My thoughts on this team after 3 games

Rick2017

Jan 22, 2017
I am surely not an expert or coach, but I do travel to every game. I just do not see this team, at this juncture, as a championship team. We have four defensive lineman that played last year, playing on this team, and still the defense looks unsettled and out of sinq. The tackling is sloppy, and the CSU backs would run 3-4 yards after they were initially hit. We barely had the ball in the 4th qtr, and were ineffective when we did, plus we got very little pressure on the QB. Offensively, we moved the ball, and scored some points, thanks to Jalen, without him, we would not be nearly as productive on the offensive side of the game.

CincinnatiAlum

2nd Team
Aug 9, 2004
I can recall other years like this .. and this was without losing our top 5 LB's. I think you see a different team when we have Evans and Jennings back .. along with some coming to Jesus meetings (per Hamilton) by team members and coaches!

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
Teams evolve over the course of seasons. Fortunately for Alabama, Saban coached teams tend to get better and better as the season progresses. I expect this team to do likewise. But my primary concern is also with the play of your d-line. Let's see how they respond to their second poor showing in a row.

JustNeedMe81

Hall of Fame
Sep 30, 2011
Huntsville, Al
This is the third game of the season. We lost 5 LBs. We're rotating players in and out to give them some experience. This was expected. I expect them to tighten up the ship a little this weekend. Its not the play of D-line we need to complain about. I noticed lot of whiff tackles by Secondary, LBs, and DL as a whole. We didn't just execute like we're supposed to. Players were in wrong spot, or blew a play. Little things that caused the plays to break open. They will address that.

Tideflyer

Hall of Fame
Dec 14, 2011
Savannah, GA
I am surely not an expert or coach, but I do travel to every game. I just do not see this team, at this juncture, as a championship team. We have four defensive lineman that played last year, playing on this team, and still the defense looks unsettled and out of sinq. The tackling is sloppy, and the CSU backs would run 3-4 yards after they were initially hit. We barely had the ball in the 4th qtr, and were ineffective when we did, plus we got very little pressure on the QB. Offensively, we moved the ball, and scored some points, thanks to Jalen, without him, we would not be nearly as productive on the offensive side of the game.
Think we`ll win another game this year, Rick ?

CajunCrimson

Moderator (FB,BB) and Vinyl Enthusiast
Staff member
Mar 13, 2001
Breaux Bridge, La
This is the third game of the season. We lost 5 LBs. We're rotating players in and out to give them some experience. This was expected. I expect them to tighten up the ship a little this weekend. Its not the play of D-line we need to complain about. I noticed lot of whiff tackles by Secondary, LBs, and DL as a whole. We didn't just execute like we're supposed to. Players were in wrong spot, or blew a play. Little things that caused the plays to break open. They will address that.
This.....

If we wanted to keep the starters in the game -- and win by 30, does anyone really think we couldn't have done that?

IMALOYAL1

All-American
Oct 28, 2000
Birmingham AL
I've always felt when a team is not ready to play at their peak. Are not hungry for a statement win, it shows up on defense.

We'll find out if the this years team is championship grade as time goes on.

Redwood Forrest

Hall of Fame
Sep 19, 2003
Boaz, AL USA
A relative told me today if Bama had been playing a good team Saturday they would have "got beat." I just laughed. We beat the number 3 team handily, but we are toast. Oklahoma beat the number 2 team and they are UNSTOPPABLE. Clemson beat a couple of top 20 teams and they are UNBEATABLE.

GrayTide

Hall of Fame
Nov 15, 2005
Greenbow, Alabama
Yeah, we beat the #3 team, but IMO both Ole Miss and MSU's QBs are significantly better than Francois. There is no question our defense has taken a step back and, compound that with the rash of injuries, makes us definitely vulnerable right now. The so called "50/50" pass routes scare me every time and coupled with lack of an effective pass rush just adds to the problem.

Offensively, the OL is still a work in process and needs to come together before the SEC gauntlet. We are still too dependent on Hurts bailing us out with his running and heaven forbid he sustains a season ending injury. All things considered we need a lot of improvement on both sides of the ball if we hope to get to Atlanta at least once. My thoughts after 3 games is there are at least 6 teams that would beat us if we played them next Saturday: Clemson, Oklahoma, Oklahoma State, USCw, Penn State and tOSU.

Redwood Forrest

Hall of Fame
Sep 19, 2003
Boaz, AL USA
Yeah, we beat the #3 team, but IMO both Ole Miss and MSU's QBs are significantly better than Francois. There is no question our defense has taken a step back and, compound that with the rash of injuries, makes us definitely vulnerable right now. The so called "50/50" pass routes scare me every time and coupled with lack of an effective pass rush just adds to the problem.

Offensively, the OL is still a work in process and needs to come together before the SEC gauntlet. We are still too dependent on Hurts bailing us out with his running and heaven forbid he sustains a season ending injury. All things considered we need a lot of improvement on both sides of the ball if we hope to get to Atlanta at least once. My thoughts after 3 games is there are at least 6 teams that would beat us if we played them next Saturday: Clemson, Oklahoma, Oklahoma State, USCw, Penn State and tOSU.
If that is true, then Coach Saban is doing a very poor job with our talent. He has the #1 class over five years. Oklahoma State #35.8, Penn State #21.4. I will buy that Clemson, Oklahoma, tOSU and USC might beat us, but I don't think the other two have the talent to beat us. Of course they look impressive and all that .... just like Louisville did with their #36.8 classes.

WylieTexasTider

All-American
Sep 24, 2006
My thoughts after 3 games is there are at least 6 teams that would beat us if we played them next Saturday: Clemson, Oklahoma, Oklahoma State, USCw, Penn State and tOSU.
Assuming we had Jennings and Evans back, tOSU with a QB who is a worse passer than Jalen would not beat us. USCw who should've lost to TX would not come close to us, neither would Penn St.

OU, OK St and Clemson would be great games. Right now I'd say we would beat Okie St. Clemson and OU would be toss ups.

Having our LB's back will have folks in the right position which will fix 99% of the issues.

Shea Patterson IMO is not a better QB than Francois. He managed 16 points VS Cal. Frekin Cal is ranked 114 in total D.

Our schedule sets us up nicely. Vandy and Ole Miss to let us get our feet wet in SEC play. aTm and Arky get us ready for the "meat" of SEC play, UT, LSU and Miss St. Honestly, only Miss St scare me and they are Miss St. Even if we slip up VS Miss St, we will have the SEC W clinched before we play and beat a 4 loss barn team.

Not saying we win a title but, assuming we don't lose Jalen or more LB's, we are the most likely playoff team out there besides Clemson. (I only say Clemson b/c their schedule is crap the rest of the year.)

81usaf92

TideFans Legend
Apr 26, 2008
South Alabama

Fitzgerald maybe better than Francois but you can't tell me Shane Patterson is. We will know more about our defense this week against Shumer than we will vs Ole Miss.

deliveryman35

Hall of Fame
Jul 26, 2003
Gadsden, AL
Both Mississippi school QBs are very good and could give our D trouble. From a schedule perspective, they are the only two real threats I see on the schedule right now, due in great part to how weak the rest of the division and conference appear to be. I still think we win at least 10 games but I think we may win ugly more than a few times and I agree with Gray Tide's assessment of where we stand right now in relation to the other highly ranked teams outside of the SEC. We probably should be ranked somewhere between 3rd-5th nationally.

Last edited:

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.