Link: espn Suspends Linda Cohn

CrimsonProf

Hall of Fame
Dec 30, 2006
Birmingham, Alabama
Did you see the DNC parade out the police state and military industrial complex during the convention? Is that your left boogeyman? A party that basically just wants to put lipstick on the imperialistic foreign policy authoritarian domestic policy pig?

There has been no appreciable left with any political power in this country since the 1960s and maybe really since the end of World War II.
If this isn't the most ignorant thing I've read on this board, I'm not sure what is.

You probably think Alger Hiss was framee and Bernadette Dohrn just burned her popcorn.

This is a five part series, but here's a link to part one:

https://storify.com/sphenoid/days-of-rage-pt-1

danb

All-SEC
Dec 4, 2011
Hazel Green, AL
All this concussion stuff gives me pause but I'd take a season of vet minimum and wear some NFL version of dress blues to every national anthem.
I said that in jest as I am far from privileged...I grew up killing myself slowly working multiple jobs around the clock to make a livable wage....sitting here still worrying Day to Day over how to make the kids..(now young adults) a better life....I'd trade the possibility of getting CTE, to live the good life with the mega bucks so that my family could live practically care free if I had the chance early on.....even looking back.......

Can't provide any sympathy/empathy for the spoiled arse millionaires playing a game getting paid like they do trying to relate to being oppressed in any shape form or fashion......even when they are disrespecting the symbol of the very reason they have what they have.....over a bogus reason, with no stats/proof to back it up, that the police are targeting and killing, black people...It ain't happening....the police are killing folks that are showing threat, while resisting...irregardless of color.... I guess I have digressed, but now I will totally digress, and leave the topic...[emoji6]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

rolltide_21

Hall of Fame
Dec 9, 2007
NW AL
I said that in jest as I am far from privileged...I grew up killing myself slowly working multiple jobs around the clock to make a livable wage....sitting here still worrying Day to Day over how to make the kids..(now young adults) a better life....I'd trade the possibility of getting CTE, to live the good life with the mega bucks so that my family could live practically care free if I had the chance early on.....even looking back.......

Can't provide any sympathy/empathy for the spoiled arse millionaires playing a game getting paid like they do trying to relate to being oppressed in any shape form or fashion......even when they are disrespecting the symbol of the very reason they have what they have.....over a bogus reason, with no stats/proof to back it up, that the police are targeting and killing, black people...It ain't happening....the police are killing folks that are showing threat, while resisting...irregardless of color.... I guess I have digressed, but now I will totally digress, and leave the topic...[emoji6]

Meh, he just trolling. Does it in post game threads too commenting on how horrible our football team is. Ignore and move on. You’ll have a more enjoyable experience on the board if you do.

danb

All-SEC
Dec 4, 2011
Hazel Green, AL
Meh, he just trolling. Does it in post game threads too commenting on how horrible our football team is. Ignore and move on. You’ll have a more enjoyable experience on the board if you do.

Lol!! Yes indeed.....I've been around awhile!!
Only dang thing we all seem to agree upon around here is the Alabama Crimson Tide, and even then folks go to complaint about not winning by enough points??? Did they not watch Bama play the last 35-40 years or more? LOL!!

LA4Bama

All-SEC
Jan 5, 2015
Los Angeles, CA
But we all know you're just an old-fashioned misogynist

I mean, that's the level of response I get most of the time.

She has an irritating voice in what is primarily an AUDIO medium.

and as far as having her job still.....ESPN has been taking a financial bath lately. Maybe she still has a job because she's cheap to employ because she isn't any good.

IJS>>>>>>>
Paying women less than men... You misogynist!

LOL

tidegrandpa

All-American
For awhile, I felt ESPN was a tad right-leaning in the mid-00s. They were really in Goodell's pocket about cleaning up the player conduct in the NFL. They were a water carrier for Stern forcing a dress code on NBA players. ESPN had this slight but almost imperceptible right-wing authoritarian tilt. Maybe slightly related, Gameday took on a more country twang with their theme song in this time period too.

It changed over time due to hiring created a more diverse group of opinion makers. But as I said, if it was American nationalist jingoism they were fronting, nobody would really be concerned in this country. We're so far gone down the slope that will result in a right-wing authoritarian police state that if you aren't in your box where it is acceptable to have a slightly different view on things then you will be ostracized. If you're gonna talk politics in the general area code of something outside of the news box then your body better not be the only thing standing during the national anthem. Better have a rock hard erection for da twoops and flag and our fearless leaders.
I tune into ESPN for sporting events, not to get their opinion. But that's just me.

rgw

Suspended
Sep 15, 2003
Tuscaloosa
Careful not to fall of your high horse, but the only fiction here is yours.
If you believe a left actually exists with any sort of meaningful political power in the United States since the late 1960s then you're basically tilting the windmills.

rgw

Suspended
Sep 15, 2003
Tuscaloosa
I tune into ESPN for sporting events, not to get their opinion. But that's just me.
Don't have the exact numbers but I think that opinion-driven content is nearly or actually purely the majority of ESPN's content now. They use to be more about the nightly (later morning) Sportscenter, live sports of any kind, replays of live events, and NFL Films type documentaries. From the early 2000s onward, there was a shift towards original content based on opinion and debate. Most of the non-SC original content on ESPN before this shift were shows with a serious journalism tilt to them. The Sports Reporters may have an opinion stated you don't like but it felt like the place for it on Sunday morning with four venerable sports section editors. The other original content were usually ESPN's "proto" 30 for 30 type documentaries. The early 2000s shift was towards debate. White guy black guy in 2-up box graphic shouting about things was their favorite trope. It is my opinion that the early debate tended towards nanny state browbeating of problematic players but it has folded over itself and become antagonistic towards the leagues itself.

