What SEC Head Coach gets fired first?

TideEngineer08

TideFans Legend
Jun 9, 2009
Beautiful Cullman, AL
No way James Franklin leaves Penn State for Auburn.

The hottest seat has to belong to Sumlin at the moment. When they lose to Alabama, Ole Miss, Mississippi State, and LSU (and Florida/South Carolina from the East will be no cakewalk) he will be fired. And they will lose at least 4 of those games. Getting blown out by Alabama again would be a very bad look for him.

The shine has worn off the Gus Bus. He's like Butch Jones to me. I'm not worried about them and hopefully they continue to win just enough to be too difficult to fire. They don't know what they're doing as far as running a football program at a high level.

For the life of me I don't know what the appeal of Beliema is.

bamaslammer

All-American
Jan 8, 2003
Argo, AL, St Clair
www.kirkwoodhouse.com
I think the coach who's team quits first and by the look of it Texas A&M quit before the season even started.

In three weeks after beating mighty Mercer, Missouri and (I assume) the Bulldogs Auburn people will be predicting a national championship again.

Butch Jones is just good enough to keep from getting fired but UT folks have really low standards so there you go.

Bielema will most likely get fired, but not till the end of the year. However if he gets trounced by the Texas A&M team that has already quit that could change.

RollTideMang

All-American
Oct 16, 2009
St. Louis, MO
Odom at Mizzou. He was hired by an AD that left shortly after the hire. He is not the current AD's guy, and he's not showing any signs that he can coach.

Sumlin should be gone too, but I think Odom goes first.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

81usaf92

TideFans Legend
Apr 26, 2008
South Alabama
Odom at Mizzou. He was hired by an AD that left shortly after the hire. He is not the current AD's guy, and he's not showing any signs that he can coach.

Sumlin should be gone too, but I think Odom goes first.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk
The problem is that you are viewing Mizzou as a B list job where winning immediately is imperative, but Mizzou is more like a C- job in which they are very understanding and will give you 4-6 years. Odom is the 13th highest paid coach in the SEC entering his 2nd year. He gets 2.45 million a year so that isn't a huge risk like Kevin Sumlin's salary which is at a whopping 5 million a year. Point is Mizzou doesn't have much invested in the success on the football field other than to generate revenue. Heck their basketball coach that hasn't coached a game makes 3 million a year. So it's unlikely they are going to fire an alumni after two years that had to replace a legend for their school during a political frenzy.

There is probably a better chance Coach Oeaux is gone after a bad season than Odom because LSU fans and administrators are far more invested in their program.

Last edited:

techster79

All-American
Oct 20, 2014
Deatsville, Al
The most level headed auburn fans I know are calling for Gus's head...but they also think they have a shot with Chip Kelly, Les Miles or someone who is a proven winner.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Cruiser

All-American
Sep 24, 2015
The most level headed auburn fans I know are calling for Gus's head...but they also think they have a shot with Chip Kelly, Les Miles or someone who is a proven winner.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Les Miles to the Barn; the vision just makes me happy, happy.

bamachile

Hall of Fame
Jul 27, 2007
Oakdale, Louisiana
To the OP's question: Sumlin.

The biggest disappointment to me, though, is CBB at Arky. I never thought he would win a NC there, but I really thought he would have a better product by now.

UntouchableCrew

All-SEC
Nov 30, 2015
To the OP's question: Sumlin.

The biggest disappointment to me, though, is CBB at Arky. I never thought he would win a NC there, but I really thought he would have a better product by now.
I wonder how much he regrets leaving Wisconsin, watching them cruise to Big 10 West titles while he's in the cellar of the SEC West.

81usaf92

TideFans Legend
Apr 26, 2008
South Alabama
I wonder how much he regrets leaving Wisconsin, watching them cruise to Big 10 West titles while he's in the cellar of the SEC West.
Probably not much since he won the Big 10 the first two years he was there and his successors have just been the participants. The biggest reason he left was Barry Alvarez.

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
Considering he's making $4.1 million at Arkansas after working hard to get Barry Alvarez to finally increase his salary to $2.6 million, I bet he doesn't mind.

rgw

Suspended
Sep 15, 2003
Tuscaloosa
I don't think Sumlin gets fired until after the season. I think the facebook post from the regent combined with the fan mail that called him the n-word is poop in the punch for canning him until he finishes the season.

Gus will be fired when they lose to MSU.

DrollTide

All-SEC
Oct 18, 2008
Hunts Patch
Whoever, after the first one gets the hook, there will be a race to the bottom. I think Sumlin/Gus/Bielema/Butch are all eminently fireable, and they may all go within 2 weeks of each other if their performances stay weak.

RT27

All-American
Aug 13, 2017
Just hope the BARN keeps gus and his slow bus, love beating them sooooooooo much.

BamaNation

Publisher and Benevolent Dictator
Staff member
Apr 9, 1999
Silicon Slopes
TideFans.com
Sumlin is the most clueless about his own team, IMHO. Coaches'em down instead of up. In the present climate, the note he received might impact the timeline, though. How UTx and TAMU ever lose a game given the talent in that state is beyond baffling and can only be explained by poor coaching.

Crimson1967

Hall of Fame
Nov 22, 2011
I think Sumlin is gone. They struggled again this week.

Botch needs to beat us or Georgia (probably both) or he is in serious trouble. But I think it would take a 4-8 collapse for him to get fired this year.

Ditto for Gus.

deliveryman35

Hall of Fame
Jul 26, 2003
Gadsden, AL
Odom moves to the front. 3rd Quarter Purdue 35 Mizzou 3.
You got that right. What an embarrassment this guy has been. Nothing inspiring or motivating whatsoever about Barry Odom and it shows in the product that he is putting out on the field. They might have to pull Gary Pinkel out of retirement.

Last edited:

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.