Game Thread: OFFICIAL POSTGAME THREAD: Bama vs. Colorado St...

Ole Man Dan

Hall of Fame
Apr 21, 2008
Gadsden, Al.
Pretty sure Coach Saban will administer a week's worth of 'ALPHA CHARLIE'S' to our Defense this coming week. (They have it coming)

I probably saw the game a little different than some did. I saw CSU score 23 points playing their 1s vs a combination of our back ups and some starters.

I saw us take our foot off the gas when we were comfortably ahead.
We substituted liberally, and got playing time and experience for a lot of back ups.
We got thru the game without major injuries.

For a change our FG kicking was good. Kickoffs were generally in the endzone.
We made no real effort to block a punt. CSU was vulnerable.

All in all a win, is a win, is a win... Unless you're the Barn then a 2 TD win over Mercer is acceptable... S.N.A.S.S.

Last edited:

CoastGhost

Suspended
Sep 5, 2009
North Carolina
IDK - seems to me the staff is trying out some theories and player combinations. 3-0 is a pretty good place and I can't help but be surprised at the gloom and doom crowd that thinks this team can't compete. We could have scored 40 more.

MobileBama84

Scout Team
Aug 30, 2016
Daphne, AL
Is it just me or in the last 2 games have we only played mostly 2 linebackers in the middle of the field instead of 3? Seems like our OLB play is always lining up on the edge of the line.

KrAzY3

Hall of Fame
Jan 18, 2006
kraizy.art
maybe they were the only ones taking the game seriously and saban wanted to send a message
I think he also got annoyed with Colorado St. He had the backups in for a long time, and CSU is doing things like going for 2 and trying on sided kicks. Between that and the defense not getting the job done, just wanted to slam the door shut, emphatically (and I am basing this partly on his post game comments).

Not a pretty win. Defense has depth issues so hopefully that can be cleaned up if they get a bit more healthy. Still not completely sure about play calling. Daboll hasn't won me over yet, but he does seem to like a run heavy offense and seems rather risk adverse. But, I get the feeling that Alabama is leaving points out there...

MDBSnare

All-SEC
Nov 5, 2007
Meh game, but I wouldn't worry too much. My only concerns are the inconsistency and lack of a killer instinct across the team. The talent in there. Need to push harder to get it to shine through.

Your d-line played poorly today. You gave up 3.6 yards per rush and are getting no QB pressure from the D-line. That means that the loss of your OLBs has killed your ability to affect the passer. Have to get that fixed. We knew that the D-line would be a work in progress, but this was a CSU team that was held to 3 points by Colorado.
MHO? Coaching....especially in the d secondary. Avg at best.... been deteriorating for a decade now....With our injuries and youth (coupled with poor coaching of 4 and 5 * players), we stinketh...

MobileBama84

Scout Team
Aug 30, 2016
Daphne, AL
Pretty sure Coach Saban will administer a week's worth of 'ALPHA CHARLIE'S' to our Defense this coming week. (They have it coming)

I probably saw the game a little different than some did. I saw CSU score 23 points playing their 1s vs a combination of our back ups and some starters.

I saw us take our foot off the gas when we were comfortably ahead.
We substituted liberally, and got playing time and experience for a lot of back ups.
We got thru the game without major injuries.

For a change our FG kicking was good. Kickoffs were generally in the endzone.
We made no real effort to block a punt. CSU was vulnerable.

All in all a win, is a win, is a win... Unless you're the Barn then a 2 TD win over Mercer is acceptable... S.N.A.S.S.
I think thats the big thing too about this game, like you mentioned, that we got some 3 deep players experience which will help down the schedule.

colbysullivan

Hall of Fame
Dec 12, 2007
Gulf Breeze, FL
I think he also got annoyed with Colorado St. He had the backups in for a long time, and CSU is doing things like going for 2 and trying on sided kicks. Between that and the defense not getting the job done, just wanted to slam the door shut, emphatically (and I am basing this partly on his post game comments).

Not a pretty win. Defense has depth issues so hopefully that can be cleaned up if they get a bit more healthy. Still not completely sure about play calling. Daboll hasn't won me over yet, but he does seem to like a run heavy offense and seems rather risk adverse. But, I get the feeling that Alabama is leaving points out there...
Saban wasn't the only one getting annoyed with CSU. We didn't schedule them to go for 2 and onside kick when the game is clearly not within reach...

I was furious.

