UAB attendance back to normal

bamafaninbham

All-SEC
Jul 19, 2004
Homewood
Eating some Mexican for lunch and they have the uab game on. It looks pretty empty in the stands. And Bama and the barn are playing ooc games today. Pathetic.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

uaintn

All-American
Aug 2, 2000
franklin, tennessee, usa
Ridiculous waste of money. Having a team is fine. Acting like they should be at the same level as Ohio State, USC, and, yes, Alabama, when they can't get 20,000 people to their games (even giving tickets to orphans) is stupid.

How many people will be there in November when it is 45 degrees and raining and they are playing opposite SEC marquee games?

Cruiser

All-American
Sep 24, 2015
40% of their students are Bama fans, 30% are Barn fans; the other 30% are futbol fans

RammerJammer14

Hall of Fame
Aug 18, 2007
UA
40% of their students are Bama fans, 30% are Barn fans; the other 30% are futbol fans
Yeah, don't know too many people who go to UAB who aren't using it as a specialty/grad school. The sports teams ain't the draw, except as a sports medicine platform.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

deliveryman35

Hall of Fame
Jul 26, 2003
Gadsden, AL
Still dont understand why this program was brought back and all the outrage from certain individual city officials and alumni over its shutdown, which was the most prudent move by the university imo. Other than that handful of people there simply is no demand for FBS football at UAB.

Probius

Hall of Fame
Mar 19, 2004
Birmingham, Alabama
Still dont understand why this program was brought back and all the outrage from certain individual city officials and alumni over its shutdown, which was the most prudent move by the university imo. Other than that handful of people there simply is no demand for FBS football at UAB.
I don't understand it either. I can't imagine who actually cares about the UAB football program.

AlistarWills

All-American
Jul 26, 2006
FWIW...I was told the visitor side had very few people in it but the home side was quite populated. 25k or so, probably a lot of employees guilted/bullied into going.

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
I can't imagine who actually cares about the UAB football program.
There have been a ton of threads on this board about this over time, so it seems that many people care. They just hate the program instead of supporting it.

I would like to know why UAB is so disliked.

teamplayer

Hall of Fame
Jul 31, 2001
cullman, al, usa
You don't know why? It's because any group that decides they want something and are willing to petition/organize/protest in our country these days thinks they should get what they want. Never mind that it was the correct financial decision that made sense. It only matters that every individual feels as if his/her voice is heard so he/she can get what he/she wants. It used to be comical; then it was sad; now it has gotten so out of hand that it angers most people who make decisions based upon common sense, intelligence, or logic.
Edit- I should add that I have no problem with UAB having football if they can support it, but I know they struggle to get fans to the stadium even when they give away tickets. If they have to give away tickets, I can't imagine how they are making any money.

Last edited:

Redwood Forrest

Hall of Fame
Sep 19, 2003
Boaz, AL USA
You don't know why? It's because any group that decides they want something and are willing to petition/organize/protest in our country these days thinks they should get what they want. Never mind that it was the correct financial decision that made sense. It only matters that every individual feels as if his/her voice is heard so he/she can get what he/she wants. It used to be comical; then it was sad; now it has gotten so out of hand that it angers most people who make decisions based upon common sense, intelligence, or logic.
Edit- I should add that I have no problem with UAB having football if they can support it, but I know they struggle to get fans to the stadium even when they give away tickets. If they have to give away tickets, I can't imagine how they are making any money.
You don't need to make money when you have taxpayer$.

KrAzY3

Hall of Fame
Jan 18, 2006
kraizy.art
It's the stadium. There is no way I would take my family to Legion Field. Too dangerous of an area.
No, it's not the stadium. It is the fact that they are not Alabama or Auburn. Fans in the state basically only show up to see those two play, bringing that program back was stupid politically correct nonsense. No, they don't "deserve" to have a team.

Because they are wasting millions of taxpayer dollars? They need not exist, we don't want 'em, but we still have to pay for them. That's absurd. Welfare programs are part of what's wrong with college football, and it's wasting money while holding back teams we actually want to see play.

CrimsonProf

Hall of Fame
Dec 30, 2006
Birmingham, Alabama
There Birmingham boosters who are convinced that Birmingham cannot continue to flourish without a local sports team, and UAB is the obvious answer to that problem. I think they're wrong, but that's part of the thinking.

I work in a municipal institution and have access to a free ticket each home game. Unlikely to use it but I can't help but wonder how many in the stands are using a free ticket and wouldn't pay real money to attend.

UAB is going to learn that an awful lot of their "support" came from Auburn and other SEC fans who used UAB as a cudgel to beat up on Alabama. I personally know several folks - fans of many other SEC schools - who took that very approach.

cuda.1973

Hall of Fame
Dec 6, 2009
Allen, Texas
UAB is not disliked. There is ZERO reason for it to field a FBS football team. None. Zero. Nada.

(Unless you are API, and think it will bleed talent from Bama. Which is so stupid only a barner would think that way.)

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
UAB is going to learn that an awful lot of their "support" came from Auburn and other SEC fans who used UAB as a cudgel to beat up on Alabama. I personally know several folks - fans of many other SEC schools - who took that very approach.
How is Alabama (the school) harmed by the UAB program?

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.