Leonard's Losers Redux

selmaborntidefan

TideFans Legend
Mar 31, 2000
[Rest assured, you'll have to be of a certain age to "get" this..]

("Foggy Mountain Breakdown" plays in the background)

"This is Percy Peabody, telling ya it's time for Leonard's Losers. With Leonard "Post Toasties".....the world's greatest football prognosticator. Tell 'em 'bout it, Lenny."

"Well thank ya Percy and howdy football fans!! After a great first week, we've rebooted the little smart pill machine with more data, more memory, and less hassle. The Vegas boys are quivering in fear of our powers of prognosticating and the smart pill machine is ready to clean house. As they say down at the fire hall, 'Ya never know where your next trip will take ya, but you just don't want to make an ash of yourself." So let's roll out the picks and multiply the grins.

Clemson versus Louisville

Dabo Swinney and his sabre tooth felines head over to Louisville on Saturday to do a little bird hunting, but they'll need a full bevy of ammo to keep their Feathered friends from taking flight. Bobby Petrino and his Running Redbirds ain't got no fear of flying, but it's the dual aerial and ground attack of Crazy Eight that's gonna make this one exciting until the end. Leonard's loser - in an upset - Climpson.

Flahda versus Tennessee

Butch Jones and his Volunteer marksman don the orange hunting gear Saturday to march down to the Swamp for the great Gator hunt, but they'll need more than perfect aim to hang this Gator on the wall. Jim McElwain and his Swamp Lizards ain't got much in the way of teeth, so they'll need a strong showing from the whole congregation to keep Gator meat from tasting Sugar sweet. Leonard's loser - Florida.

Wisconsin versus BYU

Paul Chryst and his Wisky Weasels make their way to Provo on Saturday, and they'll find the revival has begun without them as the missionaries hope to make new converts. Kalani Sitake and his mountain lions are hungry for the taste of victory, but it'll take more than some fire and brimstone preaching to get the home folk shouting "Glory Hallelujah!" Leonard's loser - BYU.

Air Force versus Michigan

Troy Calhoun and his aerial bombers make their way to Ann Arbor this weekend and hope for a successful sneak attack on Jim Harbaugh's maize and blue bears, but it'll take more than a little stealth warfare to make the wolverines cry "uncle." Air Force will have their sites aimed for the wipeout, but it'll be Michigan aiming for bigger things that settles this one in the end. Leonard's loser - Air Force.

Notre Dame versus Boston College

The Irish Catholics gather in Boston on Saturday for an intra-family squabble over a pigskin, and it'll take more than an ex cathedra announcement to settle this dispute. Brian Kelly and his lime shamrocks are teetering on the brink of disaster, but they'll find just enough luck of the Irish to avoid a scoring famine. Leonard's loser - Boston College.

And now we pause for this message from Dear Ole Dad......

SMU vs TCU

Chad Morris and his equine herd gallop across the Metroplex in hopes of stepping on some toads, but they'll find the purple frogs hop higher than ground level. Gary Patterson and his Fort Worth amphibians ain't got no fear of horses, and the Methodists will find out they just ain't got a prayer. Leonard's loser - SMU.

LSU vs Mississippi State

Ed Orgeron and his Red Stick felines gather up the pack and head over to Starkville on Saturday for a quick snack, but they'll find the Bullies don't take too kindly to Cajun hospitality. Dan Mullen and his Red Clay hounds are calm until cornered, and this weekend will find them facing walls in all four directions. Leonard's loser - in a close one - Mississippi State.

Kansas State versus Vandy

Bill Snyder and his Manhattan transfers head over to Nashville to face a battalion of commodores committed to protecting the city from a Wildcat invasion. Derek Mason and his Coast Guard ain't got no extra firepower, and they'll find they ain't got enough ammo to take down every single feline. Leonard's loser - Vandy.

Ole Miss versus Cal

Matt Luke and his Confederate klan (SWIDT?) head under cover of darkness for a late night meeting at the home of peace, but they'll find the terms of surrender have not yet been negotiated. Justin Wilcox and his Golden Grizzlies ain't got much bite, and they'll find it's not enough to stave off a rebellion from the Deep South nightmare. Leonard's loser - Cal.

