News Article: Herbie Drops Bama to #3

PA Tide Fan

All-American
Dec 11, 2014
Lancaster, PA
Not sure where anyone should be ranked right now but the 2 teams that I'd be most fearful of playing would be Oklahoma and Penn State. They both have senior QB's who can really throw. Unless we develop a better pass rush both of those guys could cause us a lot of problems.

64met

All-American
Oct 12, 2007
IDK, maybe it's just me but could care less where the talking heads rank us right now. Just be in playoffs at year end.

RTR!

Bama1985

1st Team
Jan 18, 2006
Calhoun County
Herbie probably has Bama too high. Our pass rush and defensive line play is poor. I would not like Bama's chances today against Clemson, Oklahoma or Oklahoma St. Good thing is we have Coach Saban and he knows how to get improvement.

edwd58

All-American
Aug 2, 2006
No issues with Herbie, but in full disclosure, he's not in my top 5 and he doesn't care about that - so we're essentially even.

Tidewater

Hall of Fame
Mar 15, 2003
Hooterville, Vir.
No issues with Herbie, but in full disclosure, he's not in my top 5 and he doesn't care about that - so we're essentially even.
At this stage, I wouldn't argue with Herbie. For those who put Bama outside the top 5 right now I wouldn't argue. (Clempson, Okie, Okie Lt, maybe Penn State or Meeshigan?)
The good news is that Alabama will get a chance to improve and prove where they should be by playing Ole Miss, Tennessee, Miss State, LSU, the Barn, the SEC East champ. Run that gauntlet undefeated and I'd put them in the top four and that's all that will matter at that point.

TideEngineer08

TideFans Legend
Jun 9, 2009
Beautiful Cullman, AL
I do not like the idea that the FSU win is now retroactively discounted. Yes, they lost their QB, but Alabama faced and beat what many considered the #2 team going into that game. Just because Alabama took all the wind out of their sails is no reason to diminish the value of that win.
This has been happening for the entire Nick Saban era.

Just Win

All-SEC
Dec 22, 2003
Alabaster, AL, USA
Rankings before teams have played at least 2/3 of the season are meaningless. No one really knows how much gas each team has in it's tank right now. At Alabama, we are used to such over the top defense, that when it doesn't measure up to what we're used to, we sometimes seem to feel like we're somewhat weaker. Remember, we're playing defense right now with a lot of young players, and they are holding their own while gaining valuable experience. We'll be just fine. And last time i checked, we're undefeated, and have already played against the best defense (FSU) we'll see all year in the regular season.

Alasippi

Suspended
Aug 31, 2007
Ocean Springs, MS
If I were a voter this week I'd vote us 4.
(1) Clemson
(2) Oklahoma
(3) Oklahoma State
(4) Bama

That being said, it's early and I know this--Coach Saban tends to "set the table" by holding back our best players until it counts.
Example--OJ Howard in his last two years.
He also has one major primary receiver every single year which is somewhat hard to understand with the overall wide receiver talent we have.
The main concern I have with this team remains two things. Lack of a pass rush and pass coverage technique.
I know coverage technique has been a much discussed issue, but here it is. A six foot defensive back can't defend a pass against a six foot five wide receiver if the receiver knows where the ball is and the DB doesn't.
The linebacker situation makes it even tougher because that was where our primary pass rush was supposed to come from.
Personally I think Rashaad Evans is our best pass rusher We need him back in a hurry.
I know Coach S. is the best in the business and he'll get it figured out, but right now, as we stand "this week", I think Oklahoma or Oklahoma State would bury our defense, and for us to have a chance to win we'd have to score 55 points......which we could do, if we'd start equally distributing the ball to the awesome offensive weapons that we have.
Hope this makes sense.
RTR!
sip

KrAzY3

Hall of Fame
Jan 18, 2006
kraizy.art
I think these guys go week by week these days instead of holding to the old axiom that teams don't slip any spots as long as they win.
The problem is that if you allow too much subjectivity, you add unwarranted volatility and too much of a "what have you done for me lately" type mentality. This among other things diminishes the value of a good resume.

