UAB attendance back to normal

KrAzY3

Hall of Fame
Jan 18, 2006
kraizy.art
I don’t think 6 years is a record. I can name a few right off the top of my head.
Florida Atlantic started in 2001 was FBS in 2005
Florida International started in 2001 was FBS in 2005
South Alabama started in 2008 was FBS starting in 2013
Charlotte started in 2013 moved to FBS 2015 (there is your record holder)
Now think about how many of those actually should have an FBS program...

Remember, only about 15-20 football programs are actually profitable. If a football program has to make money to survive, the sport would have disappeared a long time ago.
Not the sport, but the wastes of money certainly wouldn't have. The idea that a sport can't survive with only 15 programs is kind of silly isn't it?
Though, I would lower the bar a bit. The program should serve a valid purpose, a legitimate function. What does UAB do? I mean seriously, what benefit does UAB football provide?

Last edited:

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
Not the sport, but the wastes of money certainly wouldn't have. The idea that a sport can't survive with only 15 programs is kind of silly isn't it?
Think it through. The NFL and MLB had to adopt revenue sharing schemes to survive. College football survives because of all of its teams, not just the huge programs that make money. There would be no Alabamas without Vandys.

KrAzY3

Hall of Fame
Jan 18, 2006
kraizy.art
Think it through. The NFL and MLB had to adopt revenue sharing schemes to survive. College football survives because of all of its teams, not just the huge programs that make money. There would be no Alabamas without Vandys.
I did think it through, and the sport would survive with far less. How many less is debatable, but comparing them to professional sports with payrolls of 100 million or what ever isn't really valid. Those franchises could survive easily with only a meager tens of millions of annual payroll... Not only that, but we're talking about college football programs that pre-dated pro sports. Some of those pro teams that need a bit of a helping hand to keep up with huge expenditures have been around for a rather short time and have far less tradition and ingrained support.

crimsonaudio

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 9, 2002
crimsonaudio.net
Nah, Vandy and the like could go away and nothing would change - if the top 64 FBS programs decided to separate from the NCAA, they'd make even more money. The small programs like UAB, BSu, etc siphon off far more than they generate.

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
Nah, Vandy and the like could go away and nothing would change - if the top 64 FBS programs decided to separate from the NCAA, they'd make even more money. The small programs like UAB, BSu, etc siphon off far more than they generate.
I personally know several ADs and head coaches in college football. We talk about this kind of thing all the time. I don't think that you understand just how much money these programs lose - millions of dollars/year at best, and tens of millions/year is not uncommon. A league of 32 teams might remain profitable, but not much more.

Sorry - I just noticed that you said that they could break away from the NCAA. That would change a great deal. Not sure how many teams could make money if they were really allowed to run the teams as businesses, but it would be much easier.

Last edited:

KrAzY3

Hall of Fame
Jan 18, 2006
kraizy.art
I personally know several ADs and head coaches in college football. We talk about this kind of thing all the time. I don't think that you understand just how much money these programs lose - millions of dollars/year at best, and tens of millions/year is not uncommon. A league of 32 teams might remain profitable, but not much more.
Considering the fact that there's another poster basically arguing that UAB isn't really losing money on football, perhaps you two should have a discussion and get this sorted out...

That aside, I do thoroughly reject the idea that the Yankees need the Devil Rays at all. I understand some of the principle, but a deeply devoted fanbase can keep a program going, in college or the pros.

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
Considering the fact that there's another poster basically arguing that UAB isn't really losing money on football, perhaps you two should have a discussion and get this sorted out...

That aside, I do thoroughly reject the idea that the Yankees need the Devil Rays at all. I understand some of the principle, but a deeply devoted fanbase can keep a program going, in college or the pros.
As I said earlier - don't know anything about UAB. My response here is simply about the economics of the sport as it exists today. Almost every college program loses money. They are willing to lose that money to attract the real $$$ - students.

crimsonaudio

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 9, 2002
crimsonaudio.net

Sorry - I just noticed that you said that they could break away from the NCAA. That would change a great deal. Not sure how many teams could make money if they were really allowed to run the teams as businesses, but it would be much easier.
LOL, yah, I know a thing or two about AD finances...

Only the top 20 or so programs are in the black (the number varies from year to year, obviously). That's precisely the point - those would remain, and the top grossing 45 or so teams along with them. The dead weight - the programs that lose ridiculous amounts of money year in and out, only making the books look remotely good by being rent-a-wins and sharing conference bowl money - would go away (or go back to FCS where they belong).

Losing the least profitable teams from the current 128 would only strengthen the bottom line for the top teams. This is business 101.

Shrack

Sep 20, 2017

It's not. What loses money is Title IX compliance. But that's the case for nearly every athletic program. If you just remove football (basically what UAB did), you're not 'fixing' anything. Football and MBB typically have to cover the bills for everything else.

