Link: espn Suspends Linda Cohn

bama2112

All-American
Nov 19, 2006
Cobb County, Ga.
You know whats even funnier for ESPN. A lot of people dont even know who she is. I am sure more do than dont, but I doesnt watch SC. ESPN is a total joke except for college football. I dont care if they fire her or make her th president of ESPN just leave college football alone and keep Mac Brown and Beth Moan's ( yes I moan when I hear her voice) away from Bama games.

cuda.1973

Hall of Fame
Dec 6, 2009
Allen, Texas
Sure that everyone has heard "you should not be on TV if you have a radio face." Problem is ESPN has too many folks who do not even possess a radio voice, doing TV.

Probably goes double, for Ms. Moans.

Tide1986

Suspended
Nov 22, 2008
Birmingham, AL
How is anyone surprised that someone who spoke critically of their employer (in a very public forum) was suspended? Whether she was correct or not is immaterial - she played a stupid game and won a stupid prize.
I would be in complete agreement if it weren't her job to comment on sports-related things. To some degree, she has been disciplined for doing her job.

colbysullivan

Hall of Fame
Dec 12, 2007
Gulf Breeze, FL
I would be in complete agreement if it weren't her job to comment on sports-related things. To some degree, she has been disciplined for doing her job.
Agreed. I think the context is important too. Did Cohn just outright say these things or was she responding to a question? That's the difference between her and Hill, IMO.

crimsonaudio

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 9, 2002
crimsonaudio.net
Say what you want, but regardless of her 'job', she openly (publicly) was critical of her employer's decisions.

Assuming you guys own businesses with employees, I guess we'll just have to agree to disagree.

If you don't own business with employees, then I guess you just don't understand...

Tide1986

Suspended
Nov 22, 2008
Birmingham, AL
Say what you want, but regardless of her 'job', she openly (publicly) was critical of her employer's decisions.

Assuming you guys own businesses with employees, I guess we'll just have to agree to disagree.

If you don't own business with employees, then I guess you just don't understand...
If I hired an employee to have public opinions about the subject matter of my business, then I wouldn't be terribly surprised if his opinions sometimes included my business, especially if my business is actively involved and/or entwined in the subject matter itself.

92tide

TideFans Legend
May 9, 2000
East Point, Ga, USA

you must be new here

selmaborntidefan

TideFans Legend
Mar 31, 2000
Sure that everyone has heard "you should not be on TV if you have a radio face." Problem is ESPN has too many folks who do not even possess a radio voice, doing TV.

Probably goes double, for Ms. Moans.
Beth Mowns is proof that gender-based affirmative action doesn't work.

selmaborntidefan

TideFans Legend
Mar 31, 2000
she seems to have had a fairly successful career.
If I were as irritating at an audio medium as she is......let's just say I wouldn't have a job in broadcasting still.....

I have zippo problem with female announcers if they're actually good. Gayle Gardner was VERY good. I don't see Linda Cohn as a good PBP announcer, but she is a VERY
good SportsCenter host and always has been. Mary Cirillo is VERY good at tennis, far better than I could ever hope to be.

Beth Mowns is not, plain and simple.

92tide

TideFans Legend
May 9, 2000
East Point, Ga, USA
If I were as irritating at an audio medium as she is......let's just say I wouldn't have a job in broadcasting still.....

I have zippo problem with female announcers if they're actually good. Gayle Gardner was VERY good. I don't see Linda Cohn as a good PBP announcer, but she is a VERY
good SportsCenter host and always has been. Mary Cirillo is VERY good at tennis, far better than I could ever hope to be.

Beth Mowns is not, plain and simple.
the people that sign her paychecks seem to think differently.

CrimsonForce

Hall of Fame
Dec 20, 2012
Shocker. ESPN just supsended Jemele Hill for 2 weeks for a second violation of our social media guidelines. Apparently she suggested that fans of the NFL boycott sponsors of the Cowboys because of recent comments by Jerry Jones. Jerry said that any player that doesn't stand for the anthem would not play. Apparently Jemele Hill is unaware, or doesn't care, that many of the Cowboys sponsors also sponsor ESPN and her studio show..

TideMom2Boys

Hall of Fame
Nov 17, 2010
Alabama
Shocker. ESPN just supsended Jemele Hill for 2 weeks for a second violation of our social media guidelines. Apparently she suggested that fans of the NFL boycott sponsors of the Cowboys because of recent comments by Jerry Jones. Jerry said that any player that doesn't stand for the anthem would not play. Apparently Jemele Hill is unaware, or doesn't care, that many of the Cowboys sponsors also sponsor ESPN and her studio show..
Good, I can't stand listening to her.

Crimson1967

Hall of Fame
Nov 22, 2011
So my employer won't like it if I ask people not to buy their products?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

rgw

Suspended
Sep 15, 2003
Tuscaloosa
Nobody stops watching because of bad broadcast crews so employment as a play-by-play, color, or sideline is relatively insulated from market-based corrections due to consumer taste, employee skillset, etc. With that said, live sports is a prestige product for the networks so their best crews are well-groomed and impressively well-prepared outfits (usually). There is a reason Beth Mowins has mostly been relegated to second tier at best broadcasts (usually 3rd or 4th tier): she's not employed due to her ability. She's employed as corporate message about equality. Considering the dues she's paid, Mowins ought to be doing their primetime ESPN game now but more often than not she's on the 11am ESPN/ESPN2 game.

Beth Mowins is not a good play-by-play. Pure and simple. Because her job is insulated from a demand for quality and it is really all about what the network wants to project, she has kept her job when many good employees (male and female alike) caught the pink slip.

rgw

Suspended
Sep 15, 2003
Tuscaloosa
Also Hill knew what she was doing and I have to wonder if the minority employees at ESPN are near an uprising. Cari Champion has made some oblique tweets that I've seen retweeted in my timeline. They can't suspend all of their minority employees but I don't know how unified that front may be.

ESPN has a real corporate culture problem going on partly due to all the terminations of great talent and partly due to this two-front war they've gotten into with Fox where FS1 is taking talent and Fox News is dramatizing relatively innocuous stuff said on ESPN then goading their more left-wing employees into falling into the trap.

rgw

Suspended
Sep 15, 2003
Tuscaloosa
By the way, I think this goading by Fox News and tangentially from FS1's Clay Travis has been going on for 2+ years now. Stuff where they take obliquely politically related stuff and sensationalizing the portrayal of it to an already "programmed" viewership. What has been happening recently are people at ESPN deciding to engage on the terms Clay Travis does v. liberals and leftists all the time on twitter instead of staying above the fray. We live in a country where it is okay to be a sports writer who fronts a ridiculous right wing political agenda but you can't do the same if you're a centrist much less a leftist in today's America. That's just the way it is and ESPN is a for profit business so they're reeling it in...

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.