Game Thread: OFFICIAL POSTGAME THREAD: Bama vs. Colorado St...

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville

The patterns emerging with Jalen Hurts passing plays

The discussion about what's changing with Alabama's offense continues three weeks into Brian Daboll's time in the headset.

The questions are well known at this point. Most centered on the use of second-year quarterback Jalen Hurts. As SEC play dawns, patterns are emerging as to how Daboll is using Hurts within a slightly retooled Crimson Tide offense.

His efficient night against Colorado State showed the balance within Hurts' game. A 167.65 passer rating ranks 22nd nationally while his 104.0-yard rushing average makes him the 28th best ball carrier in the nation.

TideEngineer08

TideFans Legend
Jun 9, 2009
Beautiful Cullman, AL
Did you really read what I wrote or do you simply not believe me? When he was found, in the wee hours, he was not coherent. During the game, he wasn't in any shape to call a taxi, much less call a critical game and he called in gibberish. How can you "closely manage" that? The fact is that the man has a huge problem, which Saban tried for years to "closely manage." When the "best offensive mind" is trying to maintain consciousness through the fog of the night before, then he's a liability on the sideline which Saban was forced to remove...
This boggles the mind. And it reveals two things. 1, Washington had no business being in the playoffs. A competent team would have beaten us in that game. 2, that was a gargantuan effort vs. Clemson in the title game. We should not have had a chance to win that game.

JustNeedMe81

Hall of Fame
Sep 30, 2011
Huntsville, Al
This boggles the mind. And it reveals two things. 1, Washington had no business being in the playoffs. A competent team would have beaten us in that game. 2, that was a gargantuan effort vs. Clemson in the title game. We should not have had a chance to win that game.
Did you mean that in Blue font? I think Penn state should've got in over Washington, but we beat Washington partly because of our defense. Clemson game, we should've won the game, but we didnt because we didn't control the clock well.

TideEngineer08

TideFans Legend
Jun 9, 2009
Beautiful Cullman, AL
Did you mean that in Blue font? I think Penn state should've got in over Washington, but we beat Washington partly because of our defense. Clemson game, we should've won the game, but we didnt because we didn't control the clock well.
No I am saying that with such a massive distraction from Kiffin, most teams would not have been able to win that first round game. Yes, it's all mostly due to the defense, I agree, but they overcame that massive distraction and made Washington look like an FCS offense. Then, vs. Clemson, Kiffin had been removed and thus even more distraction. Most teams would not have been able to stay in that game against such a good opponent. Yet... despite all the distractions and in game issues with the offense, we still almost won.

It speaks to the extremely good organization Coach Saban has built.

Tidewater

Hall of Fame
Mar 15, 2003
Hooterville, Vir.
With good OL play and play calling, I would argue there are already as many as 4 potentially on this team.
Good point.
I just love watching that drive. There was no single play that killed LSU in 2015. Just a slow, steady air going out of the ball. And LSU D (which was no slouch) just could not stop it. To hang onto the ball for 9:13 was just awe inspiring.

the old coach

BamaNation Citizen
Mar 21, 2010
Tony Brown

I just wanted to give a big shout out to Tony Brown. While watching the replay I just noticed that Tony made 3 outstanding blocks on Hootie's interception. What a tremendous effort!

Scottbama555

Mar 29, 2016
I appreciate the detailed discussion. To the untrained eye this looks like play action, where we fake to the RB and then throw. Bama used it to great success when coupled with power running. I haven't fully understood how the RPO differs. Is it just to say that in play action the RB is always a fake whereas in the RPO they may hand off or throw depending on certain post-snap reads? And does Jalen have the option to keep and run, hand off, or throw? Or just two of the three options on any given play?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

uafan4life

Hall of Fame
Mar 30, 2001
Florence, AL
I appreciate the detailed discussion. To the untrained eye this looks like play action, where we fake to the RB and then throw. Bama used it to great success when coupled with power running. I haven't fully understood how the RPO differs. Is it just to say that in play action the RB is always a fake whereas in the RPO they may hand off or throw depending on certain post-snap reads? And does Jalen have the option to keep and run, hand off, or throw? Or just two of the three options on any given play?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
It depends upon the particular play-call but you pretty much nailed it.

Traditional play-action is more about setting up the defense - often termed lulling them to sleep - and then taking advantage of it when the OC makes the correct decision to do so, before the play.

The modern run-pass-option is more about reacting to the defense and taking advantage of it when the QB makes the correct decision to do so, in the middle of the play.

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.