Question: Last game before conference play begins. What would you like to see this Saturday?

CajunCrimson

Moderator (FB,BB) and Vinyl Enthusiast
Staff member
Mar 13, 2001
Breaux Bridge, La
Here's the thing with Daboll, people were hoping he'd run and so far he's done that. I'm just not sure this is what people had in mind.

Against FSU, a tough defense, they rushed 42 times and passed 18 times. That's obviously not balanced. By comparison Alabama ran 34 times and passed 32 times against Clemson. The thing is, you'd expect Alabama to open things up more against Fresno State. Instead, Alabama rushed 39 times and passed 27 time (and they were still passing fairly late in the game).

The thing is, most Alabama games last year saw balanced passing/rushing attempts. Daboll clearly isn't doing that (yet at least). It should be pointed out though that he's a relatively unproven commodity as a play caller (a few shaky years as an NFL OC) and he's also not a college guy at all really. So, he might still be adjusting to the college game, or he might just be a more risk adverse play caller, which is what a lot of people wanted anyway. Clearly though, Hurts isn't the only reason Alabama is running more, because it was usually more balanced last year.

Then we have a bit of an unknown when it comes to the offensive line. We haven't really seen a lot of Alabama just methodically ramming the ball down the throats of the opponents, we haven't seen a lot of Hurts having all day in the pocket. It's early though, but I do hope the line can really become a weapon and if they do I think we'll see more good things from the offense.

Finally, there is Hurts. He's played well, he's got better stats than last year, but the limited pass attempts are a concern. I think in the next game we'd all like to see Alabama open things up more, pass more, and really showcase that aspect of the offense. However, there are several moving parts that have to come together in order for that to happen.

We have it good ;) --- compared to some

rgw

Suspended
Sep 15, 2003
Tuscaloosa
I'll keep it simple:

A comfortable win with no injuries and some encouraging developments in all phases.

Nobody can complain about that right?

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
I'll keep it simple:

A comfortable win with no injuries and some encouraging developments in all phases.

Nobody can complain about that right?
Yeah, but will we develop enough? That's the real question.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
Well yeah, we have a LONG way to go with the retooled OLB group.
Was being sarcastic because we know some will still not be satisfied because the improvements aren't enough for their wants and expectations.

You're correct, though. Need to improve the OLBs after the injuries.

dtgreg

All-American
Jul 24, 2000
Tuscaloosa
www.electricmonkeywrench.com
Just overall improvement. Passing, blocking, rushing the passer..it's already been said.

I really enjoyed seeing so many 2nd/3rd string get to play, hope we can do that again. It'll pay off I believe.
^^^^ THIS. I don't want us trying to make our Caddilac beat a sports car in the turns. We're looking really good. We do need better O-line play. Jalen covered a lot of problems there last year. They've had a year to figure things out.

Alasippi

Suspended
Aug 31, 2007
Ocean Springs, MS
First of all, in this game, Coach Saban's not going to show any future opponent anything of any usefulness at all.
Therefore, we're probably not going to look vastly improved at anything. That's not a negative statement just probably true.
My hope is that we win and no one gets injured. That's it.

Last edited:

gtowntide

All-American
Mar 1, 2011
Memphis,TN.
I have a feeling that between Ridley, Foster, Sims and Judy somebody is open on all pass plays. Our WR's have tremendous speed and are athletic and should beat their man. Jalen just needs to find one of them! If our OL is not giving him enough time, throw quick slants to the TE or RB and build up Jalen's confidence. Fresno State was doing this to us and at one time their QB was 8 for 8. Just get the quick hitter.

Last edited:

BamaMoon

Hall of Fame
Apr 1, 2004
Boone, NC
First of all, in this game, Coach Saban's not going to show any future opponent anything of any usefulness at all.
Therefore, we're probably not going to look vastly improved at anything. That's not a negative statement just probably true.
Not that I necessarily disagree, but I'd like to see us use this game to prove to Jalen that he can stand in the pocket and find open receivers. That's not showing any future opponent anything except they better not stack the line against us.

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
Showing future opponents stuff and blocking a blitz are not the same thing, though. That's how the team can look improved.

We could run the same plays we ran Saturday but have better pass protection, which would allow Jalen to throw the deep routes. There's the improvement without showing anything more to future and more difficult opponents.

Alasippi

Suspended
Aug 31, 2007
Ocean Springs, MS
Showing future opponents stuff and blocking a blitz are not the same thing, though. That's how the team can look improved.

We could run the same plays we ran Saturday but have better pass protection, which would allow Jalen to throw the deep routes. There's the improvement without showing anything more to future and more difficult opponents.

The pass blocking does indeed to get quite a bit better. Hopefully Saturday will be a first step.

Ole Man Dan

Hall of Fame
Apr 21, 2008
Gadsden, Al.
Better OL and DL play. (Do that and we win em all)

Continue to spread the ball around down the field.
(Most times when we try to pass behind the line, a Defender is there by the time the ball arrives. It has been a wasted play for us)
I'd like to see us own the middle of the field.

Better Special Team play...
Our kicking game is below par, our return game is somewhat below par too.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.