UAB attendance back to normal

deliveryman35

Hall of Fame
Jul 26, 2003
Gadsden, AL
Yup..Just out of curiosity..What stopped Birmingham from growing into a major sports city like those cities you listed..Was it the decline of the coal industry that built Birmingham or was it politics or there lack of..
Among other things, it was a failure to build an airport of the size and scope like Atlanta did back in the late 70s. ATL also had better leadership at that time and was fully committed to becoming an international destination city. Birmingham was not and sat on its hands while Atlanta was full steam ahead.

Last edited:

CullmanTide

Hall of Fame
Jan 7, 2008
Cullman, Al
In my lifetime, Birmingham has been overtaken by...

Atlanta
Nashville
Charlotte
Memphis
Jacksonville

yet these uab foolks try to posture as though uab football will change the local world

Truth is - if you scrape down to the essence - the most vocal and informed uab supporters are doing so to line their own coffer
Add Tampa to that list and in many ways Huntsville.

DzynKingRTR

TideFans Legend
Dec 17, 2003
Vinings, ga., usa
This part I get. I could argue that college should be free for everyone, but few would agree, and it could only happen if colleges stopped wasting money on things like this. I am just surprised at the level of vitriol from you about this. I couldn't care less about UAB (thought their med school has a great reputation).
If you don't care then why are you so argumentative?

KrAzY3

Hall of Fame
Jan 18, 2006
kraizy.art
I am just surprised at the level of vitriol from you about this.
You see something happen, that's supposed to have happened, that fixed a problem that never should have happened, and then you see it undone and blame misplaced. No, it's not Alabama football or their fans, it's not some evil doers. It is just a complete lack of interest in UAB football that lead to their being shut down, and will lead to their bleeding millions and millions into the foreseeable future.

Here's their attendance numbers the year before they announced the closure (which created some artificial interest):
http://fs.ncaa.org/Docs/stats/football_records/Attendance/2013.pdf
UAB 5 52,739 10,548
The NCAA mandated minimum, minimum mind you, is 15,000. They didn't even come close. That's 52,739 paid attendance for the entire season! Now let's forget that there were shenanigans going on with their tickets, and just remember that even now you can get season tickets for UAB football at $100. You remember all of Shrack's comments, you notice how he just skipped attendance and the stadium they say they need? There's no interest there, there's no money there, they lack NCAA mandated support for an FBS team, it never should have happened. How can anyone defend the importance of a program that their own fans didn't care about enough to show up?

cuda.1973

Hall of Fame
Dec 6, 2009
Allen, Texas
I couldn't care less about UAB (thought their med school has a great reputation).
Pretty sure all my doctor buddies went to schools that didn't have a football program.
Even if there was one, they would not have time to attend any games.

What does any of that have to due with the bottomless money pit, that is UAB football?

cuda.1973

Hall of Fame
Dec 6, 2009
Allen, Texas
You are basically suggesting that UAB deserves to have a football program and further an athletics program for an ultimate purpose that the entire system could absorb the impact to get it back on track to do what it was setup to do. In response using your premise, I would argue that Tuscaloosa should have its own medical school never mind that it already has one 60 miles down the road.
Let's take that idea on step further. Why not have a school of pharmacology and a veterinary medicine one, as well?

Then we can get rid of API!
:biggrin2:

JDCrimson

Hall of Fame
Feb 12, 2006
Let me repeat what we are talking about

The University of Alabama campus in Birmingham whose core mission is to provide post graduate studies and promote research period. The undergraduate program was added afterwards as a convenience to commuters and working students in the area during a time when inflation and commuting costs were high.

When you are giving away tickets at the level they do its not even worth printing the tickets just open the gates and let folks come in for free. Save people the embarrassment of saying no i dont want the tickets. The city is already donating the security etc for the games.

If they want a chance to succeed, they need to move their games to the Hoover Met and see if they can manufacture some demand in a better venue with limited seating who is looking for a tenant. After a few seasons under this model then revisit a city funded municipal stadium near Regions Park or the BJCC.

I firmly believe UAB could generate some local fan interest and offer an economic boost to the area if it were to drop to the FCS level and develop local rivalries with Samford, JSU, UNA, A&M, ASU and Troy and USA as play up games. People are constantly complaining about Alabama refusing to playing the local FCS/D-1 programs. UAB should be filling this role and let believe it would work. It would also allow the basketball to still be eligible for the NCAA tournament. Ironically if it did this it could join one of the FCS conferences who may put more teams in the NCAA tournament than CUSA which is currently a one bid conference.

