2017 Week 4 Gameweek Thread (Practice Reports, Pressers, etc.)

Tideflyer

Hall of Fame
Dec 14, 2011
Savannah, GA
Wonder how our wounded LB`s did in practice yesterday. I sure hope that they`re able to go full tilt. I don`t remember seeing anything about them being in black.

JustNeedMe81

Hall of Fame
Sep 30, 2011
Huntsville, Al
Last year team had a player only meeting and we didn't hear about it for weeks... I suspect this year, we probably won't hear about that for a while.

I expect a complete game from Bama this weekend.

Intl.Aperture

All-American
Aug 12, 2015
Chesapeake, Virginia
"Players only meeting" sounds sort of gimmicky and Auburnesque to me. Sounded like Saban, while allowing it, wasn't to impressed.
Bama has had player only meetings going back for quite a few years. Often the media doesn't know about them when they happen or at all, but they happen at any school where there is accountability and leadership among the players. Having them doesn't mean the team will play any better, nor does it mean they are pathetic or "Auburnesque."

I would postulate that Saban doesn't want players coaching themselves and ignoring the advice of their staff - a team can become too insular and try to run itself, hence the cautious approach to team meetings. But, I'd believe that Elvis is still alive before I started to believe that an Alabama football team was ignoring the coaching of Nick Saban.

LA4Bama

All-SEC
Jan 5, 2015
Los Angeles, CA
I missed watching the Fresno St. game and most of the CSU game, so I just went back last night and watched condensed versions on Youtube. Couple of observations. I was struck by how often Jalen took off on runs that appeared planned or at least were not the last option. I believe the offense has simply embraced Jalen's running as a central piece of the strategy. People who wanted Jalen to be a pass first QB are not going to be happy, but I think at this point it is what it is, and he needs to be free to play his game. I'm satisfied as long as that identity is embraced and our strengths are given a chance to shine. In the long run is he runs, safeties will have to cheat up, so I see more seam routes to Ridley in our future.

On defense, I was struck by how slow D. Hand appeared to be. I couldn't believe how passive he was off the snap and how little punch his first move had. I really hope to see more from him this week, but I wonder what happened.

I hope the players only meeting was about getting back to a mean streak, a la Foster, Anderson, Allen, and Williams. Except for Minkah and Ronnie, I didn't see much furious play on defense. Definitely not enough guys intense enough to MTAQ.

I look for a good game from the o-line this week; I think they are starting to put it together. By midseason I think we will be pleasantly surprised with that unit's progress.

Intl.Aperture

All-American
Aug 12, 2015
Chesapeake, Virginia
I missed watching the Fresno St. game and most of the CSU game, so I just went back last night and watched condensed versions on Youtube. Couple of observations. I was struck by how often Jalen took off on runs that appeared planned or at least were not the last option. I believe the offense has simply embraced Jalen's running as a central piece of the strategy. People who wanted Jalen to be a pass first QB are not going to be happy, but I think at this point it is what it is, and he needs to be free to play his game. I'm satisfied as long as that identity is embraced and our strengths are given a chance to shine. In the long run is he runs, safeties will have to cheat up, so I see more seam routes to Ridley in our future.

On defense, I was struck by how slow D. Hand appeared to be. I couldn't believe how passive he was off the snap and how little punch his first move had. I really hope to see more from him this week, but I wonder what happened.

I hope the players only meeting was about getting back to a mean streak, a la Foster, Anderson, Allen, and Williams. Except for Minkah and Ronnie, I didn't see much furious play on defense. Definitely not enough guys intense enough to MTAQ.

I look for a good game from the o-line this week; I think they are starting to put it together. By midseason I think we will be pleasantly surprised with that unit's progress.
I like these observations.

The only note is that i don't think there ever was a team meeting. Reports I read said it hadn't happened yet and looked unlikely to happen. The defense felt it had worked out a lot of kinks with a very productive practice.

EDIT: Here is the link talking about the lack of meeting. LINK

bodiddle

All-SEC
May 14, 2006

I don't believe that Hand was the only one being passive. It appeared to me that on a lot of plays that Davis just stood up and leaned against the offensive lineman and that was about it.

gtgilbert

All-American
Aug 12, 2011
Markail Benton must be making good progress if he was practicing with the 1's in the dime rabbit package.
agree. wonder if this means we won't be seeing Evans or moses back this week?

one thing though is that's not a dime package. it's a nickel package with 5 dbs and a 3-3 front. we play a 3-3 most of the time for nickel, but this sounds like a different version of it with 2 lbs Playing up on the line instead of just one.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.