Reporter: Why you should not donate to the Red Cross after a disaster

Bodhisattva

Hall of Fame
Aug 22, 2001
Ponte Vedra Beach, Florida
I try to go for direct assistance whenever possible.

ETA: In fact, right now my wife is in Seattle attending an anesthesia conference. She has a former favorite teacher of hers from Vietnam who now lives in Portland with his daughter and two grandchildren. They are poor and her teacher is in his 80s. After the conference she will make the drive to Portland, as this will likely be the last time she sees him. Several years ago we decided to make sure his grandchildren could go to college if they so choose. No administrative salaries or other overhead to fund. On this micro level, the cycle of poverty will be broken.

Last edited:

DzynKingRTR

TideFans Legend
Dec 17, 2003
Vinings, ga., usa
Most of these supposed charities are pointless. They don't help. If you want to help donate directly and not through these "charities".

The only thing I ever donated to the Red Cross was blood.

Intl.Aperture

All-American
Aug 12, 2015
Chesapeake, Virginia
The Red Cross does do some things well in the immediate wake of a disaster, but it's such a giant bureaucratic behemoth that unfortunately it's very hard to guarantee that your dollar is getting the proper leverage.

It's true that smaller orgs typically get more of your dollar directly to those affected but the tradeoff is that they typically don't have the corporate connections of a larger org. What I mean by that is that $1,000 to a local charity may enable them to purchase a pallet of water at or slightly below retail price - but a larger org will have connections with Nestle or Coca-Cola and will be able to buy 4 pallets of water for the same figure - or not pay at all. There is a term for these partnerships and the product trade called "Gifts In Kind" or "GIK." A big org will get a ton of free product from Quaker Oats and Powerade that they can then shift and distribute.

The silver lining in these differentials is that many times the larger orgs will "partner" with the smaller orgs and allow them to use their big time contacts to distribute GIK properly. That's the best synergy you can hope for because you get the efficiency and personal touch of a local charity with the corporate resources of a larger aid organization.

So, I wouldn't say NEVER give to the Red Cross but I would be cautious about it. They are great with shelters and food right after a disaster - typically.

I may have posted this before but if you want to know how an organization spends their money, go to https://www.charitynavigator.org/ and type in the name of the company you are looking at. There are still things that can be hidden and shuffled away, but it gives you a good idea of what they are doing with most of their cash.

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
Seems like the best thing for Red Cross to do would be to turn around and just make cash grants to as many people as possible. Even a thousand dollars makes a lot of difference to someone who's lost everything. I know. Not sexy enough...

seebell

Hall of Fame
Mar 12, 2012
Gurley, Al
http://abc13.com/red-cross-to-provide-$400-for-hurricane-harvey-victims/2403493/

[FONT=&quot]HOUSTON, Texas (KTRK) --[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]The American Red Cross is providing some financial assistance for those impacted by Hurricane Harvey.[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]With the Immediate Assistance Program, people who were directly affected by the storm can receive $400.[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]"Thanks to our generous donors, the American Red Cross will be providing financial assistance to Texas households that were severely impacted by Harvey and need help taking care of emergency needs," a Red Cross spokeswoman said.[/FONT]

Crimson1967

Hall of Fame
Nov 22, 2011
Seems like the best thing for Red Cross to do would be to turn around and just make cash grants to as many people as possible. Even a thousand dollars makes a lot of difference to someone who's lost everything. I know. Not sexy enough...
We give UMCOR.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

bamachile

Hall of Fame
Jul 27, 2007
Oakdale, Louisiana
Experiences may vary, but my experiences with the ARC have been negative overall. I donate directly - in my case that's church to church. We (my church) locate a church acting as a distribution center in the affected area and get supplies to them. Works well.

uafanataum

All-American
Oct 18, 2014
Wal-Mart has pledged for each dollar donates to Red Cross for hurricane relied they will donate 2 times it's value. Might wanna rethink this avoiding Red Cross.

uafanataum

All-American
Oct 18, 2014
I mean afterall, red cross employees should be staying at the Embassy not the Hampton Inn.
When I joined the military all branches from Army to seamen stayed in the Embassy suites the night before they shipped off. It was a trap. The next day I stayed in leaky barracks and I was apparently a well... I don't want to say that word on this board.

Wilson Monroe

1st Team
Jul 19, 2016
I will never forget how the Red Cross made it so difficult on families to get access to assistance that they were touting all over the news outlets with Katrina and Sandy.

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.