Former Notre Dame LB Sues School and Brian Kelly, Claims MRI Results Concealed

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
Click

A former Notre Dame football player is suing the university for allegedly concealing results from an MRI and instructing him to keep playing while he was risking a spinal cord injury.

A lawsuit filed by former Fighting Irish linebacker Douglas Randolph, obtained by The Indianapolis Star, states that Notre Dame did not provide results of an MRI that Randolph underwent after experiencing "numbness in his upper extremities" stemming from a hit in a practice drill in September 2015. Randolph played the entire 2015 season and later was diagnosed with spinal stenosis. He also might have permanent nerve damage in his neck, according to the lawsuit.

Online records show the case was filed Sept. 1 in St. Joseph County (Indiana) Circuit Court. It names Notre Dame, head coach Brian Kelly, head football athletic trainer Rob Hunt, several doctors and others as defendants.

According to the lawsuit obtained by the Star, Randolph immediately informed Hunt of his symptoms but was instructed to return to practice minutes later. He continued to feel the symptoms after every hit he absorbed. After the MRI, Hunt and a team doctor told Randolph he could continue to play, according to the lawsuit.

"If he had been told the truth about the results of this MRI scan, his football career would have ended on that date and all subsequent injuries and permanent damage he has endured would have never occurred," the lawsuit states.

The lawsuit alleges that Randolph experienced numbness in both arms and both legs while playing in the Fiesta Bowl against Ohio State on Jan. 1, 2016, but was told by Hunt to keep playing. He had a second MRI after the game that revealed the spinal stenosis. Kelly announced in March 2016 that Randolph's football career had ended and that he would be taking a medical hardship because of spondylosis, or spinal osteoarthritis. Randolph remained with the team as a student assistant for the 2016 season, working with the defensive line, and he graduated in the spring of 2017. He appeared in 19 games for the Irish, recording six tackles.

Bamabuzzard

FB Moderator
Staff member
Aug 15, 2004
Where ever there's BBQ, Bourbon & Football
Can't remember if it was someone on here or another board I frequent. But "they" said "Lawsuits will be what ends football as we know it today." The game of football may not go away. But the way it's played very well may go by the wayside for a much safer, conscious friendly version. N.D. is about to pay out the wazzoo on this one. This is wrong on so many levels.

efd840

1st Team
Nov 23, 2009
Can't remember if it was someone on here or another board I frequent. But "they" said "Lawsuits will be what ends football as we know it today." The game of football may not go away. But the way it's played very well may go by the wayside for a much safer, conscious friendly version. N.D. is about to pay out the wazzoo on this one. This is wrong on so many levels.
IF they're true, then ND has a big problem but it is also wrong to assume the claims made in the lawsuit are factual. He could just as easily be someone who is sad that their life didn't play out the way they want and has decided to try and cash a check.

Gotta let the facts play out.

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
IF they're true, then ND has a big problem but it is also wrong to assume the claims made in the lawsuit are factual. He could just as easily be someone who is sad that their life didn't play out the way they want and has decided to try and cash a check.

This. Sounds really bad, but the claims would sound really bad. I feel for the young man, but I find it hard to believe this story. I know one of the coaches on that staff and he would never have allowed this to happen.

Bamabuzzard

FB Moderator
Staff member
Aug 15, 2004
Where ever there's BBQ, Bourbon & Football

Agreed. I didn't express it but it was implied "if the the claims are true".

PitMaster

Suspended
Aug 24, 2015
There is another board?

And, I will offer a correction, it is Lawyers and their scheming ways that will end EVERYTHING we love in life.

bamamc1

Hall of Fame
Oct 24, 2011
Haleyville, AL
This. Sounds really bad, but the claims would sound really bad. I feel for the young man, but I find it hard to believe this story. I know one of the coaches on that staff and he would never have allowed this to happen.
The first tip off for me was the 19 games played and 6 tackles. I find it hard to think he was that much of a difference maker for this to have taken place.

KrAzY3

Hall of Fame
Jan 18, 2006
kraizy.art
the way it's played very well may go by the wayside for a much safer, conscious friendly version.
This has nothing to do with how football is played though. If they really did conceal medical information from him that's criminal, and would never have been acceptable in any sport at any time.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.