Lights Out by Ted Koppel

Displaced Bama Fan

Hall of Fame
Jun 5, 2000
Shiner, TX
Has anyone read the book "Lights Out" by Ted Koppel? All I can say right now is I'm horrified about the potentiality of a power grid failure.

Our country will be thrown back into the stone ages.

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
Has anyone read the book "Lights Out" by Ted Koppel? All I can say right now is I'm horrified about the potentiality of a power grid failure.

Our country will be thrown back into the stone ages.
I haven't, but it's been high on my worry list for a long time. I owned part of a nuclear engineering company for about ten years and, perforce, had to get familiar with some aspects of the power grid. You may not be lucky from the standpoint of hurricanes, but from the standpoint of the grid, there's a lot to be said for living in Texas...

G-VilleTider

Suspended
Aug 17, 2006
Hey DBF, check out this book. It's about how a single community in small town USA would fare after a HEMP takes out the power grid. Instead of focusing on the technical aspects or the broader consequences, it tries to tell how a family and a community attempt to cope. As someone who has believed for years that our biggest threat is not from a surface detonation, but rather a high altitude one, this is a quick read that offers candy for a sci-fi guy like me who already thought similarly :)

One Second After

Displaced Bama Fan

Hall of Fame
Jun 5, 2000
Shiner, TX
Hey DBF, check out this book. It's about how a single community in small town USA would fare after a HEMP takes out the power grid. Instead of focusing on the technical aspects or the broader consequences, it tries to tell how a family and a community attempt to cope. As someone who has believed for years that our biggest threat is not from a surface detonation, but rather a high altitude one, this is a quick read that offers candy for a sci-fi guy like me who already thought similarly :)

One Second After
Read it and the sequel. Waiting for the third one to go to paperback.

Displaced Bama Fan

Hall of Fame
Jun 5, 2000
Shiner, TX
Koppel's book focuses on real life concerns about our electrical infrastructure, the frailties of no longer having vertically integrated producers/ suppliers, the lack of security cyber and physical of our assets such as substations, etc.

It's freaking scary.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.