Link: Urban Meyer Driven 'Insane' by Herman, Muschamp Blaming Inherited Players

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
Click

Urban Meyer knows a thing or two about respectfully replacing legends.

Twelve years ago, Ohio State's current coach started a successful run at Florida just four seasons after Steve Spurrier left the Gators. In late 2011, he became the first permanent coach following the firing of Jim Tressel.

On Saturday, Meyer will coach against Oklahoma's Lincoln Riley, who himself is three months into taking over for the suddenly retired Bob Stoops.

Meyer said it drives him "insane" when coaches blame players they inherited from a previous staff.

rolltide_21

Hall of Fame
Dec 9, 2007
NW AL
That was a good read. I actually agree with Meyer on this one. I don't remember Saban making this excuse nor Meyer. Great coaches don't. They take what they have and win with them. Yes, the talent increases as we've obviously seen in Tuscaloosa but when you come in as a new coach those are your players. You do the best you can with them and let the chips fall where they may.

selmaborntidefan

TideFans Legend
Mar 31, 2000
He's right.

Of course, I'm right to observe that Meyer himself went 8-5 with the team he left Muschamp, too.

I'm equally right to observe he supposedly quit to spend time with his family and see his kids grow up, which apparently took "they grow up so fast these days" to a new level.

CrimsonForce

Hall of Fame
Dec 20, 2012
Serious question. Has Urban ever won big with his own roster? Urban was at Bowling Green for 2 years and there was a really good QB already on the roster but his name escapes me. Then, IIRC, he was only at Utah for 2 years and he inherited Alex Smith at QB who went on to be the #1 overall pick in the draft. Then he goes to UF and wins the NC his second year with mostly Ron Zook's players in 2006. Now, he did win it all in 2008 with Tebow and company so I guess that's the 1 time you could single out that he's won big with his own players since that was his fourth year at UF. At OSU he's had pretty much sustained success since he's been there but won the NC in 2014 which I guess was a mixture of his players and the previous staff. Urban's record speaks for itself and it's a gaudy record so I'm not trying to discredit him but just wonder if he could sustain success at one place for as long as Saban, Bowden, etc. Just looking back over his record he's been very fortunate to inherit elite QBs and talent at every place he's been a head coach which is why I think he made the comments he did in the article linked in the OP. I bet he'd feel differently if he didn't take over a roster with the #1 overall pick or a team that was as loaded as UF and OSU..

rolltide7854

All-American
Aug 20, 2007
Birmingham, Ala
I agree with what CUM said about inherited players but Muschamp was IMO correct in saying that he had to change the culture at Fla. From what I heard back them was some of the players were given special treatment because they were the stars.

Chukker Veteran

Hall of Fame
Feb 6, 2001
He's right.

I'm equally right to observe he supposedly quit to spend time with his family and see his kids grow up, which apparently took "they grow up so fast these days" to a new level.
Urban showed his true character when he hid his fear of facing Saban on a regular basis behind concern over "being with his family." When he quit at Florida, the Florida people had payed him enough to at least get a straight answer from him about why he was bailing. Not some obvious bunk about his not spending enough time with his kids.

cuda.1973

Hall of Fame
Dec 6, 2009
Allen, Texas
I wonder if shortness of breath and heart palpitations come with that insanity.

Hmmm...............lemme ponder that............

After serious introspection, I can honestly say that shortness of breath and heart palpitations can lead to some sort of insanity. (Not sure what kind, but that is not the subject at hand.)

I have no idea what Urban Crier's problem is.

(Well, ok, we all know what, or who, the first guess is.) :biggrin2:

cuda.1973

Hall of Fame
Dec 6, 2009
Allen, Texas
I agree with what CUM said about inherited players but Muschamp was IMO correct in saying that he had to change the culture at Fla. From what I heard back them was some of the players were given special treatment because they were the stars.
Uh, are we talking about Mike Shula, again? :biggrin2:

theballguy

Hall of Fame
Nov 5, 2012
Roll Tide Roll, Colorado USA
CUM is a very good championship coach. He will be remembered as such after he's retired.

And yes, he's right. But he really shouldn't be the one to be pointing this stuff out. He did leave a mess at UF. I'd be willing to give him the benefit of the doubt since writers are known to write stuff a bit out of context but for me, that's a little awkward and could be seen fairly as self-pontificating.

GP for Bama

All-American
Feb 3, 2011
Great comments by Urban Meyer. Like him or not, he is a very successful coach....and this is one reason.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.