, 2000
We my have to end up agreeing to disagree. There may be a split in the fan base, but a sizeable contingent has the snooty attitude.
Now is different but back in the day it was a scholarship issue.

On the flip side, I agree with you. One of the biggest snoots I know was a Tech attendee.

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
The TN QB is not very good. Huge step backward for them at that position from the last few years.

tattooguy21

Suspended
Aug 14, 2012
Holy crap, that punter from Tennessee just put up a j.k Scott plus some kick. Seriously, it was incredible

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

Con

Hall of Fame
Dec 19, 2006
Northern Hemisphere
I am pulling for tech. Living in tn and listening to all of them running their yapper to me last week about how fsu would beat us just makes me pull harder against them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.