Doug Adler Fired--Sues ESPN--Used "Guerilla" Regarding Black Player's Tactics

day-day

Hall of Fame
Jan 2, 2005
Bartlett, TN (Memphis area)
Doug Adler Fired--Sues ESPN--Used "Guerilla" Regarding Black Player's Tactics

This is old news but I first heard about it last night watching news on TV...

"Guerilla Tennis" was used during a Nike TV commercial and is a term used to describe a certain aggressive style of play in tennis. Doug Adler used this term to describe a specific moment during Venus Williams' match. Adler was accused by many of being racist and of describing Williams as a gorilla.

How much tip-toeing do folks have to do?

https://www.si.com/tennis/2017/02/14/doug-adler-espn-lawsuit-venus-williams-wrongful-termination

AlexanderFan

Hall of Fame
Jul 23, 2004
Birmingham
Re: Doug Adler Fired--Sues ESPN--Used "Guerilla" Regarding Black Player's Tactics

All of it, if you don't reside in liberal land.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

LA4Bama

All-SEC
Jan 5, 2015
Los Angeles, CA
Re: Doug Adler Fired--Sues ESPN--Used "Guerilla" Regarding Black Player's Tactics

It makes for an interesting contrast with Jemele Hill, though. What she tweeted was actually loaded with race based accusations, but she gets a perfunctory warning. This guy actually said something different than what he is accused of, which has zero race implications, and he is fired. People can argue all they want about Linda Cohn's suspension, but this is the real double standard and it is very stark.

AUDub

Hall of Fame
Dec 4, 2013
Give me ambiguity or give me something else.

Been following this closely. Just an FYI, Guerilla tactics is not a term of art in tennis. If the only support he can provide is a commercial showing Agassi and Sampras playing in random locations, he has nothing.

What do I think? I think he said gorilla. I think he meant gorilla. I don't think he meant anything racist by it. I think he brain farted and forgot he was ascribing those traits to a black woman. It was a gaffe. I don't think he should have been fired over it, but he's dug a hell of a hole after the fact that makes it seem like it wasn't such a bad decision in hindsight.

day-day

Hall of Fame
Jan 2, 2005
Bartlett, TN (Memphis area)

Been following this closely. Just an FYI, Guerilla tactics is not a term of art in tennis. If the only support he can provide is a commercial showing Agassi and Sampras playing in random locations, he has nothing.

What do I think? I think he said gorilla. I think he meant gorilla. I don't think he meant anything racist by it. I think he brain farted and forgot he was ascribing those traits to a black woman. It was a gaffe. I don't think he should have been fired over it, but he's dug a hell of a hole after the fact that makes it seem like it wasn't such a bad decision in hindsight.
I wasn't familiar with the term guerilla effect but I've seen references where it has been used and probably came from the TV commercial. The court papers include this, "Peter Bodo, senior editor of Tennis magazine, used the term in a 2012 profile of Agnieszka Radwanska." (I don't think it really fits her style though.) I can't find the Tennis magazine profile so I don't know.

Either way, this should have never been an issue.

https://twitter.com/guerilla4tennis

Last edited:

Redwood Forrest

Hall of Fame
Sep 19, 2003
Boaz, AL USA

A current METV promo shows several clips from Perry Mason (old and new) and Matlock. At the end it shows a gorilla bursting thru a door where Perry is sitting and the next clip show Matlock's black detective getting punched in the nose. I raised my eyebrows and I am just waiting for the racism finger pointers.

crimson fan man

Hall of Fame
Aug 12, 2002
Athens Al

Our society has become so thin skin. I think people are just looking for a reason to be offended so maybe they can sue for money or something. What a joke!!

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.