Link: Huge data theft on Equifax - action needed by everyone...

NationalTitles18

TideFans Legend
May 25, 2003
Mountainous Northern California
Equifax is rightly being taken to task:

http://www.marketwatch.com/story/af...all-customers-if-they-are-affected-2017-09-07

After huge data breach, Equifax not telling all customers if they are affected

According to a report from Bloomberg News, at least three Equifax executives sold the company’s shares in the time between the discovery and the announcement, none of which were part of planned divestments.
https://motherboard.vice.com/en_us/...-was-included-in-the-equifax-breach-good-luck

Want to Know If Your SSN Was Included in the Equifax Breach? Good Luck!
"It's not good incident response for them at all, and that's not what transparent behavior looks like at all," Jessy Irwin, an independent cybersecurity researcher told Motherboard. "They need to have a check status page. It's the most hostile decision they could have made, and a very bad overture to potentially affected consumers."
ETA: Actually, pretty typical for a CRA, if you ask me.

day-day

Hall of Fame
Jan 2, 2005
Bartlett, TN (Memphis area)
I don't remember the exact messages but I got a different response between entering my wife's information and entering mine. My message gave me the date to continue the process but didn't specifically mention whether my data was breached or not (I think it said it may have been). My wife's information got a message that said her data was not at risk and gave a date to continue. So, no news is bad news?

Last edited:

64met

All-American
Oct 12, 2007
I don't get it. Why the delay in my case to September 12 to see if my data was breached. A simple yes/no would suffice.

Bamaro

TideFans Legend
Oct 19, 2001
Jacksonville, Md USA
Seems they want to make enrollment as much a pain as they can.

Thanks for the info.
I already signed up. No big deal, only took a couple of minutes. Be aware that you will be directed to a website "trustedidpremier" to sign up and it will ask for personal info to properly identify you. This is OK as long as you are not using public wi-fi and are on a secured connection.

2003TIDE

Hall of Fame
Jul 10, 2007
ATL
This. Sign up, come back on a special date to see if you were affected. Big douchebag move.
Did they cover what was in the TOS when you sign up? It's a big CYA and you waive your rights to any lawsuit.

AGREEMENT TO RESOLVE ALL DISPUTES BY BINDING INDIVIDUAL ARBITRATION. PLEASE READ THIS ENTIRE SECTION CAREFULLY BECAUSE IT AFFECTS YOUR LEGAL RIGHTS BY REQUIRING ARBITRATION OF DISPUTES (EXCEPT AS SET FORTH BELOW) AND A WAIVER OF THE ABILITY TO BRING OR PARTICIPATE IN A CLASS ACTION, CLASS ARBITRATION, OR OTHER REPRESENTATIVE ACTION. ARBITRATION PROVIDES A QUICK AND COST EFFECTIVE MECHANISM FOR RESOLVING DISPUTES, BUT YOU SHOULD BE AWARE THAT IT ALSO LIMITS YOUR RIGHTS TO DISCOVERY AND APPEAL.

Last edited:

cbi1972

Hall of Fame
Nov 8, 2005
Birmingham, AL
Jail time awaits.
How biotech executives profit from legal insider trades

A 2006 study from Stanford University looked at more than 3,000 planned insider trades across all industries and found that executives’ stock sales systematically came just before bad news and right on the heels of good, helping them maximize returns and minimize losses.

And if you subtract trades that some executives schedule to be executed at the same time each year, it looks even fishier. A 2012 Harvard University study examined two decades of irregularly timed insider trades. Those transactions beat the market by as much as 25 percent each year, researchers found, suggesting insiders have a serious edge over external investors.

Those two findings are particularly pertinent in biotech, an industry known for its stock volatility, said Alan Jagolinzer, who authored the Stanford study and is now a professor of finance at the University of Colorado. A company can be completely wiped out by a bad clinical trial and boosted fivefold by a good one; the timing of a trade can swing tens of millions of dollars.

So how are executives beating the spread?

One possibility, Jagolinzer said, is by taking advantage of a wrinkle in the law: Holders of 10b5-1 plans are allowed to cancel them at any time and for any reason, and they don’t have to disclose that to the public. (They also aren’t required to disclose the existence of their plans ahead of time.)

Let’s say a biotech CEO learns that, in two days, her company is going to announce clinical results that will surely boost its stock price. She can’t legally buy up a bunch of the company’s shares right then — that would be the bad kind of insider trading — but she can cancel a scheduled 10b5-1 sale to avoid dumping stock just before its price soars.

“That is a strategy that can be technically compliant with the rule,” Jagolinzer said.
Not necessarily

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.