Remove football and men's basketball and you have no ticket revenue, donations, rights/licensing/TV deals from being in a conference of similar schools. They are the reason any of it is around at all

What UAB did was they said "hey, we are capping the athletic subsidy at 15 million a year." They removed football so that can go through and lose conference affiliation and just pay 15 mil a year to play everything else in a crappier FCS conference with expenses not having to increase. Though hilariously naive, the CARR report was working under the assumption CUSA would keep UAB if football was dropped. Obviously wasn't the case as they threatened to kick us out if it was not reinstated.

Even regardless that UAB football returned, the athletic subsidy is still capped at 15 million a year now. You can view that at Sports Finance USA Today. Anything else has to be donor covered and it is. There is no additional taxpayer money coming into UAB football now that it is back, outside of maybe the city of Birmingham saying they'd donate some money each year

Think of it as like: You're quitting your job because you don't want to pay for the exorbinant gas and car repairs to get you there. Not a smart fix to your problem and you still have your personal bills to pay

Sent from my SM-G900T using Tapatalk

Last edited:

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
Losing the least profitable teams from the current 128 would only strengthen the bottom line for the top teams. This is business 101.
Professional sports leagues learned a long time ago that sports does not follow the same principles for profitability as other industries. It is an entertainment industry, but one that relies on its competition to increase revenue. The fewer the number of viable teams in the market, the less revenue there is to share among those remaining. It is not a zero sum game. Fans are not willing to automatically spend x number of dollars or hours of time watching a sport in which they are not invested personally. The only way to maintain or increase revenue streams is to increase the connection of the audience to the sport. The best way to do that (per others' research) is by maintaining a broader team base. The broader the team base, the greater the revenue.

So, shrink the pool of teams dramatically and you also shrink the revenue base dramatically. So, yes, there would be fewer teams to split the pie, but the pie would be much smaller. Do the teams currently making money want a larger piece of a smaller pie? Can any smaller teams unable to make it on their portion of the pie today make it on a bigger piece of a smaller pie?

Forget conference TV contracts. They disappear. You now have a single national contract for college football. Now split that up. Hoe many pieces can you cut that pie into before the pieces are so small that they no longer keep teams afloat?

Redwood Forrest

Hall of Fame
Sep 19, 2003
Boaz, AL USA
I am not a CPA but I do know a few economic basics. If UAB WERE A BUSINESS they would declare bankruptcy because no financial institution is going to keep loaning them money to operate (keep afloat) with only a handful of customers.

Now your company CPA can wave his magic want over the books all he wants to and claim they are actually making money ...... but I ain't buying. They less people in the stands the more profit UAB makes, right? Uhhh, no thank you, that won't fly either.

Shrack

Sep 20, 2017
I am not a CPA but I do know a few economic basics. If UAB WERE A BUSINESS they would declare bankruptcy because no financial institution is going to keep loaning them money to operate (keep afloat) with only a handful of customers.

Now your company CPA can wave his magic want over the books all he wants to and claim they are actually making money ...... but I ain't buying. They less people in the stands the more profit UAB makes, right? Uhhh, no thank you, that won't fly either.
Holy cow. By that account, you could shut down nearly every public institution of higher learning as they're not making money on the books themselves...you do realize why colleges have education, athletics, music, the arts, etc right? You should take a look at universities fiscal statements in our state and see how much money is being spent

If anything, public schools will try to show a loss on their books for obvious reasons

crimsonaudio

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 9, 2002
crimsonaudio.net
The broader the team base, the greater the revenue.
Only when the product is remotely equal, which is why the pro-sports have tried to level the playing field across the board.

So, shrink the pool of teams dramatically and you also shrink the revenue base dramatically. So, yes, there would be fewer teams to split the pie, but the pie would be much smaller.
This is where you're incorrect - maybe you've not looked at the revenue streams of the small FBS (should be FCS) schools, but I have. One Alabama or OSU equals literally 5-10x the total revenue of the shouldn't-be-FBS schools.

Not to mention their viewership is tiny. Not many fans in the stadiums and not many fans watching at home, unless they're playing a P5 school.

Forget conference TV contracts. They disappear.
LOL, yah. because suddenly the big moneymakers like the SEC, B1G, B12, PAC12, and ACC won't be worth anything? Viewership for those games would INCREASE - because people watch big games. Not one fan would care if Oklahoma wasn't playing Troy or similar, and the quality of the games would increase if every team played was a P5 member. Better teams playing better teams. In fact, that would be a lot closer to the pro sports model than what we currently see...

What we have now is a bunch of big-revenue schools dragging along a bunch of schools that should be FCS. If you don't think so, ask yourself this - could the P5 exist if the G5 disappeared? You know the answer is yes. Could the G5 exist without the P5? Not in any way like it does now - it would operate more like the FCS, which is what the G5 teams essentially are.

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
Only when the product is remotely equal, which is why the pro-sports have tried to level the playing field across the board.

