ESPNs game day is boring!!

bamaga

Hall of Fame
Apr 29, 2002
JAWJA
I haven't been to a live game day in quite a many years, maybe 15 or so. I was probably too old then but went anyway for the 'experience'. it was kind of boring then, and gotten worse since. Watching today at times is almost painful. The slate of games probably contributes, but it seems ESPN is trying to hard to appease the masses. I think they have lost the formula for a good live broadcast. Might as well be a studio show again.
The early gameday broadcast were exciting . I attended a few in the early / mid nineties , they were a little raw, kind of pep rally'ish. The hosts were close to the crowd, the crowd stayed excited and full of emotion and the set had few props or technical displays . Those were great, what college football passion was all about. Today's broadcast , the hosts rarely speak to or even at the crowd. The crowd seems uninterested because they are not involved, might as well be a studio show. Just wondering what everyone else thinks about the evolution of gameday?

Crimson1967

Hall of Fame
Nov 22, 2011
Petino looks like he stole his daughter's shirt for the show.
Maybe he got it from a barmaid he had sex with after closing time this morning.

At least he has a connection to the school. We got a pop country singer that played football at the Extension Center.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

81usaf92

TideFans Legend
Apr 26, 2008
South Alabama
Gameday during cupcake filled weeks is generally boring. It's mostly because they have to find stories that relate to the schools they are visiting and find something to fill a 3 hr time slot. When Bama plays LSU they are pretty good. But I've been to so many that I'm in the "been there, done that kinda group." So I watch it on tv

LSUgrad2BamaDad

All-SEC
May 5, 2016
Destrehan, LA
Gameday during cupcake filled weeks is generally boring. It's mostly because they have to find stories that relate to the schools they are visiting and find something to fill a 3 hr time slot. When Bama plays LSU they are pretty good. But I've been to so many that I'm in the "been there, done that kinda group." So I watch it on tv
I agree with this, but also when they expanded the format to 3 hours a few years back, it definitely lost something. Quality always wins over quantity, or else there would be a Golden Corral on every corner.

BamaGreek

All-American
Jan 6, 2007
Brentwood, TN
I usually have it on my TV but have it muted. If I see anything that interests me I turn it up. It has definitely siipped over the years.

GrayTide

Hall of Fame
Nov 15, 2005
Greenbow, Alabama
I haven't watched gameday in years and try to avoid ESPN at all times. Same format, talk up the game where they are, then move on to the rest of the games, then Tom Rinaldi does his tear jerking piece. Then the celebrity guest picker, someone like Al Sharpton or Ernest Ainsley and then Corso puts on the silly mascot head. Gameday ran its course quite a few years ago.

DzynKingRTR

TideFans Legend
Dec 17, 2003
Vinings, ga., usa
I take my morning bike ride during this garbage. I am glad I miss the entire show. I heard they will be in Times Square next week. I cannot even begin to understand why.

theballguy

Hall of Fame
Nov 5, 2012
Roll Tide Roll, Colorado USA
Got rid of TV entirely. When I want to go watch a game live, I just go to the local pub/grill.

Those shows are supposed to just be goofy entertainment. These days, these talking heads don't know more than the top 20% of fans out there. It's just not worth my time.

And while we're at it, get off my lawn!

RammerJammer14

Hall of Fame
Aug 18, 2007
UA
Yeah they don't really get the crowd involved at all. I went to the Penn State one on campus in 2010. The security guy kept confiscating our sign for obscure reasons. Had to change it about 5 times.

Personally I miss "Todd's taste of the town". Always got good college atmosphere out of that and also have ideas of places to eat at some away games.

Bama_M.D.

Suspended
Aug 30, 2014
Once ESPN starting lacing everything with SJW bull I only watch the games. If i had a choice I would never watch but they have monopolized CFB

Last edited:

rolltide_21

Hall of Fame
Dec 9, 2007
NW AL
Next week they'll be in Times Square. That's a horrible decision. Maybe 0.5% of the people at Times Square care about CFB. It's going to be noisy and awkward.

teamplayer

Hall of Fame
Jul 31, 2001
cullman, al, usa
I haven't been to a live game day in quite a many years, maybe 15 or so. I was probably too old then but went anyway for the 'experience'. it was kind of boring then, and gotten worse since. Watching today at times is almost painful. The slate of games probably contributes, but it seems ESPN is trying to hard to appease the masses. I think they have lost the formula for a good live broadcast. Might as well be a studio show again.
The early gameday broadcast were exciting . I attended a few in the early / mid nineties , they were a little raw, kind of pep rally'ish. The hosts were close to the crowd, the crowd stayed excited and full of emotion and the set had few props or technical displays . Those were great, what college football passion was all about. Today's broadcast , the hosts rarely speak to or even at the crowd. The crowd seems uninterested because they are not involved, might as well be a studio show. Just wondering what everyone else thinks about the evolution of gameday?
I agree and have rarely watched it for quite a few years. Once they started with all the music and made it more about entertainment than football, I lost interest. I'm like you; I like the raw emotion of fans and football that makes college football great.

teamplayer

Hall of Fame
Jul 31, 2001
cullman, al, usa
I agree with this, but also when they expanded the format to 3 hours a few years back, it definitely lost something. Quality always wins over quantity, or else there would be a Golden Corral on every corner.
What? Are you crazy? Golden Corral has all you can eat prime rib and shrimp! Hahahaha! I agree that three hours is very, very excessive and makes the "talent" think what they have to say is more important than the games. It isn't.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.