Link: espn Suspends Linda Cohn

Crimson1967

Hall of Fame
Nov 22, 2011
I'm shocked she would ever be suspended by ESPN. I completely agree with everything she said but you have to be careful calling out your own employer even if you are being honest.
I agree. Questioning or criticizing your company's business practices is probably frowned on in most boardrooms. The other lady was just giving a political opinion.

If Cohn tweeted she thought Trump was doing great #MAGA, then her being suspended and the other woman wasn't would be hypocritical.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Snuffy Smith

All-American
Sep 12, 2012
Huntsville, AL
I have already semi-boycotted ESPIn. I will only tune to any of their channels if Alabama is playing on one of them. I figure if anything of interest happens one of you guys will post it here.

Tide1986

Suspended
Nov 22, 2008
Birmingham, AL
I agree. Questioning or criticizing your company's business practices is probably frowned on in most boardrooms. The other lady was just giving a political opinion.

If Cohn tweeted she thought Trump was doing great #MAGA, then her being suspended and the other woman wasn't would be hypocritical.

That is a fair assessment. On the other hand, at least Cohn was making sports-related comments, which seems to be what sports show hosts tend to do.

CrimsonTheory

All-American
Mar 26, 2012
CrimsonBleedRed
So Hill calls the president racist....nothing happens to her.
Cohn calls into question the many, MANY, questionable decisions ESPN has made in recent year....and she get suspended?

Are you kidding me? Cohn needs to fight this.

CharminTide

Hall of Fame
Oct 23, 2005
I really don't care at all about this story, but I agree with the distinction that Crimson1967 drew.

As an aside, I'm glad ESPN hasn't publicly reprimanded Hill, for the sole reason that Trump has actually called for her firing. If Obama had demanded that a private business terminate one of its employees because they deigned to openly criticize him, Fox, talk radio, and this board would've exploded in righteous fury. And let us not forget that Trump called Obama racist while he was president, so the hypocrisy here is deafening.

RammerJammer14

Hall of Fame
Aug 18, 2007
UA
I really don't care at all about this story, but I agree with the distinction that Crimson1967 drew.

As an aside, I'm glad ESPN hasn't publicly reprimanded Hill, for the sole reason that Trump has actually called for her firing. If Obama had demanded that a private business terminate one of its employees because they deigned to openly criticize him, Fox, talk radio, and this board would've exploded in righteous fury. And let us not forget that Trump called Obama racist while he was president, so the hypocrisy here is deafening.
Did he really. Dude just can't get out of his own way. So petty.

Intl.Aperture

All-American
Aug 12, 2015
Chesapeake, Virginia
I draw no distinction between Hill and Cohn.

But as individual cases I'm unsurprised that Cohn is facing SOME sort of backlash even though a suspension seems ludicrous and only worsens the company's image.
I'm AM surprised that Hill is not facing some sort of public comment from the company, at least trying to distance themselves from the political opinions of their employees.

Presidential request or no I would discipline an employee like Hill for comments either way. That's not what that company needs to be about - they need to stay in their lane.

CharminTide

Hall of Fame
Oct 23, 2005

crimsonaudio

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 9, 2002
crimsonaudio.net
How is anyone surprised that someone who spoke critically of their employer (in a very public forum) was suspended? Whether she was correct or not is immaterial - she played a stupid game and won a stupid prize.

Intl.Aperture

All-American
Aug 12, 2015
Chesapeake, Virginia
That may not be good enough for a lot of people, but it's good enough for me. I'd understand calls for her to be fired as the rhetoric was pretty hostile and not constructive in the least - her comments probably hurt ESPN's brand more than anything so I'd understand if they let her go.

I also understand Cohn getting blowback but not in the form of a suspension. Just a private "Hey, don't bad mouth us in public. Do it again, and you'll get suspended."
Or who knows, maybe they did warn her repeatedly and this was the result. Seems a bridge too far though.

Intl.Aperture

All-American
Aug 12, 2015
Chesapeake, Virginia
How is anyone surprised that someone who spoke critically of their employer (in a very public forum) was suspended? Whether she was correct or not is immaterial - she played a stupid game and won a stupid prize.
I agree (and the fact that she criticized is the bottom line) but the comments were so mild that a suspension seems like an overreaction. She didn't name call or mock or scorn or use sarcasm in any way, she just stated her opinion. I can understand an internal rebuke.

Displaced Bama Fan

Hall of Fame
Jun 5, 2000
Shiner, TX

The best thing Trump could have done with that situation is not say a word and when a reporter asked him about Jemele Hill's comments say "Who?"

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.