UAB attendance back to normal

AUDub

Hall of Fame
Dec 4, 2013
Give me ambiguity or give me something else.
I live in Birmingham, and my real question is how many of the attendees bought their tickets from the UAB athletic department, at face?

Lots of companies around town buy tickets, often at a discount, and distribute them to employees as a perk, at no charge. A lot of times, the HR departments can't even give them away.

Admittedly, Legion Field is an abomination. UAB should build a 20-30,000 seat stadium on campus. The stadium should be designed with expansion in mind. If attendance justifies, they can always add on. If not (as I expect will be the case), they haven't flushed a ton of money.

But this is Birmingham, and common sense isn't very common.
Man, I would love a 30,000 seater in Southside. Would be a great addition to the growing scene. The Barons keep leading the Southern League in attendance since moving down here. UAB could do well too.

KrAzY3

Hall of Fame
Jan 18, 2006
kraizy.art
The Barons keep leading the Southern League in attendance since moving down here. UAB could do well too.
The Barons have a very rich and long lasting history. Their roots go back all the way to the 1800s, they have been in near continuous existence as a AA franchise since the 40s. They have been the premier baseball team in the state of Alabama for decades. Their former field is of historic importance and is basically a museum now. It almost cheapens their history to bring this up, but I loaded their bus once, signed by Michael Jordan (donated and used by him as well), the most famous athlete of his era. Just that one thing alone helped make the Barons one of the more recognizable minor league teams in existence. The Barons were even featured in Space Jam. Their fan support has always been consistent, no matter the venue, and that's why they've been able to continue for so long.

We're comparing that to UAB football? Like, in any way? Pretty much every football team in the state not named Auburn or Alabama is destined to fairly low attendance, and that applies to the pros as well. That aside, the most important thing UAB football has ever done is get shut down...

capnfrog

All-American
Aug 17, 2002
Pell city, Al. U.S.A.
I would have gone to UAB game this past weekend but no way would I take my wife and grandkids into that neighborhood. Refurbish the stadium, tear down the projects and build a parking deck. Makes more sense than blowing money on Fair Park.

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
Probably the best compromise is to:

1: keep the Power 5 intact and exempt from the following below.
2: regionally divide up all of the non power 5 teams
3: have 3 levels of football. D1,D2, D3
4: Use the England soccer method of deciding who is where on a 4 year basis. Basically great performance gets you to the higher levels and bad performance gets you placed in lower leagues.
5: come up with a clear cut method of deciding who moves up and down
6: power 5 teams cannot schedule non D1 teams.

Using this method eliminates a lot of the stupid becoming FBS status teams, and effectively ends the argument of FBS teams scheduling FCS teams. It also gives teams a chance to grow and be able to compete with teams of equal status.
You would then have to restructure the scholarship rules. D3 doesn't offer scholarships.

bamaslammer

All-American
Jan 8, 2003
Argo, AL, St Clair
www.kirkwoodhouse.com
UAB is a perfect example of Management by Mob rule. There can be a massive difference between the public noise of a social media outcry and the actual support for something. "Grass root" used to be a thing back when you had to get a pen and paper, write down your thoughts in a letter, get a stamp, mail it, then repeat daily. Now they just "copy", "past", "click" you just moved heaven and earth. The next generation of leaders must learn to know the difference between public opinion and a ....ed off minority with internet access.

lowend

All-SEC
Feb 20, 2005
UAB is a perfect example of Management by Mob rule. There can be a massive difference between the public noise of a social media outcry and the actual support for something. "Grass root" used to be a thing back when you had to get a pen and paper, write down your thoughts in a letter, get a stamp, mail it, then repeat daily. Now they just "copy", "past", "click" you just moved heaven and earth. The next generation of leaders must learn to know the difference between public opinion and a ....ed off minority with internet access.
See also: the hiring of Mike Dubose and the fax campaign.

AUDub

Hall of Fame
Dec 4, 2013
The Barons have a very rich and long lasting history. Their roots go back all the way to the 1800s, they have been in near continuous existence as a AA franchise since the 40s. They have been the premier baseball team in the state of Alabama for decades. Their former field is of historic importance and is basically a museum now. It almost cheapens their history to bring this up, but I loaded their bus once, signed by Michael Jordan (donated and used by him as well), the most famous athlete of his era. Just that one thing alone helped make the Barons one of the more recognizable minor league teams in existence. The Barons were even featured in Space Jam. Their fan support has always been consistent, no matter the venue, and that's why they've been able to continue for so long.
Have them play their games in Graymont rather than Hoover or Southside. Nobody likes going down there, and there's a good reason for that. Watch those attendance numbers plunge. (And yes, I'm aware they have a one off game every year in Rickwood in Ensley that draws great crowds. I attended it pretty frequently growing up. But one game does not a season make.)

And the numbers don't lie. Attendance has gone up tremendously. In the five years prior to the move, they averaged 3981 fans in attendance per game. In the time sense they've moved, they averaged 6054. More than 2000 more per game. Not to mention leading the league every year.

There's a lot to do around the stadium in Southside these days, and a lot of residential property going up too.

We're comparing that to UAB football? Like, in any way? Pretty much every football team in the state not named Auburn or Alabama is destined to fairly low attendance, and that applies to the pros as well. That aside, the most important thing UAB football has ever done is get shut down...
Man, you read a lot more into my post than I intended. The point I am making is that attendance will likely rise if they are moved to a better venue close to the school and in a better part of town. It would do wonders for the program. I'd go a lot more frequently.

Hell, look at the post following yours:

I would have gone to UAB game this past weekend but no way would I take my wife and grandkids into that neighborhood. Refurbish the stadium, tear down the projects and build a parking deck. Makes more sense than blowing money on Fair Park.
And that is by no means an infrequent notion.

