Mom passed away Saturday. But not before she left me a story to tell you guys...

gtowntide

All-American
Mar 1, 2011
Memphis,TN.
I'm sorry about your mom and pray God will give you and your family peace. I think about my mom and dad and miss them so much. I love the story about yours. God Bless you.

IMALOYAL1

All-American
Oct 28, 2000
Birmingham AL
Sounds like you have great family memories. I hope I can leave my children and grandchildren with a few good memories. It's the one thing we should all try to do.

RTR

Saban4Ever

All-American
Sep 27, 2016
Cobb County GA
I'm sorry about your mom, Jess. Prayers to you. My mom died 11 years ago and still feels like yesterday, as she was my best friend. She LOVED Bama football. I wish she could have seen at least some of the Saban dynasty starting.

Your story was a great read.

The Ols

Hall of Fame
Jul 8, 2012
Cumming,Ga.
Thanks Jess!!! I'm a true believer. Lost my dad last year the night of our Club Championship. I didn't know until after. This year it was supposed to rain that weekend. It did. Everywhere but over Windermere. We played the entire weekend while it rained all around us, but not on us...Thoughts and prayers!!! RTR!!!
First, some of you have met my mom at the old tailgate we used to have in Tuscaloosa when I was a student there. This is an end of an era for my family, for sure. I've talked much before about Dad's history in World War II, the poverty he grew up in.

What I didn't talk much about was Mom's contributions. She was by his side for 54 years until his death, she worked to help put him through medical school, she campaigned tirelessly to convince the probate judge and county commission to build a hospital in Monroe County.

My favorite other story of her came when she was a student at Montevallo. Some of you might be aware that The University of Alabama's debate team has won 21 national championships. It's either the most or second-most in history; Harvard is the other school in that discussion. Alabama has beaten a lot of teams over the years ... but they couldn't get by little Montevallo, with Mom at the helm. It's the only time in my life I'm glad Alabama ever lost at something.

But that's not the story I want to tell.

Back in 2005, my dad died just before the Southern Miss game, known to most as "the Tyrone Prothro game." But we knew it for something else that happened during that game, something most have forgotten.

The family was gathered around the TV that night to watch the game, and the sprinkler system malfunctioned at Bryant-Denny Stadium during it. Right in the middle of the game, the system turned on and started spraying water everywhere. Players were standing around with their hands on their hips, somewhat in disbelief. Mike Shula looked supremely confused.

It was just the kind of thing Dad would have found hilarious. His sense of humor leaned toward the silly and slapstick; the first movie I ever saw in my life was Laurel & Hardy's "The Two Tars," on a Super 8 projector Dad had at the house. We always sort of took it as a sign that Dad was letting us know he was OK and finally out of pain.

Well, Mom passed Saturday morning, so obviously I did not go. Again the family was gathered at the house watching the game, and I get a call from Chris DePew, TideFans' basketball writer, who did attend.

"You're not going to believe this," he said. "They just did that thing where they play highlights from three games and ask people to vote on their favorite."

"The winner was Tyrone Prothro's catch."

Well played, Mom and Dad, well played.

CoolBreeze

Hall of Fame
Sep 18, 2002
Hoover
Glory be to God that you will see her again someday Jess. My mom is 85 and at Brookwood at this very moment in CCU. There is no bond stronger that that between a Mother and her son. It reminds me of the Coach Bryant commercial back in the day. "Call your Mother today. I wish I could call mine."

Condolences and prays friend.

Chukker Veteran

Hall of Fame
Feb 6, 2001
It sounds like you were blessed with the parents you had. And they, in turn, were blessed by a very gifted writer. Peace be with you and yours, Chukker V

CHATTBRIT

Hall of Fame
Dec 3, 2003
Falling Water, TN
So sorry for your loss. My mum passed away in 2000 and I still so miss her but am forever thankful for all the tools of living she gave me.

When my last aunt passed away a couple of years ago, my sister said that she was the last of the older generation. My response to her was, "Guess what? We are the older generation now!"

bodiddle

All-SEC
May 14, 2006
I am so sorry Jess. I lost both of my parents and I know the hurt. My eyes were full of tears as I read that last line. Thanks so much for sharing.

RT27

All-American
Aug 13, 2017
Great story, soory for your loss,been there with both parents also. MY dad loved Bama, that is why I love bama, my oldest memory is sitting in his lap watching Bama in mid 60's, that was until they scored. I usually ended up on the floor when he jumped up to celebrate LOL.

RT27

All-American
Aug 13, 2017
Great story, soory for your loss,been there with both parents also. MY dad loved Bama, that is why I love bama, my oldest memory is sitting in his lap watching Bama in mid 60's, that was until they scored. I usually ended up on the floor when he jumped up to celebrate LOL.
PS tell em to tell Bear we said hey.

BamaQ

BamaNation Citizen
Oct 12, 1999
Savannah, GA
I very sorry for your loss JessN. I have a related story. My father played for Bama in the mid 1960s. The last game I attended with my father was the "Protho Game" which I believe (I could be wrong here) was held on the 40th reunion weekend for the 1965 National Championship Team. This was the last game I attended with my father before his death in 2015 and the last time he was able to reunite with all his old football friends from that team. That game will always be special to me and my family also.

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.