Game Thread: OFFICIAL POSTGAME THREAD: Bama vs. Colorado St...

TideMom2Boys

Hall of Fame
Nov 17, 2010
Alabama
We are finally home after going to the game.

We had a great time, except when we got lost on the way to my car after the game :rolleyes:. It was just my oldest son and myself, so it was nice to have a Mother/Son day in Tuscaloosa.

BamaInBham

All-American
Feb 14, 2007
We have a less than average defense as of tonight. Who again coaches the dbs? I think Saban needs to fire that guy :cool2: Disappointing play for the better part of 10 years....the reason we don't have at least 2 more NCs....
In case anyone hasn't noticed, Jalen Hurts is currently fourth in the country in total QBR.
Even more amazing when you consider that he has had to overcome such bad coaching. Just like, according to some, the num 1 rated D the last 10 years has had to overcome the Bama doofuses on the sideline.

nickcut

BamaNation Citizen
Oct 3, 2015
I know one thing, I miss having Reuben Foster on the field on those draw-screen plays. He would smell those out and hit the RB like a heat-seeking missile. Tonight it was an automatic 20 yard gain for CSU.

Tidewater

Hall of Fame
Mar 15, 2003
Hooterville, Vir.
Yeah, after they missed the two point conversion, it didn't seem to make as much sense, but stranger things have happened. If we had pounded out first downs and run out the clock, we wouldn't have had to worry about it.
Maybe Brian Daboll should go back and watch Bama-SoCar 2009 (Bama, up 13-6, got the ball on their 31 with 7:55 left to pay and Bama fed Mark Ingram for 3:01 minutes, 69 yards and a TD) or Bama-LSU 2015 (got the ball back on the 3 yard line with 9:13 left in the game up 30-14 and LSU never got the ball again).
That's how you finish.

M2J

All-American
Jan 28, 2007
Yeah, I think that ball control is going to be the key to the season. It was the key to the loss to Clemson IMO. I'd say the development of a dominant run game (hopefully with the Running backs), that can become a clock killing run game should be what we're looking for from the offense this year, as I do like where Hurts has progressed as a passer in terms of accuracy and timing downfield (There were a couple of plays where I felt Foster and Ridley could've found the ball faster and went into the air to come down with them)...when a big score has been needed in order to keep the game at bay or in range, I think the offenses has generally been able to answer. A dominant run the ball down your throat drive or two, has been MIA.

Defensively, I've been impressed overall with the talent in the secondary. I think there's some improvements that can be made, but still. I have faith that the front 7 will turn things around as players return, and get more experience...even players like Hand and Davis. My personal plan is to gauge the defense by the A&M game, and to hopefully be able to watch improvement in wins until then. There were ups and downs vs CSU, but when it started to get really annoying there were some backups in and out of the game (understandably) and some of the aggressiveness was gone (not okay, but...) in what was a 41-10 game.

Again personally, I can't complain too much this early on about what we've seen. They were dealt a bad hand with some of the early injuries. Hopefully the youngsters progress, and we stay healthier. Jalen Hurts looks better than ever, and plenty of offensive weapons on the field. The last 2 weeks to be honest when Hurts has been in, the offense has scored quite consistently and moved the ball well in a number of ways (which I like). I think a lot of the QB runs at peculiar times has been more about setting the tone with the team about how they intend to play with this new offensive concept, and running the QB is to say the least a part of their gameplans. A lot of drives have been sustained due to those runs, as another reasons for the QB runs I think is due to pass protection issues.

Padreruf

Hall of Fame
Feb 12, 2001
Charleston, South Carolina
The sky is not falling...but the sun is not totally shining either. We need a bell cow OL to start blowing people off the line and getting others to follow...we're close and we saw some of that in the 3rd quarter on the goal line. We also need a bell cow on D -- missing that alpha personality like Reuben Foster from last year. I think that will be Evans when he returns...

Other than those two...we are in step for a SEC championship run. Are we perfect? No -- no college team is. Are we improving? Yes.