Failing to consider or any of the above proves to me the football program is not setup to succeed but is a welfare program. And it also tells me a lot about CBC as a coach to want hang around a fledgling program with flimsy support. If I am looking across the landscape for upcoming coaching talent I'm skipping right over him because I want to hire the guy I have to work hard to keep.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Tapatalk

Last edited:

Shrack

Sep 20, 2017
You see something happen, that's supposed to have happened, that fixed a problem that never should have happened, and then you see it undone and blame misplaced. No, it's not Alabama football or their fans, it's not some evil doers. It is just a complete lack of interest in UAB football that lead to their being shut down, and will lead to their bleeding millions and millions into the foreseeable future.

Here's their attendance numbers the year before they announced the closure (which created some artificial interest):
UAB 5 52,739 10,548
The NCAA mandated minimum, minimum mind you, is 15,000. They didn't even come close. That's 52,739 paid attendance for the entire season! Now let's forget that there were shenanigans going on with their tickets, and just remember that even now you can get season tickets for UAB football at $100. You remember all of Shrack's comments, you notice how he just skipped attendance and the stadium they say they need? There's no interest there, there's no money there, they lack NCAA mandated support for an FBS team, it never should have happened. How can anyone defend the importance of a program that their own fans didn't care about enough to show up?
You're forcing me to reply :smile: so I'll leave you with this last one.

Yes, attendance was terrible and there was low to no interest near the end of Callaways years and then the 2 years under Garrick McGee. That's what happens when you lose for 10 years straight to bad coaching hires and stifle your program. Smothering the program with a pillow for over a decade watching it slowly die before it's really born. Attendance is not what even necessarily what is important in this context since its an argument of money. The only thing that matters is the money that comes in from that attendance. i.e. why people who argue Troy or whoever else has "paid their dues" when in reality their ticket sales revenue is worse than UAB's even though we were garbage for 10 years and they're coming off of years of bowl games and 9-3 records. That season before the Clark hire we also gave up 50 points a game.

Here was the attendance the year of the shutdown (the 2-3 games prior to any shutdown knowledge were higher attendance than the last 3 games average after knowledge of possible shutdown. Averaged 24,000 or so the first 3 games):

2014:

UAB (6-6): 21,841
Troy (3-9): 16,767
South Alabama (6-7): 17,445
JSU (10-2): 15,573
Alabama St (7-5): 12,697
Alabama A&M (4-8): 8,485

The kind of insanity that went on with the UAB football program under our shared board of trustees is ridiculous. They would never allow any such craziness to go on at Alabama regardless of money because they're fans of that school's football program. If you're going to try to argue otherwise then I know you're simply full of it. Even more importantly, this kind of thing really doesn't happen at other programs because those programs operate autonomously with their own board actively supporting their schools. They find ways to thrive and build support, instead of doing things like publicly threatening program closure and just in general not giving a crap because again, they have a board that actually wants to see it succeed. If I had to pick a reason why I thought UAB shouldn't have a football program it is because of that. Any unbiased college football fan can see the reality of that situation.

2004 - Single member of the Board of trustees publicly threaten to close the program. see: http://www.al.com/opinion/index.ssf/2014/11/give_uab_football_what_it_need.html

2006 -
Jimbo Fisher hire was nixed by the board of trustees in name of fiscal responsibility and we got freaking NEIL CALLAWAY for essentially the same amount of money. I don't care if Jimbo Fisher would've been there 1 or 2 years. 1 or 2 good years propels you to better years and potentially better hires and recruits: (See Western Kentucky.). Neil Callaway was a 5 year death sentence that basically killed the program. He was even given an extension for 3 and 4 win years, when even Watson Brown did better than that in a more difficult conference. see: https://www.cbssports.com/collegefootball/story/9891201 . And yes, Jimbo Fisher has been on record saying he was going to take the job.

2012 - 75 million on campus stadium wouldn't even be talked about on record, even though it was presented by our president who later resigned and Ray Watts was put into place. Already had 15 million lined up for it. You can argue til the cows come home "but that's only 15 million!", okay sure. Any other school would've been "alright, cool, we have a 15 million head start. Let's start fundraising for this over the next 5 to 10 years."

2014 - Board member Finis St. John shoots down UAB's plan to put down new turf on a practice field...fully paid for by UABs donors. see: http://www.al.com/sports/index.ssf/2015/01/ua_trustee_finis_st_john_kille.html

No annual debt service for the duration of the program...which is super rare.

