My thoughts on this team after 3 games

Cruiser

All-American
Sep 24, 2015
Does anybody remember our game vs MS State last year? 51-3 and Fitzgerld had a QB rating of 9.3? not 93; 9 point 3.

BamaJama17

Hall of Fame
Sep 17, 2006
Hoover, AL
My thoughts are just win. Once Evans and Jennings are back, the D will get a boost. Alabama still put up 40 points against Fresno and Colorado State. Beat Vandy W/O and key injuries and I'll feel better about the Ole Siss game.

81usaf92

TideFans Legend
Apr 26, 2008
South Alabama
Both Mississippi school QBs are very good and could give our D trouble. From a schedule perspective, they are the only two real threats I see on the schedule right now, due in great part to how weak the rest of the division and conference appear to be. I still think we win at least 10 games but I think we may win ugly more than a few times and I agree with Gray Tide's assessment of where we stand right now in relation to the other highly ranked teams outside of the SEC. We probably should be ranked somewhere between 3rd-5th nationally.
Yeah the great Shane Patterson hung a whopping 16 points on the mighty Cal bears. We should be very very afraid. *** blue font***

dadleyblane5

All-SEC
Apr 19, 2011
DeFuniak Springs Fl.
This was a team we were supposed to beat handily. However, Our boys knew we were supposed to beat them handily. CSU played with all they had. Our boys played lackluster and it showed. I'm sure CNS WILL address this to them this week at practice. End of story.. JMO

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
Does anybody remember our game vs MS State last year? 51-3 and Fitzgerld had a QB rating of 9.3? not 93; 9 point 3.
The biggest difference at this point in the season - the defenses. Alabama had one of the best defenses every fielded in college football, and MSU one of the worst. So far in 2017 Alabama's defense is not nearly as capable and MSU's defense looks much improved.

I am still not worried about the game. You don't play MSU until November, by which time your defense will be fully mature and ready. And by then we will know if their defense is really this improved, or if they just look that way because of the play of their opponents.

If you played MSU this week, I would be worried. You don't.

dvldog

Hall of Fame
Sep 20, 2005
Virginia
This team is maybe the most vulnerable CNS has fielded since year 2. The defensive backfield is solid to more than solid. Getting the LBs hurt has a big impact since the D line may be off from the last couple of years. This wouldn't be an issue if the O can pick it up and be capable of sustaining drives and quick strike if needed. Can they? Sure, we'll see. If the D matures a little and the OLine jells we can still go deep and perhaps win nr 17. We have great players and great coaching but so do several other teams. Should be fun (and nerve racking) to watch.

Saban4Ever

All-American
Sep 27, 2016
Cobb County GA
I do remember that game and that Jalen was able to practice his throwing, pretty much at will. I remember Fitzgerald had trouble, but he is much improved this year as he should be. Their D looks better also. I think since we have to go there to play and listen to the cow bells may give M State a slight advantage, at least for a little while. I am sure Saban practices with cow bell noise that week, but it's not the same as the real thing. Hopefully our 2 linebackers who are supposed to return will be full speed by then. We seem to get dinged up after LSU each year anyway, so playing M State the week after LSU is always a challenge.

81usaf92

TideFans Legend
Apr 26, 2008
South Alabama
Shane Patterson did not play in that game. He's a LB in high school.:smile:
Yeah spell check is making Shane out of Shae :). But I honestly don't see why many are thinking someone who threw 3 picks and only scored 16 points against Cal is something to really worry about. I think the qb we are playing this week is actually better.

81usaf92

TideFans Legend
Apr 26, 2008
South Alabama
Also consider who we had at defensive line and linebacker last year. Fitzgerald threw some very pretty balls in that game when he wasn't running for his life. not saying they will beat us but out of all the games we have left I would say that it, Vandy, and Auburn are the scariest as of right now.

RollTide_HTTR

Hall of Fame
Feb 22, 2017
The biggest difference at this point in the season - the defenses. Alabama had one of the best defenses every fielded in college football, and MSU one of the worst. So far in 2017 Alabama's defense is not nearly as capable and MSU's defense looks much improved.

I am still not worried about the game. You don't play MSU until November, by which time your defense will be fully mature and ready. And by then we will know if their defense is really this improved, or if they just look that way because of the play of their opponents.

If you played MSU this week, I would be worried. You don't.
Agreed with this. Hopefully by the time we play MSU the defense will be back up to standard. I think we underrate how big getting Evans back will be. He may not be Foster yet but he has the talent to be that kind of player plus a better pass rusher. His talent + leadership should help right the ship on D.

This team worries me a little because losing Lewis and Miller is going to be felt unless really young guys step up. But, fortunately the SEC seems pretty weak this year and I don't see a serious threat outside of maybe State.

crimsonaudio

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 9, 2002
crimsonaudio.net
It amazes me that people forget the bias every fan has - we know our players, their strengths, weaknesses, and have our expectations. We also know we have a coach that doesn't care about winning by 50 but would rather experiment and allow younger players to develop via playing time. We analyze plays that work, plays that don't, etc.

Conversely, none of us know much about the other teams out there that look impressive right now - we don't know the teams they've played well, yet, either. Yet so many are quick to act like we have glaring weaknesses another teams do not...

I know some of you guys expect Bama to look like and NFL team week in and out, but it's never been that way and never will be. Bama will improve each week (as they have through the first three weeks). And the teams that look immortal right now will almost certainly all fall to earth before the season is over.

How quickly people forget, we do this every single year. Every. Year.

Calm down and enjoy it.

Last edited:

JustNeedMe81

Hall of Fame
Sep 30, 2011
Huntsville, Al
It amazes me that people forget the bias every fan has - we know our players, their strengths, weaknesses, and have our expectations. We also know we have a coach that doesn't care about winning by 50 but would rather experiment and allow younger players to develop via playing time. We analyze plays that work, plays that don't, etc.

Conversely, none of us know much about the other teams out there that look impressive right now - we don't know the teams they've played well, yet, either. Yet so many are quick to act like we have glaring weaknesses another teams do not...

I know some of you guys expect Bama to look like and NFL team week in and out, but it's never been that way and never will be. Mama will improve each week (as they have through the first three weeks). And the teams that look immortal right now will almost certainly all fall to earth before the season is over.

Calm down and enjoy it.
Best post of the week! I 100 percent agree with this.

The Ols

Hall of Fame
Jul 8, 2012
Cumming,Ga.
Love it! Who's Mama? :)

I know some of you guys expect Bama to look like and NFL team week in and out, but it's never been that way and never will be. Mama will improve each week (as they have through the first three weeks). And the teams that look immortal right now will almost certainly all fall to earth before the season is over.

Calm down and enjoy it.

Rama Jama

All-American
Jan 4, 2011
Tuscaloosa
I do not think we are not playing like the number 1 team right now, but does that mean we will lose 2 or 3 games? I THINK NOT. Look at the schedule and tell me where there is a team in the SEC that is better. I think we can get out of the season unblemished if we can stay reasonable healthy. The issues we had on defense have more to do with injuries which caused us to play inexperienced kids, rather than seasoned veterans.

92tide

TideFans Legend
May 9, 2000
East Point, Ga, USA
I do not think we are not playing like the number 1 team right now, but does that mean we will lose 2 or 3 games? I THINK NOT. Look at the schedule and tell me where there is a team in the SEC that is better. I think we can get out of the season unblemished if we can stay reasonable healthy. The issues we had on defense have more to do with injuries which caused us to play inexperienced kids, rather than seasoned veterans.
hell, to hear the eeyore brigade tell it, we are bottom dwellers in the sec this year.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.