What SEC Head Coach gets fired first?

Valley View

3rd Team
Nov 7, 2016
Williamson County, TN
No doubt to me it is Butch Jones who gets canned. The fans up here absolutely hate him. Vol fans are the most jealous, unrealistic, negative one minute and overly optimistic the next, poor losing group of people I have ever known. They hate Bama worse than we hate Auburn but only because they are jealous. Coach Jones seems to be a fine man who has done great things at TN. But the fans won't have him because he is not a "big name" coach. The fact is that the TN job is hard to fill mainly due to nutty fans and the Admin's past treatment of head coaches. I really hate it for then, not. They deserve everything they got.

TiderMan

All-SEC
Feb 5, 2005
Moody, AL.
No doubt to me it is Butch Jones who gets canned. The fans up here absolutely hate him. Vol fans are the most jealous, unrealistic, negative one minute and overly optimistic the next, poor losing group of people I have ever known. They hate Bama worse than we hate Auburn but only because they are jealous. Coach Jones seems to be a fine man who has done great things at TN. But the fans won't have him because he is not a "big name" coach. The fact is that the TN job is hard to fill mainly due to nutty fans and the Admin's past treatment of head coaches. I really hate it for then, not. They deserve everything they got.
Sounds just like Bama Nation from 1997-2006.

UntouchableCrew

All-SEC
Nov 30, 2015
I still can't believe LSU fired Les Miles only to hire Orgeron. If they wanted new blood they should have hired, you know, new blood. Talk about making decisions based on emotion instead of having a plan...

As far as who gets fired, I think it has to be Odom. They are just an absolutely miserable football program right now. And I think self inflicted with their off-field stuff, but that is neither here nor there. But Mizzou has gotten blown out 3 weeks in a row! Like 3-TD losses. And the schedule isn't getting any easier and they show no signs of improving. I also think that, regardless of how the rest of the season plays out, Sumlin is gone. Its simply a question of whether he gets fired mid-season or after the season.
Agreed on both accounts. Obviously Orgeron wasn't their first choice but firing Les early in the season only to hire him... What a waste.

Mizzou doesn't have the same high standards many SEC teams do, but the second they were drubbed by Purdue I thought he was toast. When you consider they won the SEC East back to back years under Pinkel upon arriving in the SEC and now are by far the basement dweller... It's hard to excuse.

JustNeedMe81

Hall of Fame
Sep 30, 2011
Huntsville, Al
Butch Jones’ buyout is $2 million per year for every year left on his contract. He has 3 years left on the contract. If they fire him between now and December, then it'll cost them more $$$. If they fire him in Feb, they would owe him 6 million dollar. I don't think they can afford to pay him that $$$ knowing their history with Dooley situation. On top of that, If the whole staff is gone, that's almost 11-13 million dollar bill. Quite expensive bill, unless they promote Bob Shoop. With that expensive bill, can they afford to land a big name coach?

Sumlin, if fired without cause can receive up to 6.8 million dollars. Same situation with Tennessee in regard of firing the whole staff.

I think Texas is in better position than Tennessee to fire a coach and still absorb the cost.

rgw

Suspended
Sep 15, 2003
Tuscaloosa
Butch Jones’ buyout is $2 million per year for every year left on his contract. He has 3 years left on the contract. If they fire him between now and December, then it'll cost them more $$$. If they fire him in Feb, they would owe him 6 million dollar. I don't think they can afford to pay him that $$$ knowing their history with Dooley situation. On top of that, If the whole staff is gone, that's almost 11-13 million dollar bill. Quite expensive bill, unless they promote Bob Shoop. With that expensive bill, can they afford to land a big name coach?

Sumlin, if fired without cause can receive up to 6.8 million dollars. Same situation with Tennessee in regard of firing the whole staff.

I think Texas is in better position than Tennessee to fire a coach and still absorb the cost.

They're not waiting until February 2018 to fire their coach if they want a new one. Buyout language is malleable and rarely work out how the media reports it at or around the termination. If a rich enough booster or group of boosters want him gone, they'll write the checks.

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville

Waiting to fire him for $2 million would be extremely stupid, even for Tennessee.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Skeeterpop

Hall of Fame
Jul 18, 2008
Coach yah yah has a 12 million dollar buy out. What the freak!!!

The AD should be fired on the spot. Are you kidding me? They signed a contract with a $12 mil buyout on a coach that has never won as a head coach. Wow.

uafanataum

All-American
Oct 18, 2014
Can someone even name a head coach that is in the market that can meet most if these fanbases expectations? These people want to be in the SEC or even national championship discussion every year. That are not many coaches that can do that and the ones that can are currently happily employed at good jobs.

RT27

All-American
Aug 13, 2017
Not sure who gets fired fist, but I can tell you who will not be fired Saban. Thanks Mal, so many pundits said you were crazy to pay 5 mil for a coach. Who is laughing now? These bone head AD,s paying that, and more for guys who cannot win 7 -8 games hehe.

GrayTide

Hall of Fame
Nov 15, 2005
Greenbow, Alabama
I believe Sumlin saved his job for another year with the Aggies playing Alabama close. Looking ahead to the rest of their schedule, they should go 8-4 or 9-3 depending on their game at Florida this Saturday. They have auburn and MSU at home and LSU and Ole Miss on the road. They also have New Mexico at home. If they lose to UF, LSU and auburn then 7-5 may not cut it.

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
I believe Sumlin saved his job for another year with the Aggies playing Alabama close. Looking ahead to the rest of their schedule, they should go 8-4 or 9-3 depending on their game at Florida this Saturday. They have auburn and MSU at home and LSU and Ole Miss on the road. They also have New Mexico at home. If they lose to UF, LSU and auburn then 7-5 may not cut it.
Totally agree - the fans reaction to the game has been very supportive. I was wrong earlier in the thread. He is going to get at least one more year. Alabama fans can celebrate.

GrayTide

Hall of Fame
Nov 15, 2005
Greenbow, Alabama
Sumlin and Orgeron both made positive steps to save their jobs this past weekend even though TAMU lost and LSU squeaked by. As I said above, the Florida game is pivotal for TAMU to get to 8 or 9 wins. LSU has two losses and will probably lose to auburn and Alabama. In order to get to 8-4 they have to beat UT and Ole Miss on the road and at home against Arkansas and TAMU. IMO neither Sumlin or Orgeron gets the axe. At this point I only see Botch and Luke as most likely to be dismissed.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.