It is all very weird and I think a lot of it is the late-stage ESPN death throes. All this original content was part of the excesses of their revenue/subscription zenith and now the correction is happening and fast.

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
If you believe a left actually exists with any sort of meaningful political power in the United States since the late 1960s then you're basically tilting the windmills.
From 1961-1968, JFK and LBJ were in the White House. They each had democrat controlled Senate and House.

Jimmy Carter from 1977-1981 had a Democrat controlled Senate and House.

Clinton in 1993 and 1994 had a Democrat controlled Senate and House.

Obama in 2009 and 2010 had a Democrat controlled Senate and House.

rgw

Suspended
Sep 15, 2003
Tuscaloosa
From 1961-1968, JFK and LBJ were in the White House. They each had democrat controlled Senate and House.

Jimmy Carter from 1977-1981 had a Democrat controlled Senate and House.

Clinton in 1993 and 1994 had a Democrat controlled Senate and House.

Obama in 2009 and 2010 had a Democrat controlled Senate and House.
I think the FDR era Dems were the only time they crossed to left-of-center and ended with LBJ's Great Society policies. Basically in the range of "centrist" but to the left a bit. Foreign policy direction was not stunningly different. Very pro-American Empire. FDR wanted to get into WWII when most of the country did not despite publicly running on isolationism he was privately doing what he could in policy to support the allies. JFK and LBJ created the Vietnam quagmire.

Clinton era Democratic Party tends to the right-of-center. Like with FDR's foreign policy, people just take things at face value. Don't look to how they stump or talk, look at how they rule. Clinton did more to create browbeating, punitive social welfare models than Reagan. Reagan and Bush may have framed the debate but Clinton put the ink to the paper. Obama ran like he was American Mao Zedong, he offered up a halfhearted attempt to single payer to appease his voting coalition then came back with basically a line-for-line conservative think tank healthcare solution in ACA. This is the model the corporations in the healthcare industry wanted: more public funding to mitigate their financial risk. They can all cry about it but ACA was basically written by the industry much like how NAFTA was written by manufacturers.

So I really have to question the accuracy of saying the Democratic Party is a left-wing party. They are just the pro-corporate party that "talks good" to all the highly educated folks that don't want to hear such blunt language about how the sausage is made. Their striking foreign policy difference seems only to be that over time they learned the lesson of Vietnam and have a distaste for land war campaigns. They'd prefer to leverage the Air Force as a projection of American power over the world. It decreases the skin-in-the-game for the American citizenry in foreign policy direction. That's why Obama was on those drones like a kid that got a radio controlled helicopter for Christmas. It is a zero skin-in-the-game projection of American power so long as we don't leave the pilot in the seat stateside until his blood pressure drops too low to live.

Last edited:

GrayTide

Hall of Fame
Nov 15, 2005
Greenbow, Alabama
I still cannot believe after all the angst on NS and the Football board year around about how much everybody hates ESPN that most of you still watch it. I guess it gives y'all something to argue about and keep your stress levels up. Right or left leaning, black or white, ESPN sucks and I will not waste my time. That also applies to Fox News and MSNBC. SMH.

Wilson Monroe

1st Team
Jul 19, 2016
Hey guys, I just stopped by to see what stupid thing ESPN is doing lately and...

Whoa! The left has no power any more? That's great news! Now we can stop sanctuary cities, the violent ANTIFA folks won't be protected by politicians, we don't have to worry about not being able to control our immigration policy, statues can remain in place, and...

Oh, wait...totally wrong you say? Yes, I remember when the left under Clinton tanked the real estate market by ramming social programs down the throat of the banks and they started slicing risk (derivatives) to make it work. Yes, I know that caused the entire crisis. Oh yeah, he did put gasoline on the commodities market. That was dumb. All that was so long ago that...Yes. I remember under Obama the left instituted a social medicine program that is causing a healthcare coverage crisis among the middle class. Well darn, I thought that with all these horrible mistakes people would totally discount their platform. They have managed to pass legislation that only they think is a good idea.

Fine, the left still does left stuff. I knew it was too good to be true. Hey, at least they are trying to keep the government from lowering taxes, right? Right?

I know you leftists on the board are going to slaughter me for this one. It was in jest, but fire away. I won't respond.:biggrin2:

Crimson1967

Hall of Fame
Nov 22, 2011
I still cannot believe after all the angst on NS and the Football board year around about how much everybody hates ESPN that most of you still watch it. I guess it gives y'all something to argue about and keep your stress levels up. Right or left leaning, black or white, ESPN sucks and I will not waste my time. That also applies to Fox News and MSNBC. SMH.
I watch it there is a game on I want to see. I also use Gameday for background noise. I had never heard of this lady before and have no idea what show she is on. I used to watch PTI a lot and ATH some. Stopped due to lifestyle and work changes and also lost interest. Not because of politics, however. But that is it for watching their talk shows.

If a host bothers you, don't watch. I find most of them so annoying I haven't watched enough to know their political views.

selmaborntidefan

TideFans Legend
Mar 31, 2000
I don't watch it except to see an actual football game.

I literally haven't watched ESPN's "debate" shows (stuff like First Take) in years. I quit listening to Mike and Mike awhile back, too, and they weren't even really all that involved in politics.

To be fair, it may just be my age, but I'm getting to the point that all the Sock Puppet repeats just don't do it for me.

It was so damned obvious that Skip Bayless would take a STUPID extremist position on something he obviously did not believe just so we could see Stephen A kick him in the teeth again. Skip was the jobber wrestler taking Tully Blanchard's slingshot suplex.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.