1,200 Year Old Viking Sword Discovered On Norwegian Mountain

Intl.Aperture

All-American
Aug 12, 2015
Chesapeake, Virginia
CLICKY

[FONT=&quot]Reindeer hunters in Norway were surprised to find an amazingly well-preserved Viking sword while they were hunting in a high altitude area....[/FONT][FONT=&quot]The sword was wedged between two rocks on a plain filled with the small rocks that pepper the Norwegian countryside, known as scree. Though the blade was rusted, and any organic material that was attached to it like leather straps or bone and wood adornments had rotted away years ago, it was remarkably well preserved. The extreme cold and low pressure may have prevented further rusting or degradation from occurring. [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Why the Viking was traveling in this desolate countryside, and how the sword, an incredibly valuable tool and commodity at the time, came to be left there, we will never know, but researchers theorize that it may have been left there after a Viking got lost during a particularly horrible blizzard.[/FONT]

The article says that popular theories have it being left behind by a swordsman lost on the mountain but it's position and the fact that blades of that era in Scandinavia were worth their weight in gold makes me think it was done purposefully, as either a marker of some sort or a tribute in a religious ceremony. What think all of you?

gman4tide

All-SEC
Nov 21, 2005
Flint Creek
Don't know what to think, other than that is really, really cool! I mean, I picked up a small "rock" a couple weeks ago that I thought was interesting. Took some pics of it and sent to a geologist(?) guy I know that teaches at aum and he replied "that is a piece of limestone tempered potery. It dates between 100bc and 1000ad. Most like about 300-400ad". I just thought that was cool. It don't touch a sword!

Intl.Aperture

All-American
Aug 12, 2015
Chesapeake, Virginia
Don't know what to think, other than that is really, really cool! I mean, I picked up a small "rock" a couple weeks ago that I thought was interesting. Took some pics of it and sent to a geologist(?) guy I know that teaches at aum and he replied "that is a piece of limestone tempered potery. It dates between 100bc and 1000ad. Most like about 300-400ad". I just thought that was cool. It don't touch a sword!
That's super cool!

I can't believe how good the sword's condition is. The fact that he held it outward by the hilt and it didn't immediately snap at the fulcrum is astounding.

CharminTide

Hall of Fame
Oct 23, 2005
The article says that popular theories have it being left behind by a swordsman lost on the mountain but it's position and the fact that blades of that era in Scandinavia were worth their weight in gold makes me think it was done purposefully, as either a marker of some sort or a tribute in a religious ceremony. What think all of you?
I'm gonna go with it marking the entrance to Svartalfheim, presumably where Chris Hemsworth slumbers between movies.

Last edited:

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.