Link: As Ole Miss' Defense Begins, a Larger Question: Is Cheating Really This Rampant?

Jay Hughes

All-SEC
Aug 28, 2008
Newnan, GA
We are the number one football team in the nation. We have the best football program in the nation. We have the best players in the nation. We have the best Coach in the nation. We have the best university in the nation. And there's not one positive thread on this entire board.
I'm beyond amazed.
Good night folks.
sip
Well, why don't you start a positive thread? But I do agree with all you statements!

As for the topic, I live in Newnan and I have seen work going on to Cam's dad's church that started after he went to Auburn. The funny thing is that I never really notice them ever having services there. Who knows?

Moro Creek

All-SEC
Jan 21, 2014
Equine country
We are the number one football team in the nation. We have the best football program in the nation. We have the best players in the nation. We have the best Coach in the nation. We have the best university in the nation. And there's not one positive thread on this entire board.
I'm beyond amazed.
Good night folks.
No more opinions folks. You're going to give Sip heartburn.

Last edited by a moderator:

NoNC4Tubs

Hall of Fame
Nov 13, 2010
I think OMBS and rgw can both be right - it's possible for most schools to pull off the Ole Miss scenario provided they've got enough booster willing to skirt the rules. On the other hand, if it happens often enough, too many people know and the whole thing blows up.

There was a short-lived Alabama fan site about two or three years ago - I honestly don't recall the name - that went to detail about what OM was offering kids to visit and what they were offering kids to not visit other SEC schools. If everyone else was doing that, we'd know it and so would the rest of the world.
awbern is smart enough to channel all of the money through a single bagman. It keeps the number of people involved to an absolute minimum... :cool2:

Very successfully, I might add.

NoNC4Tubs

Hall of Fame
Nov 13, 2010
It could happen but I don't think the supposedly several hundred thousand dollar offers ever take place.

Even if a booster or recruiter offered $600,000 for one kid to go to a school and the player accepted I don't think anything close to that would ever be paid for all the reasons posted before and more.

It's a fact Cam was shopped. Some say $180,000, some say $200,000. I think Auburn paid him and his family money but not anything even close to that amount.

I do think the improper benefits like a few hundred here, a couple thousand there, a deal on a car, a rent payment here, free clothes, a "date" on a recruiting trip, a smartphone there, mother gets a job here, dad gets a coaching job there and things like that are very common.
Oh, he indeed got it... :cool2:

Bamabuzzard

FB Moderator
Staff member
Aug 15, 2004
Where ever there's BBQ, Bourbon & Football
Well, why don't you start a positive thread? But I do agree with all you statements!

As for the topic, I live in Newnan and I have seen work going on to Cam's dad's church that started after he went to Auburn. The funny thing is that I never really notice them ever having services there. Who knows?
The Lord works in mysterious ways.

Professor

Scout Team
Sep 3, 2017
I get very tired of the Aubarn posts claiming the only way we beat them is that we cheat and they don't. Balderdash! They find it impossible to admit that they are playing second fiddle to the University of Alabama just about everywhere in the state.

I will not go into specifics, but when I was teaching at UA (1967-1977) I never knew of a single "favor" asked of the faculty by the powers that be in either administration or the athletic department. And I served at both faculty and administrative levels.

Football players did indeed get one special privilege. They got to register for classes first so that they could schedule labs that did not conflict with practice.

The question to me has always been, why would Alabama have to cheat to get great players? Why would a great player not want to play for Nick Saban at a great University? Those of you in the state cannot imagine the large following Alabama has throughout the country, especially among people who have no other contact with the university. Just today, here at our store in North Carolina, a lady came in wearing an Alabama shirt, carrying an Alabama logoed purse and an Alabama phone protector. During conversation she told me she normally has an Alabama "A" painted on her red fingernails.

I would never claim that Alabama never "cheats" simply because I do not know. But what I do know is that Alabama would have less reason to cheat than just about any school in the country.

Roll Tide from the Old North State.

Bamabuzzard

FB Moderator
Staff member
Aug 15, 2004
Where ever there's BBQ, Bourbon & Football
I get very tired of the Aubarn posts claiming the only way we beat them is that we cheat and they don't. Balderdash! They find it impossible to admit that they are playing second fiddle to the University of Alabama just about everywhere in the state.

I will not go into specifics, but when I was teaching at UA (1967-1977) I never knew of a single "favor" asked of the faculty by the powers that be in either administration or the athletic department. And I served at both faculty and administrative levels.

Football players did indeed get one special privilege. They got to register for classes first so that they could schedule labs that did not conflict with practice.

The question to me has always been, why would Alabama have to cheat to get great players? Why would a great player not want to play for Nick Saban at a great University? Those of you in the state cannot imagine the large following Alabama has throughout the country, especially among people who have no other contact with the university. Just today, here at our store in North Carolina, a lady came in wearing an Alabama shirt, carrying an Alabama logoed purse and an Alabama phone protector. During conversation she told me she normally has an Alabama "A" painted on her red fingernails.

I would never claim that Alabama never "cheats" simply because I do not know. But what I do know is that Alabama would have less reason to cheat than just about any school in the country.

Roll Tide from the Old North State.
No school is innocent. It's just the sad reality. We can argue and split hairs on degrees of "sin" committed by schools. But the bottom line, they all "sin". It's been going on since they started keeping score and giving out trophies.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.