Is the pick play being flagged more?

CoreGroup

1st Team
Nov 19, 2013
Dothan, Al
So I've seen 5 pick plays flagged in a few games that I've been able to watch this weekend. In the New England vs NO it was flagged once and over turned though it shouldn't have been, Green Bay was flagged twice, Both Lau and Miss st were flagged in the first quarter for it. Are OCs calling the play more now that they've seen Clemson get away with it or are refs watching for it more because of the blown calls in the Championship game?

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
So I've seen 5 pick plays flagged in a few games that I've been able to watch this weekend. In the New England vs NO it was flagged once and over turned though it shouldn't have been, Green Bay was flagged twice, Both Lau and Miss st were flagged in the first quarter for it. Are OCs calling the play more now that they've seen Clemson get away with it or are refs watching for it more because of the blown calls in the Championship game?
IDK if NCAA refs are looking for it now, but I saw the plays you saw and had some of the same thoughts. In the Clemson game, I saw it thought surely they'd call it, it was so blatant, but no, TD...

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
Clemson is still running them regularly this year, and still not getting called for it.

RollTide_HTTR

Hall of Fame
Feb 22, 2017
Feels like this is a rule that needs to be fixed. This and the illegal man down field. If you are going to throw a flag every time a DB breathes on a WR then you have to at least create some rules to help out the DBs. I know everyone seems to love big offensive games now but I enjoy football more when both sides of the ball are putting up a fight.

CrimsonForce

Hall of Fame
Dec 20, 2012
I agree the rule needs to be enforced, however, in the meantime while it's not being enforced (at least not against Clemson) our players need to be put in a position to defend that play better. Teams normally run pick plays in the red zone so it should be a point of emphasis that the coaches can address..

ChattTide

All-SEC
Jul 20, 2000
Memphis, TN
I agree the rule needs to be enforced, however, in the meantime while it's not being enforced (at least not against Clemson) our players need to be put in a position to defend that play better. Teams normally run pick plays in the red zone so it should be a point of emphasis that the coaches can address..
Or run the same pick play...

Special K

All-American
Feb 8, 2008
Got to figure how to chuck and jam the ever livin' crap out of the WR at the line in goal line situations, without hanging on so long you get called for holding or interference. Fail to do that and it's almost impossible to defend if it's executed correctly. Easier said than done though.

CrimsonForce

Hall of Fame
Dec 20, 2012
Got to figure how to chuck and jam the ever livin' crap out of the WR at the line in goal line situations, without hanging on so long you get called for holding or interference. Fail to do that and it's almost impossible to defend if it's executed correctly. Easier said than done though.
Well, that or just switch on the WRs. If there's 2 WRs to one side all the DBs have to do is switch when the WR crosses his face. Almost like playing a zone-man hybrid coverage where the DBs don't let the WRs get outside of them. Something like this would completely counter a pick play which is one of 2 passing plays that teams normally run on the goal line with the other play being a corner fade..

Power Eye

All-SEC
Aug 3, 2005
After watching the calls in the Falcons/Packers game Sunday night and seeing how livid Rodgers was, I had the very same thought. Unfortunately, I think we ended-up playing the role of the martyr.

Bamabuzzard

FB Moderator
Staff member
Aug 15, 2004
Where ever there's BBQ, Bourbon & Football
On the college level, the answer is an emphatic NO! The first weekend of college football I watched four or five games in which pick plays and illegal linemen downfield were so blatant it was pitiful. Yet not one time in the games I saw them in did one penalty flag come out. Clemson ran it all throughout their game with Auburn.

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
Well, that or just switch on the WRs. If there's 2 WRs to one side all the DBs have to do is switch when the WR crosses his face..
This doesn't work at all if you are in a short yardage to gain situation as you have to give too much room to ensure that you are able to switch off when the receivers are trying to create contact. So, in reality, it just doesn't work. The only thing that works is jamming the receivers hard. Disrupt the timing and the pick play doesn't work. But you run the risk of getting called for defensive holding.

Bamabuzzard

FB Moderator
Staff member
Aug 15, 2004
Where ever there's BBQ, Bourbon & Football
This doesn't work at all if you are in a short yardage to gain situation as you have to give too much room to ensure that you are able to switch off when the receivers are trying to create contact. So, in reality, it just doesn't work. The only thing that works is jamming the receivers hard. Disrupt the timing and the pick play doesn't work. But you run the risk of getting called for defensive holding.
Defenses aren't given any options to defend it. That's the problem I have with it. At the college level DB's aren't given the same freedom of contact as on the pro level. Pro CB's can immediately jam and it takes a lot more for a flag to be thrown compared to the college level. So basically the defense (on these type plays) is "defenseless". And you see teams such as Clemson and others go back to these plays in critical times over and over and over. Because they know they are unstoppable.

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
Defenses aren't given any options to defend it. That's the problem I have with it. At the college level DB's aren't given the same freedom of contact as on the pro level. Pro CB's can immediately jam and it takes a lot more for a flag to be thrown compared to the college level. So basically the defense (on these type plays) is "defenseless". And you see teams such as Clemson and others go back to these plays in critical times over and over and over. Because they know they are unstoppable.
Agreed, you take a chance of drawing the flag, but you have to try it otherwise you are hoping for a dropped pass to save you.

theshow4jsu_13

3rd Team
Apr 13, 2007
Birmingham, AL
www.myspace.com

This how you have to defend the pick. Watch as #15 from Seattle engages 39 from NE. 39 recognizes it, and jams 15 hard at the LOS which forces 83 from Seattle to take a shallower route on the pick. 21 from NE immediately recognizes the pick and jumps the route for the int.

Special K

All-American
Feb 8, 2008

This how you have to defend the pick. Watch as #15 from Seattle engages 39 from NE. 39 recognizes it, and jams 15 hard at the LOS which forces 83 from Seattle to take a shallower route on the pick. 21 from NE immediately recognizes the pick and jumps the route for the int.
Exactly what I was talking about.

AlexanderFan

Hall of Fame
Jul 23, 2004
Birmingham
I think you guys need to go back and take another look at the last second scoring play by Clemson...
What? Those plays are identical, except where the pick went outside, Watson rolled that way and the receiver tackled our defender. Other than that, they are the same.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.