Mexico reverses US aid after earthquake & hurricane

CharminTide

Hall of Fame
Oct 23, 2005
Their offer was basically ignored by the federal government, and we haven't even offered to aid Mexico after their series of natural disasters. So I think it's hard to argue that we have the moral high ground here.

Displaced Bama Fan

Hall of Fame
Jun 5, 2000
Shiner, TX
Their offer was basically ignored by the federal government, and we haven't even offered to aid Mexico after their series of natural disasters. So I think it's hard to argue that we have the moral high ground here.
Hell, we already have Mexican aid here with all their workers don't we? They are going to be hard pressed to recover since all their labor is here.

Jon

Hall of Fame
Feb 22, 2002
Atlanta 'Burbs
you don't understand at all, we have the moral high ground because they are Mexicans and American > Mexican, period

Intl.Aperture

All-American
Aug 12, 2015
Chesapeake, Virginia
Nations are weird with aid money for large disaster. After the Nepal earthquakes a few years back they basically told the world they could stick their money where the sun don't shine and we don't want your help! Same with the Chilean volcano eruptions. Just more politics than anything. In this case both nations have their own people to worry about so no sense sending one another money that could be used to mend their own homes.

uafanataum

All-American
Oct 18, 2014
Nations are weird with aid money for large disaster. After the Nepal earthquakes a few years back they basically told the world they could stick their money where the sun don't shine and we don't want your help! Same with the Chilean volcano eruptions. Just more politics than anything. In this case both nations have their own people to worry about so no sense sending one another money that could be used to mend their own homes.
What does politics have to do with aiding in the relief of human suffering? This is why I do not like politicians.

day-day

Hall of Fame
Jan 2, 2005
Bartlett, TN (Memphis area)
It is, actually that Newsweek article is very poorly written. Tillerson basically said thank you and then moved on. Trump has, of course, not even done that much.

WaPo: Tillerson thanks Mexico for hurricane aid offer but doesn’t say U.S. will accept it
At this point, both countries need to take care of their own unless there are some special skills or material one can provide the other. Bad timing on the natural disasters.

This doesn't look like they ignored it.

The State Department had confirmed the aid offer late Tuesday and said FEMA would determine whether there was a need for it.

“It is common during hurricanes and other significant weather events for the United States to be in close contact with our neighbors and partners in the region to share data and cooperate as needed and appropriate,” the State Department said.

“When the State Department receives a formal offer of assistance from a foreign government, we work with FEMA to determine the best way forward.”

Last edited:

bama_wayne1

All-American
Jun 15, 2007
Well that is fine with me. I would prefer that we ban the wiring of money to Mexico for a year just to be cooperative with that spirit.

Redwood Forrest

Hall of Fame
Sep 19, 2003
Boaz, AL USA
Moral high ground? That is funny, saying a country which actively holds classes instructing THEIR citizens on how to apply for WIC, Food Stamps, Welfare, Medicaid and Government housing --- and then will even bus them to isolated spots on the border so they can SNEAK ACCROSS ILLEGALLY has a Moral anything.

chanson78

All-American
Nov 1, 2005
Huntsville, AL
Moral high ground? That is funny, saying a country which actively holds classes instructing THEIR citizens on how to apply for WIC, Food Stamps, Welfare, Medicaid and Government housing --- and then will even bus them to isolated spots on the border so they can SNEAK ACCROSS ILLEGALLY has a Moral anything.
Proof?

Displaced Bama Fan

Hall of Fame
Jun 5, 2000
Shiner, TX
I read something where Mexico withdrew the aid because we didn't extent sympathies for the earthquake or hurricane. I get it, sort of. I think Mexico has a vested interest in "rebuilding" Houston with all the nationals here and the money they send home.

chanson78

All-American
Nov 1, 2005
Huntsville, AL
The closest thing I could find was from this article.

DailyMail said:
A Spanish-language leaflet that the U.S. Department of Agriculture has provided to the Mexican Embassy in Washington advises border-crossing Mexicans that they can collect taxpayer-funded food stamp benefits for their children without admitting that they're illegal immigrants.
So maybe thats how that got started. Granted it was the US DoA that actually provided the leaflets.

MattinBama

Hall of Fame
Jul 31, 2007
I demand the rights of a Liberal.
Okay. You asked for them.... then whatever you say is fake news and lol I didn't read it because it's for libtards and it wouldn't feel like the truth to us conservatives anyway. Excuse me I'll be on my Facebook echo chamber where all the memes confirm what I already know.

Last edited:

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.