News Article: College football expert Phil Savage comments on Jalen Hurts's improvement

davefrat

Hall of Fame
Jun 4, 2002
Hopewell, VA
“I would say definitely he’s made incremental progress,” Savage said. “The reality is Jalen Hurts is one of the best college football quarterbacks in the country because of his dual-threat ability. You got a running back build with a big throwing arm. His drop-back game is a work in progress, and I think that will continue to improve a little bit at a time.” - Phil Savage

Click here

Phil sounds like a politician who is trying to make the best of things. I really like Jalen, he's clearly the best QB we have, but he is going to have to improve a great deal if Bama is going to beat top notch teams like Clemson.
Didn't we beat a top-notch team in week 1?

deliveryman35

Hall of Fame
Jul 26, 2003
Gadsden, AL
We will be fine with Jalen. In fact, I predict that he will leave the capstone as the winningest qb in Alabama history. That being said, Im not sure that he will ever necessarily be able to consistently throw the ball downfield like a Deshaun Watson or even Baker Mayfield does and it might be unrealistic for us to expect that from him. First of all we are and always will be under Saban a run-first O and we seem to be focusing on the short passing game under Daboll.

92tide

TideFans Legend
May 9, 2000
East Point, Ga, USA
We will be fine with Jalen. In fact, I predict that he will leave the capstone as the winningest qb in Alabama history. That being said, Im not sure that he will ever necessarily be able to consistently throw the ball downfield like a Deshaun Watson or even Baker Mayfield does and it might be unrealistic for us to expect that from him. First of all we are and always will be under Saban a run-first O and we seem to be focusing on the short passing game under Daboll.
he showed last year he is a winner, i think he will continue to show us that his full tenure at the capstone. just speaking for myself, i don't really care about much more than that.

Probius

Hall of Fame
Mar 19, 2004
Birmingham, Alabama
To blame the clemson loss on the Bama d is crazy. If the offense had done anything the second half, just one long time consuming drive, or multiple short ones the defense isnt so exhausted. A team cant run 99 plays if your offense is doing its job.
I couldn't aree more. Our offense put up one 3rd and out after another the entire second half, and that's why we came up short. The defense can only do so much, and they are going to wear out when they are on the field as much as they were.

Probius

Hall of Fame
Mar 19, 2004
Birmingham, Alabama
Didn't we beat a top-notch team in week 1?
We did, and that was a very good win. That was done with defense and special teams, and I'm not comfortable relying on making big plays on defense and special teams all season. Bama needs to develop the passing game, and I'm pretty sure that all of the coaches would say the same. Luckily, we have a pretty weak schedule, I don't see many serious threats the rest of the way, so we have time to develop the passing game before we face another elite team.

TiderinAZ

1st Team
Sep 20, 2015
Carefree, AZ
I'm a big Jalen fan. I'm watching other games with freshmen and redshirt freshmen qbs and Jalen was light years ahead of them last year in terms of not hurting his team and being a leader. We have never needed a heisman qb to win a natty, just one who doesn't lose games. By the way, the guy who beat us last year is starting in the NFL.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.