IIRC Garrick McGee, while he was the head coach, stated he wasn't allowed to do any fundraising for the program (though I may remember that incorrectly). In years past you couldn't even earmark your athletic donation for the football program at UAB. Again, Garrick McGee even knew the shutdown was coming which is why he left to Louisville. https://www.underdogdynasty.com/uab...tball-shutdown-garrick-mcgee-twitter-dms-2013 . Kinda makes you think maybe Clark could've been hired under false pretenses, but that's water under the bridge.

So yes, attendance *was* terrible. But I can't imagine any kind of football program getting on its own two feet with that kind of "support" behind it from the top. It's one thing to not care for it, but it is another to technically be at the helm of it and actively hinder it as much as possible.

And you want to keep arguing that it's basically a business and should make money or pay for itself and how big of a waste of money it is. Well, who gets the blame for it struggling? The people who approve or disapprove the coaching, AD, and university president hires? Or do you blame the customers when a business owner puts out a bad product repeatedly? "They should go support their program even though they're going 2-10 and their board is hiring a head coach who's last notable thing he did was get a DUI instead of hiring Jimbo Fisher!" Great freaking plan. Alabama fans wouldn't put up with that garbage either. It's unrealistic.

Not that Alabama athletics isn't drowning in money, but do you honestly not think there aren't a few board members now and in the past that wouldn't transfer that 50 million in donations from UAB athletics to Alabama athletics in a heartbeat if they could? Ask yourself that question honestly. Of course there are, which in context of a university's board of trustees is pretty weird. It's a real conflict of interest in this system. It's not blaming the university of Alabama or it's fans, it simply is what it is.

I will say with the whole thing being killed and resurrected things have been much different. The football foundation and the overall transparency in the entire thing has changed quite dramatically so there is much more possibility for UAB football now...that includes there being much more possibility to bring money into the program. As I said: High season ticket sales for a G5 program, 50 million in donations, nice new practice facility, good head coach who knows what he is doing. Four things UAB has never had in football.

Finally, addressing your talk of a stadium which yes, I believe for UAB football to have any chance of actually becoming self sustainable has to happen. Back when the stadium was proposed was a great time due to the low pricing and there's really no reason major fundraising shouldn't have happened for it and had that put into motion at the time. Things have changed now and it would cost likely twice as much to build almost the same stadium. I think Birmingham building something is the most reasonable possibility UAB has for a stadium at this point. If that goes through in the next 5 years and depending on the climate of football in general, I think UAB FBS football survives. If everything goes belly up in the next 10 years for the say, bottom 80-90 schools in FBS (I think this would include 10 to 15 "power schools" as well) and UAB is still playing in Legion, I see it dropping to FCS or dropping it entirely or the most likely scenario of being apart of whatever FBS college football has reformatted into. That's my thoughts on the stadium situation. We'll see what happens in a decade. UAB needs to get back into alignment with most of the schools in the AAC, something that would've happened had they invested in football.

What always kills me is people act like UAB having a football stadium is just some insane notion when nearly every college football team plays in their own stadium. It's not some crazy thing. Their presidents or boards just fundraised for it and had it built. There was no argument of "We gotta average 40,000 fans a game before we ever get a stadium!!!!" It literally never works like that. High Schools play in their own stadium. A little over 50 schools in the country even break 40,000 average attendance at their football games. There are nearly 900 college football teams in the United States including every division and 129 FBS teams. So you even have 10-15 "power" schools not hitting that 40,000 attendance mark. And don't be surprised if South Alabama announces a stadium being built in the next 5 years. I'm sure there will be huge faux outrage over how it's a waste of taxpayer money (there won't be)

and to whoever is arguing that UAB is just some commuter school: 22% of UAB students live on campus now. 26% live on campus at Alabama. 20% of students live on campus at Auburn. see: usnews.com/best-colleges/

It's not the 70s or 80s anymore.

In some ways I agree with you. College sports are getting out of control money-wise and there is likely a peak and a crash coming soon. I wouldn't be opposed to finances being more considered across the board. I don't know what's going to happen with the football landscape, but I'm just going to support my school and see where the chips land.

So for real, no more replies because I'm tired of writing novel/TLDR posts and I doubt a majority of people here care or are going to change their minds on the topic anyways. That's all of my thoughts on the situation so good luck!

Edit: For what it's worth, if UAB could have possibly gotten into the A10 as basketball only I would've been cool with it. But that's simply not a possibility. Too far away and a ton of private, Catholic schools that likely wouldn't have allowed UAB in. MVC isn't a good option anymore either with Wichita St leaving to the AAC. There simply are no good reasonably-southern basketball focused conferences options anymore without a football team or really even at the FCS level.

