UAB attendance back to normal

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
OK...maybe I should know more about this as a person who has lived about 30 years in the Great State, but what did Bartow do?
The B1G post being quoted is from the beginning of this thread, so there are several informative posts explaining the situation. Well worth the time if you have it to go back and read the start of the thread to see what everyone was saying about the issue after he asked about it.

Short answer

Longer answer

BamaMoon

Hall of Fame
Apr 1, 2004
Boone, NC
The B1G post being quoted is from the beginning of this thread, so there are several informative posts explaining the situation. Well worth the time if you have it to go back and read the start of the thread to see what everyone was saying about the issue after he asked about it.

Short answer

Longer answer
Wow...guess I didn't know that.

No wonder we won't ever play them in football!!!

lowend

All-SEC
Feb 20, 2005
I haven't weighed in on this yet because of all the anti-UAB sentiment, but I think the new stadium will be a good thing for central Alabama as a whole. While I love the idea of the Super 7 high school championships rotating between Tuscaloosa & Auburn, it really is depressing, to me at least, to have a high school game in those caverns. Also, Auburn is a horrible drive for the north Alabama teams. I think Birmingham would have a real shot at getting the Super 7 back. Also, look at what's gone on with Railroad Park, Regions Field, Uptown, the Paramount, Pizitz Food Hall, etc. In Tuscaloosa, look at what's happened to downtown after an investment was made in the Riverwalk, Government Plaza, and the Amp - hotels, dining, recreation all followed. People came too. It's great to walk around Tuscaloosa on a Saturday and be able to do things. When I was growing up in T-town, there was nothing to do because there was nothing besides college dive bars. The days of being able to turn Birmingham into an Atlanta, Nashville, and Charlotte are long past due to the way the metro area has carved itself up, BUT Birmingham can take a HUGE step forward by doing something that should have been done 20 years ago.

4Q Basket Case

FB|BB Moderator
Staff member
Nov 8, 2004
Tuscaloosa
I haven't weighed in on this yet because of all the anti-UAB sentiment, but I think the new stadium will be a good thing for central Alabama as a whole. While I love the idea of the Super 7 high school championships rotating between Tuscaloosa & Auburn, it really is depressing, to me at least, to have a high school game in those caverns. Also, Auburn is a horrible drive for the north Alabama teams. I think Birmingham would have a real shot at getting the Super 7 back. Also, look at what's gone on with Railroad Park, Regions Field, Uptown, the Paramount, Pizitz Food Hall, etc. In Tuscaloosa, look at what's happened to downtown after an investment was made in the Riverwalk, Government Plaza, and the Amp - hotels, dining, recreation all followed. People came too. It's great to walk around Tuscaloosa on a Saturday and be able to do things. When I was growing up in T-town, there was nothing to do because there was nothing besides college dive bars. The days of being able to turn Birmingham into an Atlanta, Nashville, and Charlotte are long past due to the way the metro area has carved itself up, BUT Birmingham can take a HUGE step forward by doing something that should have been done 20 years ago.
My opposition has nothing to do with UAB.

IF I had any faith whatsoever in either the Birmingham City Council or the Jefferson County Commission, I would agree with you. If Walt Maddox were running either, I'd be fine. But I don't, and Maddox is busy with Tuscaloosa and running for governor.

Under the best of leadership, a project of this size, riding on a river of public money, offers infinite opportunities to siphon off big dollars into crooked pockets.

But the BCC and JCC don't chin the bar for even barely adequate.

I simply see no reason to believe that an unbroken string of graft and corruption will suddenly stop. So I expect massive cost overruns, including big money to rip out and re-do substandard work from contractors who have no qualifications other than bribes to a politician, recommended by equally unqualified "consultants," who are likewise on the giving end of bribes.

For me, it's not a UAB issue. I would fully support a 20,000 seat stadium, with construction and ongoing maintenance managed by professionals in UAB's Facilities department, built on campus, in such a manner that expansion is easy should sustained paying attendance (note sustained and paying) warrant it.

My opposition to this proposal is based on what I predict will be yet another Birmingham / Jefferson County boondoggle in which the taxpayers will get hammered for the umpteenth time.

Last edited:

lowend

All-SEC
Feb 20, 2005
My opposition to this proposal is based on what I predict will be yet another Birmingham / Jefferson County boondoggle in which the taxpayers will get hammered for the umpteenth time.
That's a perfectly reasonable basis of opposition.

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.