And forget any criticism of J Hurts -- he was superb last night. He makes the game look so easy running and throwing that we forget he is just a sophomore.

Sorry but I needed to vent and no, I didn't read 12 pages of posts from last night. :biggrin:

Bamabuzzard

FB Moderator
Staff member
Aug 15, 2004
Where ever there's BBQ, Bourbon & Football
I think you could say that all offenses on CNS teams are designed by committee, within guidelines set by CNS, including those installed by CLF. Daboll represents a nice, safe step back from some of the excesses which we had reached under Kiffen. His hiring didn't surprise me at all. He represents an offense with which Saban is far more comfortable. It still seems to me that they aren't trusting JH with throws he seems perfectly capable of making, but they see much more of him in practice that we ever can, so we have to assume they know the reasons. On the defense, we just have to see if the really green players we've brought up can come up to speed in time. If they can't, we may have to settle for something short of what we all expect and want. Sometimes, it seems to me that the people who moan the loudest about our defense simply haven't kept up with what we started out with and what we've lost...
This. I'm not sure if you heard it, it was in the second half of the game, but the on the field analyst ESPN uses for their games said "Right now, this offense doesn't have any intermediate passing." He also said that Hurts "has yet to go beyond his primary read in his progression to a secondary or third receiver. He's used check downs, but check downs are the last option. He's going from primary read to the check down. Never looking at the reads in between."

He said this at some point in the second half. I believe (as you say) the coaches know a lot more about what Hurts can and can't do and are advising him accordingly. Ultimately, we have to put him in position to do what he's comfortable with and what he does best. If he ultimately cannot consistently go through a progression then it is what it is. We have to find other ways to move the ball.

teamplayer

Hall of Fame
Jul 31, 2001
cullman, al, usa
Maybe Brian Daboll should go back and watch Bama-SoCar 2009 (Bama, up 13-6, got the ball on their 31 with 7:55 left to pay and Bama fed Mark Ingram for 3:01 minutes, 69 yards and a TD) or Bama-LSU 2015 (got the ball back on the 3 yard line with 9:13 left in the game up 30-14 and LSU never got the ball again).
That's how you finish.
Yes, those are good examples of finishing a game. Those were also very intense games where the outcomes were still in doubt. I never felt truly threatened by CSU, and I doubt the players did either. I thought we looked pretty good on both sides of the ball at times. We just got lackadaisical at times while CSU showed a little pluck and grit to keep it respectable. I think some are making a little too much out of this game when it is a pretty typical performance against an overmatched team. It looks like we will have a solid SEC challenge next week against Vandy, and I expect us to come out ready to play. I am hoping that we get back to making their arse quit starting this week. We do need to remember how much talent and experience we lost from last year's team, though. We still have a ton of talent, but our guys still need to learn to finish teams off. I'm guessing we will get there.
Edit- I just saw that we have now won 67 straight games against unranked teams. That is amazing. It is difficult to maintain a high level of intensity each and every week, especially for guys aged 18-23. They are worrying about essays, tests, girlfriends, and family situations, especially the guys from Texas and Florida right now.

Last edited:

Tidewater

Hall of Fame
Mar 15, 2003
Hooterville, Vir.
Yes, those are good examples of finishing a game. Those were also very intense games where the outcomes were still in doubt. I never felt truly threatened by CSU, and I doubt the players did either. I thought we looked pretty good on both sides of the ball at times. We just got lackadaisical at times while CSU showed a little pluck and grit to keep it respectable. I think some are making a little too much out of this game when it is a pretty typical performance against an overmatched team. It looks like we will have a solid SEC challenge next week against Vandy, and I expect us to come out ready to play. I am hoping that we get back to making their arse quit starting this week. We do need to remember how much talent and experience we lost from last year's team, though. We still have a ton of talent, but our guys still need to learn to finish teams off. I'm guessing we will get there.
Of course, I went back and looked at what I had typed and both Ingram in '09 and Henry in '15, so maybe Daboll's problem is that he needs to go out and recruit him a Heisman Trophy winner.
Simple.

