Mom passed away Saturday. But not before she left me a story to tell you guys...

JessN

Administrator & Editor-in-Chief
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
First, some of you have met my mom at the old tailgate we used to have in Tuscaloosa when I was a student there. This is an end of an era for my family, for sure. I've talked much before about Dad's history in World War II, the poverty he grew up in.

What I didn't talk much about was Mom's contributions. She was by his side for 54 years until his death, she worked to help put him through medical school, she campaigned tirelessly to convince the probate judge and county commission to build a hospital in Monroe County.

My favorite other story of her came when she was a student at Montevallo. Some of you might be aware that The University of Alabama's debate team has won 21 national championships. It's either the most or second-most in history; Harvard is the other school in that discussion. Alabama has beaten a lot of teams over the years ... but they couldn't get by little Montevallo, with Mom at the helm. It's the only time in my life I'm glad Alabama ever lost at something.

But that's not the story I want to tell.

Back in 2005, my dad died just before the Southern Miss game, known to most as "the Tyrone Prothro game." But we knew it for something else that happened during that game, something most have forgotten.

The family was gathered around the TV that night to watch the game, and the sprinkler system malfunctioned at Bryant-Denny Stadium during it. Right in the middle of the game, the system turned on and started spraying water everywhere. Players were standing around with their hands on their hips, somewhat in disbelief. Mike Shula looked supremely confused.

It was just the kind of thing Dad would have found hilarious. His sense of humor leaned toward the silly and slapstick; the first movie I ever saw in my life was Laurel & Hardy's "The Two Tars," on a Super 8 projector Dad had at the house. We always sort of took it as a sign that Dad was letting us know he was OK and finally out of pain.

Well, Mom passed Saturday morning, so obviously I did not go. Again the family was gathered at the house watching the game, and I get a call from Chris DePew, TideFans' basketball writer, who did attend.

"You're not going to believe this," he said. "They just did that thing where they play highlights from three games and ask people to vote on their favorite."

"The winner was Tyrone Prothro's catch."

Well played, Mom and Dad, well played.

oskie

All-SEC
Jan 28, 2005
I appreciate you sharing those stories with us, Jess.

I am sorry for your loss.

GrayTide

Hall of Fame
Nov 15, 2005
Greenbow, Alabama
Jess, so very sorry to hear of your mother's death. It is something we all will have to face or already have faced, there is no way to prepare for it. I loved the stories about your father sounds like a helluva of a guy. Sincere condolences to your family.

Tide&True

All-American
Sep 24, 2004
Murfreesboro, TN
Jess, thank you for such a wonderful story of your Dad and Mom. I'm very sorry for your loss. You are in my prayers.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

cindym

All-SEC
Oct 14, 2009
saraland, al
So sorry Jess, I lost my dad recently and I know you're loss. Will be praying for you and neat to know you're parents and my dad are sitting in glory watching our beloved Tide and rooting like crazy!!!

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.