MDBSnare

All-SEC
Nov 5, 2007
Misread it.....blue font would have helped me ;)
My bad - but not blue font either...a little disappointed in all of the coaching at this point. Of course - it's all relative to sometimes unrealistic expectations....#bamafootballproblems....
M

bigjue24

Suspended
Dec 2, 2009
Okeechobee, FL
Talk to me after next week. I want to see how the defense responds and how they look with hopefully Evans and Jennings in the line up on those 3rd down and medium to long plays. Remember this team totally shut down a top flight FSU team. They haven't forgotten how to play.

TideMan09

Hall of Fame
Jan 17, 2009
Anniston, Alabama
I thought it was a great win, because as its been pointed out, gives Coach Saban lots of coaching material this week in practice..My game ball goes to Andy Pappanasto because I sold him short after the A-Day Game & he had a great game kicking the ball....My apologies Andy..

BamaMoon

Hall of Fame
Apr 1, 2004
Boone, NC
Me too. The situation in which certain plays are called stumps me. The Passing route play design stumps me. The player rotation for certain plays stumps me.

I'd love to be able to talk X's and O's with Daboll.......I don't mean that to be super snarky but I just want to hear/see him explain what he's doing and why? Maybe I'd go...'Oh wow I didn't even think about things from that perspective'.....or maybe I'd still be scratching my head and looking at him perplexed.

Kiffin did some odd things too but eventually you could see 'OH he was setting THAT play up!'.

I can't tell what the heck Daboll is trying to do. The main positive thing I can say is I DO like the use of our RB's in the passing game. But I'd like to see Foster and Jeudy more involved.

If you could take 90's Spurrier and give him Jalen and our WR's to call plays for we'd be averaging 45-50 PPG right now with ridiculous passing stats.
I'd like to sit there with you! Someone in the game thread speculated we are holding some plays back for conference play, but I don't buy it.

colbysullivan

Hall of Fame
Dec 12, 2007
Gulf Breeze, FL

Daboll is still coaching like he's in the NFL. Sometimes it seems like he's planning on having to kick a field goal as time expires like how 50% of all NFL games end. He needs to get that out of his head right now and just let Hurts distribute the ball. I don't care who we're playing, no one can cover Ridley, Jeudy, Foster, Harris, Bo, and Jalen all at the same time...

CrimsonForce

Hall of Fame
Dec 20, 2012
If we lose a game this year the post game thread will be epic considering how we react after a solid win..

Last edited:

teamplayer

Hall of Fame
Jul 31, 2001
cullman, al, usa
Saban wasn't the only one getting annoyed with CSU. We didn't schedule them to go for 2 and onside kick when the game is clearly not within reach...

I was furious.
I was impressed that they were still trying to win the game, which is what they are supposed to do. If they had made the two point conversion, they would have been within 16, which is two scores. Stranger things have happened, so I don't blame them at all. If we want teams to act like the game is over, we need to put it out of reach. In other words, make their arse quit. That's how I see it, at least.

JustNeedMe81

Hall of Fame
Sep 30, 2011
Huntsville, Al
Daboll is still coaching like he's in the NFL. Sometimes it seems like he's planning on having to kick a field goal as time expires like how 50% of all NFL games end. He needs to get that out of his head right now and just let Hurts distribute the ball. I don't care who we're playing, no one can cover Ridley, Jeudy, Foster, Harris, Bo, and Jalen all at the same time...
This post is gold. LOL! Let me get this right.. Saban runs a team like he's in NFL. Pruitt coaches like he's in NFL.. Players plays like they're in NFL... but you're complaining about Daboll coaching like he's in NFL...

MDBSnare

All-SEC
Nov 5, 2007
Talk to me after next week. I want to see how the defense responds and how they look with hopefully Evans and Jennings in the line up on those 3rd down and medium to long plays. Remember this team totally shut down a top flight FSU team. They haven't forgotten how to play.
Hoping your right! Dang we looked really bad at times tonight. I still think our db play is gonna cost us a couple of games....I mean, this was CSU! What will a QB like ole sis has do to them? hate the dadgum injuries - hate it!! LBs help with pressure on our very averagely coached dbs...sorry, but that's the way I see it. Been a weakness for years now....IMO, has cot us at least 2 more NCs....but, I don't get paid the big bucks to coach, so...there's that! :cool2:
H

colbysullivan

Hall of Fame
Dec 12, 2007
Gulf Breeze, FL
I was impressed that they were still trying to win the game, which is what they are supposed to do. If they had made the two point conversion, they would have been within 16, which is two scores. Stranger things have happened, so I don't blame them at all. If we want teams to act like the game is over, we need to put it out of reach. In other words, make their arse quit. That's how I see it, at least.
Going for 2 was fine but the onside kick irked me, especially after they failed the 2 point conversion.

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.