Last edited:

CrimsonProf

Hall of Fame
Dec 30, 2006
Birmingham, Alabama
Support for UAB in Birmingham reminds of Vaclav Havel's Green Grocer.

The whole notion of Legion Field being unsafe is a red herring. Who is afraid to park in that lot in the middle of the day? It's perfectly safe - we're not talking about parking in someone's front yard for a night game.

And Dub - following Barons baseball isn't the same as a city full of UA/AU fans missing SEC football to watch UAB play Marshall.

Last edited:

81usaf92

TideFans Legend
Apr 26, 2008
South Alabama
You would then have to restructure the scholarship rules. D3 doesn't offer scholarships.
Yeah my idea is very basic, but I believe at some point the NCAA needs to really tackle the issue of who is where because its starting to be a real issue. I dont mind non power 5 teams, but there are becoming too many of them.

AUDub

Hall of Fame
Dec 4, 2013
Support for UAB in Birmingham reminds of Vaclav Havel's Green Grocer.

The whole notion of Legion Field being unsafe is a red herring. Who is afraid to park in that lot in the middle of the day? It's perfectly safe - we're not talking about parking in someone's front yard for a night game.
I used to go to UAB games pretty frequently and was at the Birmingham Bowl two years ago. Trust me. It sucks. It's inconvenient as hell and the parking sucks.

"Watching yo car for yah! 10 dollars!"

And Dub - following Barons baseball isn't the same as a city full of UA/AU fans missing SEC football to watch UAB play Marshall.
Trust me. With all the residential popping up in the area, the folks would love something else to do on Saturday afternoons/nights in the fall, not to mention being by the school. Southside is pretty awesome right now.

CrimsonProf

Hall of Fame
Dec 30, 2006
Birmingham, Alabama
I used to go to UAB games pretty frequently and was at the Birmingham Bowl two years ago. Trust me. It sucks. It's inconvenient as hell and the parking sucks.

"Watching yo car for yah! 10 dollars!"

Trust me. With all the residential popping up in the area, the folks would love something else to do on Saturday afternoons/nights in the fall, not to mention being by the school. Southside is pretty awesome right now.
Trust me - I live and work in Birmingham. The support for paying customers to UAB football is not there and if it ever developed it would eventually pose a threat to UA or AU. I don't need to reminded about Southside - I've been to Regions, all the breweries (many, many times), Railroad Park, etc. UAB would be better off with a great soccer team and let their basketball turn into Marquette.

AUDub

Hall of Fame
Dec 4, 2013
Trust me - I live and work in Birmingham. The support for paying customers to UAB football is not there and if it ever developed it would eventually pose a threat to UA or AU. I don't need to reminded about Southside - I've been to Regions, all the breweries (many, many times), Railroad Park, etc. UAB would be better off with a great soccer team and let their basketball turn into Marquette.
I work at Children's in Southside, lived in South Highlands for a time before meeting my wife (a UAB alum) and moving all over the area and settling in Trussville. Hey, we even had our reception at Good People. Still frequent it.

I think the support is there and can grow. Let them put a stadium near the school, within walking distance of the new condos, and develop some sort of gameday atmosphere.

UAB will never be a threat to Alabama or Auburn.

CrimsonProf

Hall of Fame
Dec 30, 2006
Birmingham, Alabama
I work at Children's in Southside, lived in South Highlands for a time before meeting my wife (a UAB alum) and moving all over the area and settling in Trussville. Hey, we even had our reception at Good People. Still frequent it.

I think the support is there and can grow. Let them put a stadium near the school, within walking distance of the new condos, and develop some sort of gameday atmosphere.

UAB will never be a threat to Alabama or Auburn.
But it won't turn a profit, either, and therein lies the problem.

AUDub

Hall of Fame
Dec 4, 2013
But it won't turn a profit, either, and therein lies the problem.
UAB actually turned a profit in 2014! Now I understand that there were a lot of allocated funds involved there, but those aren't rare at all. In fact, Houston, Cincinnati and Memphis, three programs that are or were members of CUSA, we're subsidised at a higher rate at the time, but nobody seriously discussed shuttering their programs.

And they're hardly in a position to do much more than scrape by right now. They're handicapped by their venue. People go to football games for a good gameday experience. Legion Field, as steeped in tradition as it is, doesn't provide that nowadays. A stadium on or near the campus would do wonders in that regard.

81usaf92

TideFans Legend
Apr 26, 2008
South Alabama
UAB actually turned a profit in 2014! Now I understand that there were a lot of allocated funds involved there, but those aren't rare at all. In fact, Houston, Cincinnati and Memphis, three programs that are or were members of CUSA, we're subsidised at a higher rate at the time, but nobody seriously discussed shuttering their programs.

And they're hardly in a position to do much more than scrape by right now. They're handicapped by their venue. People go to football games for a good gameday experience. Legion Field, as steeped in tradition as it is, doesn't provide that nowadays. A stadium on or near the campus would do wonders in that regard.
To be honest they would do better to rent the Hoover met until they built a new stadium

Tide1986

Suspended
Nov 22, 2008
Birmingham, AL

Would you expect the football program to bear the cost of the new stadium including any land purchase that might be required?

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
Was talking to a former Troy athletic department employee a few weeks back. He commented Troy and UAB should play week night home games instead of Saturday to not even try to compete with Auburn and Alabama.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Tide1986

Suspended
Nov 22, 2008
Birmingham, AL
Was talking to a former Troy athletic department employee a few weeks back. He commented Troy and UAB should play week night home games instead of Saturday to not even try to compete with Auburn and Alabama.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Tuesday night? Since the other weeknights are already taken.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.