Colorado State versus Alabama

Mike Bobo and his Rocky Mountain livestock come down to Tuscaloosa on Sat-day for a little one on one with a fierce pack of pachyderms sitting on top of the world. Nick Saban and his Crimson tsunami ain't got no fear, and the stampede will begin shortly after the national anthem ends. Leonard's loser - Colorado State.

Arizona State versus Texas Tech

Todd Graham and his sunshine Lucifers head over to Lubbock and they'll find the Red Raiders locked and loaded for an aerial duel. Kliff Kingsbury and his land-based pirates ain't got no reverse gear, and the Devils will be happy to see Lubbock in their rearview mirror. Leonard's loser - Texas Tech.

Until next week, this is Leonard Post Toasties saying - "So long neighbors!! Get me outta here, Percy!"

("Foggy Mountain Breakdown" begins again)

"Lennud'll be back next week with anutha bunch of LOS-ers. Til then.....this is Percy Peabody....hoping you'll be with us...."

Last edited:

deliveryman35

Hall of Fame
Jul 26, 2003
Gadsden, AL
It was definitely pach UH derms......I used to love listening to him on Saturday mornings in Tuscaloosa on the radio back in the late 80's....

Alasippi

Suspended
Aug 31, 2007
Ocean Springs, MS
[Rest assured, you'll have to be of a certain age to "get" this..]

Love the post.....brilliant writing....love everything except I like Mississippi State, I like Louisville, and I think Cal kicks the Ole Miss butt....
Regardless, you're really good!

("Foggy Mountain Breakdown" plays in the background)

"This is Percy Peabody, telling ya it's time for Leonard's Losers. With Leonard "Post Toasties".....the world's greatest football prognosticator. Tell 'em 'bout it, Lenny."

"Well thank ya Percy and howdy football fans!! After a great first week, we've rebooted the little smart pill machine with more data, more memory, and less hassle. The Vegas boys are quivering in fear of our powers of prognosticating and the smart pill machine is ready to clean house. As they say down at the fire hall, 'Ya never know where your next trip will take ya, but you just don't want to make an ash of yourself." So let's roll out the picks and multiply the grins.

Clemson versus Louisville

Dabo Swinney and his sabre tooth felines head over to Louisville on Saturday to do a little bird hunting, but they'll need a full bevy of ammo to keep their Feathered friends from taking flight. Bobby Petrino and his Running Redbirds ain't got no fear of flying, but it's the dual aerial and ground attack of Crazy Eight that's gonna make this one exciting until the end. Leonard's loser - in an upset - Louisville.

Flahda versus Tennessee

Butch Jones and his Volunteer marksman don the orange hunting gear Saturday to march down to the Swamp for the great Gator hunt, but they'll need more than perfect aim to hang this Gator on the wall. Jim McElwain and his Swamp Lizards ain't got much in the way of teeth, so they'll need a strong showing from the whole congregation to keep Gator meat from tasting Sugar sweet. Leonard's loser - Florida.

Wisconsin versus BYU

Paul Chryst and his Wisky Weasels make their way to Provo on Saturday, and they'll find the revival has begun without them as the missionaries hope to make new converts. Kalani Sitake and his mountain lions are hungry for the taste of victory, but it'll take more than some fire and brimstone preaching to get the home folk shouting "Glory Hallelujah!" Leonard's loser - BYU.

Air Force versus Michigan

Troy Calhoun and his aerial bombers make their way to Ann Arbor this weekend and hope for a successful sneak attack on Jim Harbaugh's maize and blue bears, but it'll take more than a little stealth warfare to make the wolverines cry "uncle." Air Force will have their sites aimed for the wipeout, but it'll be Michigan aiming for bigger things that settles this one in the end. Leonard's loser - Air Force.

Notre Dame versus Boston College

The Irish Catholics gather in Boston on Saturday for an intra-family squabble over a pigskin, and it'll take more than an ex cathedra announcement to settle this dispute. Brian Kelly and his lime shamrocks are teetering on the brink of disaster, but they'll find just enough luck of the Irish to avoid a scoring famine. Leonard's loser - Boston College.

