What constitutes Dyslexia?

Displaced Bama Fan

Hall of Fame
Jun 5, 2000
Shiner, TX
Periodically, I'll catch myself and correct what I consider grammatical mistakes or putting words in what most would perceive as not necessarily the most logical place. Take for instance, the Taco Bell employee thread I just started. I re-read the title and thought to myself "Why didn't I just say 'armed Taco Bell employees' instead of armed employees at Taco Bell.' "

I find myself doing this all the time but I'm more conscious of it now. Thoughts?

I've never had a problem reading, in fact, I enjoy reading and typically read a good book in a matter of 2-3 days (well, evenings).

Or is it just a sign of uber-intelligence that my mind is processing more quickly than my hands can type? ;)

cbi1972

Hall of Fame
Nov 8, 2005
Birmingham, AL
"Armed employees" more directly links "armed" with "employees" than does "Armed Taco Bell employees"

If the restaurant name were longer, or could itself be interpreted as something that could be armed, then more confusion would result from the "Armed X employees" formulation.

Untangling this formulation might prove difficult on the first try: Armed Bob Evans employee, Evan "Bob" Roberts, kills would-be robber Rob Evans.

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
"Dyslexia" comes from one of the Latin words for read - "lego." (The "dys" part should be obvious.) Your problem is, you think, in writing, therefore "dysgraphia." (I don't think you have it - it's normally a product of brain injury or disease.) :)

selmaborntidefan

TideFans Legend
Mar 31, 2000
Periodically, I'll catch myself and correct what I consider grammatical mistakes or putting words in what most would perceive as not necessarily the most logical place. Take for instance, the Taco Bell employee thread I just started. I re-read the title and thought to myself "Why didn't I just say 'armed Taco Bell employees' instead of armed employees at Taco Bell.' "

I find myself doing this all the time but I'm more conscious of it now. Thoughts?

I've never had a problem reading, in fact, I enjoy reading and typically read a good book in a matter of 2-3 days (well, evenings).

Or is it just a sign of uber-intelligence that my mind is processing more quickly than my hands can type? ;)
It's where you don't eat; it's what killed Karen Carpenter. You feel hungry but you don't eat.

seebell

Hall of Fame
Mar 12, 2012
Gurley, Al
On a more serious note, The Scottish Rite Masons do many good things for dyslexic children. My dear departed Dad helped raise much money for this program.

http://www.dyslexia-reading-well.com/scottish-rite-dyslexia.html

The first Scottish Rite program to help children with speech and language disorders was established in the early 1950s in Colorado. The tremendous success of the program led to the establishment of over 170 additional clinics providing diagnostic evaluation and treatment of speech and language disorders, as well as other learning disabilities.
The first Canadian Scottish Rite literacy program was piloted in London Ontario in 2003. The success of that program has led to the establishment of seven more Canadian learning centers.

Unfortunately, DBF is too old, at least chronologically, for this program.:wink:

Displaced Bama Fan

Hall of Fame
Jun 5, 2000
Shiner, TX
On a more serious note, The Scottish Rite Masons do many good things for dyslexic children. My dear departed Dad helped raise much money for this program.

http://www.dyslexia-reading-well.com/scottish-rite-dyslexia.html

The first Scottish Rite program to help children with speech and language disorders was established in the early 1950s in Colorado. The tremendous success of the program led to the establishment of over 170 additional clinics providing diagnostic evaluation and treatment of speech and language disorders, as well as other learning disabilities.
The first Canadian Scottish Rite literacy program was piloted in London Ontario in 2003. The success of that program has led to the establishment of seven more Canadian learning centers.

Unfortunately, DBF is too old, at least chronologically, for this program.:wink:
I'm a child at heart, doesn't that help? Although after helping friends demolish walls, flooring, cabinets, etc. due to water damage, my back has other thoughts on my age...

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.