This is where you're incorrect - maybe you've not looked at the revenue streams of the small FBS (should be FCS) schools, but I have. One Alabama or OSU equals literally 5-10x the total revenue of the shouldn't-be-FBS schools.

Not to mention their viewership is tiny. Not many fans in the stadiums and not many fans watching at home, unless they're playing a P5 school.

LOL, yah. because suddenly the big moneymakers like the SEC, B1G, B12, PAC12, and ACC won't be worth anything? Viewership for those games would INCREASE - because people watch big games. Not one fan would care if Oklahoma wasn't playing Troy or similar, and the quality of the games would increase if every team played was a P5 member. Better teams playing better teams. In fact, that would be a lot closer to the pro sports model than what we currently see...

What we have now is a bunch of big-revenue schools dragging along a bunch of schools that should be FCS. If you don't think so, ask yourself this - could the P5 exist if the G5 disappeared? You know the answer is yes. Could the G5 exist without the P5? Not in any way like it does now - it would operate more like the FCS, which is what the G5 teams essentially are.
Maybe you are correct.A different poster said that we should eliminate every school that cannot at least break even. I suggested that this would leave us with only about 30 teams after the pie is re-established and re-sliced. You think that the number would be much higher - maybe as high as 64 teams. That is where our disagreement comes from because if there are 64 teams remaining there could still be 4 great conferences with separate contracts. That works if you are correct. But I just don't see 64 teams capable of turning a profit without some serious revenue sharing.

crimsonaudio

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 9, 2002
crimsonaudio.net
Maybe you are correct.A different poster said that we should eliminate every school that cannot at least break even. I suggested that this would leave us with only about 30 teams after the pie is re-established and re-sliced. You think that the number would be much higher - maybe as high as 64 teams. That is where our disagreement comes from because if there are 64 teams remaining there could still be 4 great conferences with separate contracts. That works if you are correct. But I just don't see 64 teams capable of turning a profit without some serious revenue sharing.
Yah, I've long said ~64 is the number (I believe I said so earlier in this thread, but it might have been another recent thread) - basically, the P5 teams, give or take a few. Would make more money for each school and we'd be done with the silly notion that UAB, FAU, BSu, etc. belong alongside OSU, OU, Alabama, etc.

Redwood Forrest

Hall of Fame
Sep 19, 2003
Boaz, AL USA
Holy cow. By that account, you could shut down nearly every public institution of higher learning as they're not making money on the books themselves...you do realize why colleges have education, athletics, music, the arts, etc right? You should take a look at universities fiscal statements in our state and see how much money is being spent

If anything, public schools will try to show a loss on their books for obvious reasons

Holy Cow. Where did you see I said shut them down? I did not say that. I just want some people to quit trying to skew the numbers showing UAB is making money.

If three unprofitable supermarkets shut down in my town, leaving three that are making a profit -- now those three left will be worse off????????? I ain't buying that.

Redwood Forrest

Hall of Fame
Sep 19, 2003
Boaz, AL USA
Holy Cow. Where did you see I said shut them down? I did not say that. I just want some people to quit trying to skew the numbers showing UAB is making money.

If three unprofitable supermarkets shut down in my town, leaving three that are making a profit -- now those three left will be worse off????????? I ain't buying that.
If anything, public schools will try to show a loss on their books for obvious reasons There you go. Waving that magic wand I was talking about. LOL. Cook them books. I am sure some will buy it, but not me.

Shrack

Sep 20, 2017
If anything, public schools will try to show a loss on their books for obvious reasons There you go. Waving that magic wand I was talking about. LOL. Cook them books. I am sure some will buy it, but not me.
I've already posted how incorrect the Carr report was with inaccurate reporting of the income and expenses of scholarships. You can read it or not.

The point is they were being "cooked" negatively, the exact thing you seem to be arguing against

Last edited:

PitMaster

Suspended
Aug 24, 2015
I've already posted how incorrect the Carr report was with inaccurate reporting of the income and expenses of scholarships. You can read it or not.

The point is they're being "cooked" negatively, the exact thing you seem to be arguing against

LOL

Of course the uab militia will deny the validity of The Carr Report - psu denied the results of the investigation into the Sandusky debacle.

In the most simplistic terms, because I think Jack Simmons, err I mean shrack is really trying to cloud the issue with extraneous numbers and creative interpretations...

uab football attendance stinks
there is no real interest in the program - I NEVER hear anyone outside of Birmingham even acknowledge uab football
uab long ago alienated The University, and alienated many Alabama fans, like myself, who would have supported Basketball
The City of Birmingham in a hand washing deal buys 5000 seats a year from uab - which is counted as "attendance"
expenses for football are immense
It would be best for UAB proper and its other athletic endeavors to drop the football farse

And other Programs in this situation should also consider course adjustment - I do not think South Alabama needs D-1 football, am a bit torn on Troy. Troy has paid their dues, but I still tend to think they have over-expanded as well

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.