And now we pause for this message from Dear Ole Dad......

SMU vs TCU

Chad Morris and his equine herd gallop across the Metroplex in hopes of stepping on some toads, but they'll find the purple frogs hop higher than ground level. Gary Patterson and his Fort Worth amphibians ain't got no fear of horses, and the Methodists will find out they just ain't got a prayer. Leonard's loser - SMU.

LSU vs Mississippi State

Ed Orgeron and his Red Stick felines gather up the pack and head over to Starkville on Saturday for a quick snack, but they'll find the Bullies don't take too kindly to Cajun hospitality. Dan Mullen and his Red Clay hounds are calm until cornered, and this weekend will find them facing walls in all four directions. Leonard's loser - in a close one - Mississippi State.

Kansas State versus Vandy

Bill Snyder and his Manhattan transfers head over to Nashville to face a battalion of commodores committed to protecting the city from a Wildcat invasion. Derek Mason and his Coast Guard ain't got no extra firepower, and they'll find they ain't got enough ammo to take down every single feline. Leonard's loser - Vandy.

Ole Miss versus Cal

Matt Luke and his Confederate klan (SWIDT?) head under cover of darkness for a late night meeting at the home of peace, but they'll find the terms of surrender have not yet been negotiated. Justin Wilcox and his Golden Grizzlies ain't got much bite, and they'll find it's not enough to stave off a rebellion from the Deep South nightmare. Leonard's loser - Cal.

Colorado State versus Alabama

Mike Bobo and his Rocky Mountain livestock come down to Tuscaloosa on Sat-day for a little one on one with a fierce pack of pachyderms sitting on top of the world. Nick Saban and his Crimson tsunami ain't got no fear, and the stampede will begin shortly after the national anthem ends. Leonard's loser - Colorado State.

Arizona State versus Texas Tech

Todd Graham and his sunshine Lucifers head over to Lubbock and they'll find the Red Raiders locked and loaded for an aerial duel. Kliff Kingsbury and his land-based pirates ain't got no reverse gear, and the Devils will be happy to see Lubbock in their rearview mirror. Leonard's loser - Texas Tech.

Until next week, this is Leonard Post Toasties saying - "So long neighbors!! Get me outta here, Percy!"

("Foggy Mountain Breakdown" begins again)

"Lennud'll be back next week with anutha bunch of LOS-ers. Til then.....this is Percy Peabody....hoping you'll be with us...."

Love the post.....brilliant writing....love everything except I like Mississippi State, I like Louisville, and I think Cal kicks the Ole Miss butt....
sip

4Q Basket Case

FB|BB Moderator
Staff member
Nov 8, 2004
Tuscaloosa
Exceedingly well done!

Wording really took me back to riding around Tuscaloosa in the fall with my dad, just to listen. Almost lyrical.

New avatar is good, too.

selmaborntidefan

TideFans Legend
Mar 31, 2000
Given the nature of the Internet - if anyone from Leonard's family happens to come across this, I hope you know that this is intended NOT to mock the man or to infringe on any copyright but rather to rekindle some great memories for a lot of us going back 30 or more years. "Leonard's Losers" was a staple of Friday and Saturday every fall, and the sounds of that Southern drawl permeated all of Dixie, either on the radio or amongst the staple of fans who would tell their other friends who missed the show "who Leonard picked."

A tribute, not a mockery.

selmaborntidefan

TideFans Legend
Mar 31, 2000
sip
Sip,

I changed it. I'm picking Louisville, I just put the wrong name down there. CLEMSON would be the loser in an upset.

I actually think MSU has a good shot, too.

AlBamaWagg

1st Team
Jan 3, 2007
Mt Juliet, Tn
A tribute indeed Selma. Ole Leonard himself would give you an attaboy. Thanx for the forgotten memory. Unlike like you, I have lots of those nowadays.

Skeeterpop

Hall of Fame
Jul 18, 2008
I remeber getting the flyer every Wednesday when I was growing up and could not wait to read it all and see his picks and breakdowns.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.