Mom passed away Saturday. But not before she left me a story to tell you guys...

Tideflyer

Hall of Fame
Dec 14, 2011
Savannah, GA
Condolences to you and the family, Jess. I`ve lost both my folks and know how hard it can be. Never have stopped wishing I could talk with them about things. Guess that`s how it should be.

Rush

All-American
Jul 5, 2011
Ontario, Canada
Powerfully beautiful stories, Jess.

Thank you for sharing with us...

Fervent prayers going up for you, your family, and the peaceful repose of your Mom n Dad...

BamaNation

Publisher and Benevolent Dictator
Staff member
Apr 9, 1999
Silicon Slopes
TideFans.com
Here's what you can do in honor of Jess' mom

Jess is too modest to post this, but I will for those that want to show appreciation for all that Jess has done for TideFans and thanks for the amazing people Dr. & Mrs. Nicholas were and how they contributed so much to their state & community:

The family requests, in lieu of flowers, that donations be made to Monroe Health Foundation, in the name of Dr. & Mrs. Francis E. Nicholas in support of the cause that was dear to the hearts of both.

Donations In Honor of Dr. and Mrs. Francis E. Nicholas
Christi Dunn, Monroe Health Foundation Director
P.O. Box 702
Monroeville, AL 36461
Tel: (251) 593-5899
christi.dunn@frontier.com

Last edited:

tusks_n_raider

Hall of Fame
May 13, 2009
Mobile, AL
Jess..... I am incredibly....incredibly.... sorry for you loss. Thank you so much for sharing the stories about your Mom and Dad. I honestly don't know how you found the strength to write the CSU re-cap.

It's taken me a couple days to find the strength to make this post, because I just lost my Mom last year.....just days before we opened up last season with USC. So it's all personally still very hard to come to grips with myself..... and this just still hits so close to home.

But you have very much been in my thoughts and prayers these last few days and just know that you'll always have those great memories and she will continue to be right there with you in your heart.

God bless you and your family during this extremely difficult period.

RollTide1224

All-American
Feb 18, 2008
Spartanburg, SC
Very sorry to hear this Jess. Thanks for sharing the story, I hope it brought a smile in this sad time. I dread the day I have to deal with the loss of either my mom or dad. I lost my brother about a year and a half ago and that was terrible but I fear that losing either mom or dad will ultimately be even worse.

oldtimetider

1st Team
Nov 16, 2008
So sorry to hear of your loss. I so much enjoy reading your posts and articles....always insightful. It's become a part of Fall for me. Our families apparently have traveled somewhat parallel paths. My mom's family is from Monroe County ....a little place called Vredenburgh. She attended Montevallo in the early 50's.. (can't remember if she was a Gold or a Purple...but you had to be one or the other)
That county has produced some good people....Thoughts and prayers for your family

JessN

Administrator & Editor-in-Chief
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
So I logged into this thread today and there are 6 pages of comments, and rather than wear out the "Thank" button (plus you have to wait a certain amount of time between clicks and I'd be here a day and a half :p ), I want to thank everyone at once for their support, prayers and kind comments.

It's still not easy around here and it won't be for some time. There's a house to go through and a lot of memories to pack up in boxes. Dad and I were both shutterbugs and I think we have a picture of every Christmas gift ever opened in our house, for about 30 years. It didn't help that Mom left more than one set of instructions on what to do with everything, on top of the verbal instructions she'd give that were different from what was written down. :rolleyes:

I'll add that Mom especially thought a lot of everyone here at TideFans -- meaning you, the members -- because your interest means I have a job where I still get to write a lot. I left the newspaper industry almost a decade ago now when it became apparent to me that it was dying. Fortunately I got out voluntarily and I love what I do for my "real job" now, and am doubly fortunate I still have the freedom to work for TideFans as well. Technology astounded my mother (we got her an answering machine only about 10-15 years ago; forget finding an internet hookup in her house), and she was wowed by the fact that people all over the world can log in here and read stories and communicate with one another. I often wished we had helped her become computer-savvy back when I started working here, but at least I've never had to explain to her what a Nigerian prince/bank scam is.

What I'll miss during football season is her stories of going to the games with my dad. Dad got his first season tickets in the J.B. Whitworth era. Mom and Dad were both in attendance at Coach Bryant's first game back -- in Ladd Stadium in Mobile, against LSU, and the bleachers collapsed during the game. I've often wondered how many other survivors of that game are still alive to talk about it. They were also in attendance in '71 when the wishbone debuted, they were at the goal-line stand in '79, and we were all together when George Teague and company shut that Miami mouth. And right until the end, Mom could tell you just about everyone on those rosters, could recall entire possessions and key plays, etc.

I'll close with a story that describes Mom to a "T" when it comes to Alabama football: There's an Alabama-Nebraska game out there (Orange Bowl?) where the Huskers beat UA and Jeff Rutledge threw 5 INTs in the game, which may have been his entire season total. My parents had hooked up with a Nebraska couple at a restaurant earlier in the week and ended up sitting together for the game. As everyone was walking out of the stadium, the Nebraska wife says to my mom, "Oh, that was such a great game, it really doesn't matter who won!"

Mom replied, "Oh, yes it does."

BAMAVILLE

Moderator (FB,BB,REC)
Staff member
Jan 9, 2014
Thanks for sharing the wonderful story/testimony relating to both your dad and mom JessN. I'm praying for comfort and encouragement for you and your whole family. My condolences.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.