CraigD

All-American
Aug 8, 2006
Columbus, GA
Someone made a point about the receiver route trees not being "friendly" to the passing game -- the routes are either very short or very long - nothing intermediate. This may be a better analysis of what I am about to post that I have noticed all season: Either our receivers are not getting open or Jalen just doesn't see them. I tend to suspect it's the latter. I know there was a point in the Colorado State game where there were two pass plays in a row called, and Jalen threw the ball away on one and scrambled on the next. He had adequate time (which I acknowledge hasn't always been the case this season), so what I am to conclude is that Ridley, Foster, Jeudy, and company can't get open -- against Colorado State (!), or Jalen just isn't good at finding open receivers. I really can't believe it's that our receivers aren't getting open (unless the poster I alluded at the beginning is spot on with his comments about bad route trees).

So I conclude that JH has work to do to improve in finding open receivers. If that is the case (and I think it is), then Jalen's efficiency numbers are a bit skewed. They would tell the story only of passes attempted. Where I believe our passing game is suffering the most right now is in passes not attempted. They don't show up in any statistics I am aware of, but I believe we have receivers open on many plays where no pass is ultimately attempted. This is the one area in which I hope to see Jalen improve the most.

Either that or we need a new WR coach.

Last edited:

JaxTider

Suspended
Jan 10, 2017
So I conclude that JH has work to do to improve in finding open receivers. If that is the case (and I think it is), then Jalen's efficiency numbers are a bit skewed. They would tell the story only of passes attempted. Where I believe our passing game is suffering the most right now is in passes not attempted. They don't show up in any statistics I am aware of, but I believe we have receivers open on many plays where no pass is ultimately attempted. This is the one area in which I hope to see Jalen improve the most..
This is true. And this is why Jalen only actually throws the ball 1/3 to 1/4 of the times he drops back to throw.

As the commentators said last night ( and I thought they actually provided good insight into this issue), he's not really going through a progression. He's looking for his primary, and then running. But, as they said, he's such s good runner, the coached are not pushing the progression because the scramble is or best second option at this point... given his limitations in scanning the field.

This is a two edged sword. It usually. works well. But in cases where great defenses can spy and contain Jalen, we're in for a long night.

Jalen really is improving. But this is the issue that keeps the coaches up all night.

Last edited:

bamacon

Hall of Fame
Apr 11, 2008
College Football's Mecca, Tuscaloosa
To the guys complaining about the defense...
The LBs are the MOST IMPORTANT cog in Saban's defense. We've had half of them out and ALL the Outside LBs that were starters were OUT!
The DL who were to be our pass rush are 3 games deep in experience. There will be a learning curve. Get over yourself for Pete's sake and learn something about football before posting!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Tidewater

Hall of Fame
Mar 15, 2003
Hooterville, Vir.
To the guys complaining about the defense...
The LBs are the MOST IMPORTANT cog in Saban's defense. We've had half of them out and ALL the Outside LBs that were starters were OUT!
The DL who were to be our pass rush are 3 games deep in experience. There will be a learning curve. Get over yourself for Pete's sake and learn something about football before posting!
I'm not panicking. I'm happy younger guys got some meaningful playing time without costing Bama a win.
I bet the inner soundtrack in Mack Wilson's head was "Oh, crap. I was supposed to be covering him!" Mack can lay the wood as we saw last year, and games like this help him understand what "play your man! Do your job!" means. Bama will be better for this experience.

Tideflyer

Hall of Fame
Dec 14, 2011
Savannah, GA
IDK - seems to me the staff is trying out some theories and player combinations. 3-0 is a pretty good place and I can't help but be surprised at the gloom and doom crowd that thinks this team can't compete. We could have scored 40 more.
I was beginning to wonder if we won ! Of course we can and should improve. We do need to get Jennings and Evans back.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.