Link: Huge data theft on Equifax - action needed by everyone...

Tide1986

Suspended
Nov 22, 2008
Birmingham, AL
Last edited:

CaliforniaTide

All-American
Aug 9, 2006
Huntsville, AL
I got the dreaded "potential" message. We regularly look over our statements, so I haven't seen anything. But I have noticed a slight uptick in the junk mail that makes it to my inbox.

ccc2259

All-American
Oct 29, 2010
Lower Alabama
First of all, thanks, Earle for posting this. I went to the link and was able to find out right then they believe my info was part of the hack. I saw two links: one to find out if you were hacked, and one to enroll in their protection plan. When I clicked the first link, it asked for last name and last 6 numbers of SS#. That link gave me the bad news. The second link is where you enroll. For some weird reason, my effective protection date doesn't start until 5 days from now, and without getting a reminder, I'm obligated to go to another link to compete the enrollment. Frustrating indeed. But, I wasn't delayed in finding out whether or not my info was hacked.

I gotta wonder if the affected parties have any legal action available, especially since one of their officers had time to sell stock before this news went public?

DzynKingRTR

TideFans Legend
Dec 17, 2003
Vinings, ga., usa
First of all, thanks, Earle for posting this. I went to the link and was able to find out right then they believe my info was part of the hack. I saw two links: one to find out if you were hacked, and one to enroll in their protection plan. When I clicked the first link, it asked for last name and last 6 numbers of SS#. That link gave me the bad news. The second link is where you enroll. For some weird reason, my effective protection date doesn't start until 5 days from now, and without getting a reminder, I'm obligated to go to another link to compete the enrollment. Frustrating indeed. But, I wasn't delayed in finding out whether or not my info was hacked.

I gotta wonder if the affected parties have any legal action available, especially since one of their officers had time to sell stock before this news went public?
Bad news for me too

64met

All-American
Oct 12, 2007
I still don't get it. Last night, the site basically provided nothing more than check back Sept 12. Today I check the site and it says potential of being hacked. It then says click enroll button, which I do. Again, it says one more time check back Sept 12.

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA

I was afraid that too many wouldn't see it. There is another remedy, which I would do, if I were in the "potential" category. (And may do anyway.) That is to "freeze" your credit, which you can do through Equifax (or the other two). The disadvantage is that you can't take out a new card, buy a house or car on credit - unless you temporarily "unfreeze" your credit. I would seriously consider it. As I posted, I subscribe to one of the ID theft services, so I should get notice independently of EquiFax...

CharminTide

Hall of Fame
Oct 23, 2005
I was afraid that too many wouldn't see it. There is another remedy, which I would do, if I were in the "potential" category. (And may do anyway.) That is to "freeze" your credit, which you can do through Equifax (or the other two). The disadvantage is that you can't take out a new card, buy a house or car on credit - unless you temporarily "unfreeze" your credit. I would seriously consider it. As I posted, I subscribe to one of the ID theft services, so I should get notice independently of EquiFax...
Yup.

So, Equifax says your data was hacked—now what?

rolltide_21

Hall of Fame
Dec 9, 2007
NW AL
Just tried to enroll told me to comeback on 9/11 and my wife on 9/12. This is stupid. Still haven't heard why there's a delay.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

rolltide_21

Hall of Fame
Dec 9, 2007
NW AL
Hoo boy! Accept their monitoring and you've given up the right to a class action and agreed to arbitration...

Bloomberg
Do you think their arbitration clause would hold up? Read a few sources on it (popular level sources) which were spilt on it.

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
Do you think their arbitration clause would hold up? Read a few sources on it (popular level sources) which were spilt on it.

Doubtful, since it's basically obtained by trickery. Still a headache, though. I clicked "agree," but I'm going to try to back out. I already have ID protection superior to the Equifax's contractor...

rolltide_21

Hall of Fame
Dec 9, 2007
NW AL
Doubtful, since it's basically obtained by trickery. Still a headache, though. I clicked "agree," but I'm going to try to back out. I already have ID protection superior to the Equifax's contractor...
Gotcha. It will protect them against some who would assume their hands are tied. But there will be a lawyer who will challenge it and win. Then the flood gates will open against them.

CrimsonNagus

Hall of Fame
Jun 6, 2007
Montgomery, Alabama, United States
The enrollment date is for you to sign up for the free year of identity theft protection. I think they are just trying to lighten the server load for the Total ID Premier service by staggering the enrollment dates.

My wife's data was not compromised but mine may have been.

This message appeared on the equifaxsecurity2017.com site today:

A Progress Update for Consumers

September 8, 2017

We understand that some consumers are experiencing difficulties getting the answers and support they need through our website and call center. Ramping up the website and call center to handle the anticipated volume is ongoing and we are focused on making improvements as quickly as possible. We apologize for any inconvenience this process has created.

Thus far today, we’ve made the following adjustments:

1). YOU CAN DETERMINE YOUR STATUS IMMEDIATELY
Some consumers who visited the website soon after its launch failed to receive confirmation clarifying whether or not they were potentially impacted. That issue is now resolved, and we encourage those consumers to revisit the site to receive a response that clarifies their status.

2). NO WAIVER OF RIGHTS FOR THIS CYBER SECURITY INCIDENT
In response to consumer inquiries, we have made it clear that the arbitration clause and class action waiver included in the Equifax and TrustedID Premier terms of use does not apply to this cybersecurity incident.

3). EXPANDED OUR CALL CENTER
We have tripled our call center team to over 2000 agents and continue to add agents.

Our goal is to make this process as convenient and consistent as possible. We will continue to identify steps to improve this process.

And we will continue as well to listen to your comments and suggestions.

Last edited:

2003TIDE

Hall of Fame
Jul 10, 2007
ATL
Apparently since being called on it, you can send them a written notice for a waiver as long as it is within 30 days of registering. They are really making this easy for the customers.

CharminTide

Hall of Fame
Oct 23, 2005
I wouldn't trust the Equifax site lookup tool.

I just typed a bunch of completely random names and numbers into the fields. It gave me "potentially impacted" and "not impacted" answers at random.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.