Last edited:

81usaf92

TideFans Legend
Apr 26, 2008
South Alabama
If this is really all about money, where are your rants about every other program in the state, because they are all costing you, the taxpayer, money. Only Alabama and Auburn should be allowed to field a football program under your "rules".
I think to understand Krazy's point of view then you would have to see Krazy's ongoing crusade against those teams that don't meet attendance quotas... which to say the least I'm surprised he hasn't harped on so much here. But the point is that he has been against UAB, Troy, and USA for some time even to the point of getting really mad when USA beat MSU last year.

81usaf92

TideFans Legend
Apr 26, 2008
South Alabama

UAB 5 52,739 10,548
Since this is the NCAA's rule, why isn't it enforced? Is the NCAA a ceremonial power like the queen of England and the Power 5 the real power, or is an incompetent power. Point is the rule doesn't matter because there are plenty of FBS teams that don't meet the attendance quotas, but yet the NCAA does not , or maybe can not, enforce its own rule.

Last edited:

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
Pretty sure all my doctor buddies went to schools that didn't have a football program.
Even if there was one, they would not have time to attend any games.

What does any of that have to due with the bottomless money pit, that is UAB football?
Sorry to hear that about your friends. Around here, most doctors went to schools with a football program and managed to attend a few games. You might have heard of one of them (Ohio State). I only mentioned that because I had never heard of UAB other than its med school before the rants on this board about their football program. Their med school has a great national reputation.

cuda.1973

Hall of Fame
Dec 6, 2009
Allen, Texas
You seem to have completely missed the point.

Yes, at lot of "big" universities also have medical schools. After attending one of those (as pre-med students), they had to decide where to do their medical schooling. Somehow, a FBS football program (or lack thereof) didn't seem to be deciding factor. Which is why a lot went to UT-somethingorother, rather than UT-Austin.

The fact that you know about UAB's med school kinda sorta makes my point. It got that reputation before the convoluted idea of starting a football program materialized.

(One of them even went to Puke, I mean Duke. While being a rabid Duke BB fan, he disavows any association with the undergrad population.)

Sterling91

Dec 7, 2016
Alabama
This seems to be more against spending money on those city-folks in Birmingham than anything else. I may be wrong, but something tells me that an appropriately sized stadium near Railroad Park or the BJCC would have a tremendous impact. The attendance at the Barons games (AA) seems to support that notion. I agree with Big that I don't quite understand the pure disdain for the UAB football program. Like if we cut it out then billions of dollars would flood in and we could balance the state budget. I get not supporting it, but people seem to actively want to destroy it, which eludes me.

Displaced Bama Fan

Hall of Fame
Jun 5, 2000
Shiner, TX
You seem to have completely missed the point.

Yes, at lot of "big" universities also have medical schools. After attending one of those (as pre-med students), they had to decide where to do their medical schooling. Somehow, a FBS football program (or lack thereof) didn't seem to be deciding factor. Which is why a lot went to UT-somethingorother, rather than UT-Austin.

The fact that you know about UAB's med school kinda sorta makes my point. It got that reputation before the convoluted idea of starting a football program materialized.

(One of them even went to Puke, I mean Duke. While being a rabid Duke BB fan, he disavows any association with the undergrad population.)
Both UAB and USA's med schools were in existence long before their football programs were. I remember the days when UAB & USA battled it out for the Sunbelt in basketball and USA was the premier college baseball school in the state. Boys, get back to your core. ;)

Bodhisattva

Hall of Fame
Aug 22, 2001
Ponte Vedra Beach, Florida
Both UAB and USA's med schools were in existence long before their football programs were. I remember the days when UAB & USA battled it out for the Sunbelt in basketball and USA was the premier college baseball school in the state. Boys, get back to your core. ;)
That was a great rivalry back in the day. USA versus UAB in basketball. Also, USA versus South Florida in baseball. A lot of great games.

cuda.1973

Hall of Fame
Dec 6, 2009
Allen, Texas

Stuff like that makes too much sense. Seems all of these universities are trying to emulate the military's worst habit: mission creep. Things start small, and the next thing you know.................."Hey, let's have a FBS team!"

CoolBreeze

Hall of Fame
Sep 18, 2002
Hoover
Eating some Mexican for lunch and they have the uab game on. It looks pretty empty in the stands. And Bama and the barn are playing ooc games today. Pathetic.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk
Surely you knew this thread would hit 16 pages within a week after dropping this grenade :D

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.