Let me give you an example. Sagarin is a fairly objective measure, considering it's basically number crunching. He has Alabama #1, but #1 in everything, his predictor, golden mean, recent... He's not getting all excited or worked up about last week, it's just numbers and they tell us more than hysterical reactions tend to. He judges the resumes.

To analyze that a bit further, he has Oklahoma's SoS as 96. They played one great team and then two absolute nothings. Clemson has a higher SoS than Alabama, at 12 vs 39, but I don't, and I guess Sagarin's formulas don't buy that beating two lesser teams is better than beating one great team.

I kind of get Clemson, I do, but the real joke is ranking Oklahoma higher than Alabama. People do realize Alabama beat FSU by more points, right? They do understand Oklahoma hasn't played anyone else worth a darn, right? But yeah, what ever, Alabama beat FSU by 17 while Oklahoma beat Ohio St by 15, Alabama started out ranked higher, did better last year, kept their coach, and has played a tougher schedule. But yeah, Oklahoma deserved to be ranked higher because they looked better against inferior competition...

BamaInBham

All-American
Feb 14, 2007
Clemson is clearly the best team in the nation right now. They should be #1.
They may be the best, but I don't know about "clearly". Louisville almost lost to an improved Purdue team and Mercer was within one score of AU at AU, a team that Clemson beat by 7 at home. So, their 2 "big" wins don't really seem so big. Still, they may be the best, but I don't think it is so clear.

GrayTide

Hall of Fame
Nov 15, 2005
Greenbow, Alabama
Herbstriet's opinion is his and is usually reliable. My opinion is based on what I have seen through 3 games. We are a top 5 team right now, but still a lot of football to be played and we could go either up or down.

CoolBreeze

Hall of Fame
Sep 18, 2002
Hoover
Who cares really? I mean, line it up with clempson tomorrow and we win. Bring it on Oklahoma, state, USC - whoever. We are the best and will continue to be the best until someone beats us this year and that AIN'T GONNA HAPPEN Francis.

skrayper77

All-American
Sep 4, 2003
If we are #1 and do not lose or even get close to losing, how do we drop? Sounds like herbie has some bama envy LOL
To be fair, we didn't win the title last year. Clemson ended last year #1, is undefeated and has looked solid. They should be ranked #1.

teamplayer

Hall of Fame
Jul 31, 2001
cullman, al, usa
The problem is that if you allow too much subjectivity, you add unwarranted volatility and too much of a "what have you done for me lately" type mentality. This among other things diminishes the value of a good resume.

Let me give you an example. Sagarin is a fairly objective measure, considering it's basically number crunching. He has Alabama #1, but #1 in everything, his predictor, golden mean, recent... He's not getting all excited or worked up about last week, it's just numbers and they tell us more than hysterical reactions tend to. He judges the resumes.

To analyze that a bit further, he has Oklahoma's SoS as 96. They played one great team and then two absolute nothings. Clemson has a higher SoS than Alabama, at 12 vs 39, but I don't, and I guess Sagarin's formulas don't buy that beating two lesser teams is better than beating one great team.

I kind of get Clemson, I do, but the real joke is ranking Oklahoma higher than Alabama. People do realize Alabama beat FSU by more points, right? They do understand Oklahoma hasn't played anyone else worth a darn, right? But yeah, what ever, Alabama beat FSU by 17 while Oklahoma beat Ohio St by 15, Alabama started out ranked higher, did better last year, kept their coach, and has played a tougher schedule. But yeah, Oklahoma deserved to be ranked higher because they looked better against inferior competition...
I agree with you. I was just saying that is how many people do their polls these days. It is exactly a what have you done for me lately kind of situation. I do think there should be some fluidity to the polls, but I don't think people should just look to change it up every week.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.