FINALLY!! Bama vs Vandy in NASHVILLE! Some Thoughts and Numbers...

PitMaster

Suspended
Aug 24, 2015
A Trip I miss greatly on the every other year basis - love, love, LOVE Nashville...

This has got to be, from the Vandy perspective, the biggest Bama-Vandy game in my lifetime.

Some Numbers...

Bama@Vandy
2:30PM CDT Nashville
Line - Bama -19 1/2 (open) Current line has Bama between -18 1/2 to -19 1/2
Total - Opened and steady at 43 1/2
TV - CBS

Scoring Defense
Vandy 1 (4.3 ppg allowed)
Bama 16 (13.3 ppg allowed)

Scoring Offense

Vandy 78 (28.0 ppg)
Bama 44 (35.3 ppg)

Total Defense

Vandy #1
Bama #37

Bama currently has 6 teams left on the schedule with a higher total defense rank

Total Offense
Vandy 103
Bama 64

Passing Efficiency
Vandy 11
Bama 27

Turnover Margin
Vandy Tied 17th (5 gained, 1 lost, +4 margin)
Bama Tied 3rd (6 gained, 0 lost, +6 margin)

Both teams very good at protecting the ball, obviously

3rd down conversion %
Vandy 52
Bama 89

3rd down defensive %
Vandy 4th
Bama 83rd

Net Punting
Vandy 117
Bama 56

As you can see, after 3 games, some very Un-Bama like numbers for the Tide. Third down on both sides of the ball needs to get a good bit better.

Vandy opened at MTSU, and beat a pretty good team by 3 TDs. After a 42-0 win over Alabama A&M, they of course upset a K-State team expected to compete for the Big 12 Title, 14-7. The stats were very even in yards gained, time of possession - but the difference may have been the 2 Wildcat turnovers compared to zero by Vandy.

Consider the following - KState rushed for 201 yards, Vandy only 65. The talented Commodore RB Webb tallied only 46 yards on 21 carries. The Wildcats shuttered teh run game.

But the 2 turnovers, plus a staggering over-reliance on Wildcat QB Ertz

10-28 for 76 passing yards, 2 ints,
A whopping 24 carries for 126 yards, 5.3 per carry

Kstate had 63 total plays - Ertz threw or ran on 52 of them - yet still had good success on the ground. I have to believe Jalen will be effective as well, just hope we get the run game going with the actual RUNNING BACKS

Both Ds made it tough on the QBs - QBR rating for Ertz was 31.9, for Shurmur 69.4 (14/23 for 205)

Going to be an interesting day

JustNeedMe81

Hall of Fame
Sep 30, 2011
Huntsville, Al
It's not always about the stats between the teams. I addressed this in the other thread, but I'll repost this.

I'm not 100 percent sold on Vanderbilt.

They played against MTSU. The MTSU beat Syracuse 30-23, and then lost Minnsota 34-3. <- How do you call this a very good team that lost to Minnsota?
Then they played AAMU, which has been outscored 125-7 in the last 3 games. AAMU played UAB, Vandy and USA.

If you look at Kansas QB, Jesse Ertz's stats, you will notice that he has regressed in the last three game, going from throwing 4 TDs to throwing 2 Ints with no touchdowns in last two games.

Ralph Webb- Running game is terrible. Averaging 2.2 yards? For a team that's 3-0, they should be averaging more than 2.2 a yard. I honestly believe that Vandy is overrated team because of who they played in the last three games. I suspect game is over by halftime. Bama 48-10

RollTide_HTTR

Hall of Fame
Feb 22, 2017
It's not always about the stats between the teams. I addressed this in the other thread, but I'll repost this.

They played against MTSU. The MTSU beat Syracuse 30-23, and then lost Minnsota 34-3. <- How do you call this a very good team that lost to Minnsota?
Then they played AAMU, which has been outscored 125-7 in the last 3 games. AAMU played UAB, Vandy and USA.

If you look at Kansas QB, Jesse Ertz's stats, you will notice that he has regressed in the last three game, going from throwing 4 TDs to throwing 2 Ints with no touchdowns in last two games.

Ralph Webb- Running game is terrible. Averaging 2.2 yards? For a team that's 3-0, they should be averaging more than 2.2 a yard. I honestly believe that Vandy is overrated team because of who they played in the last three games. I suspect game is over by halftime. Bama 48-10
To add on to this, I think the match up is bad for them. From what I've read their strength is their Pass D and their weakness on D is their Run D. Well, we happen to have a stable of RBs that are easily the deepest in the nation and a QB who is as good of a runner at the QB position as anyone I have ever seen (with maybe the exception of Lamar Jackson). Maybe early in the game we struggle to get a rhythm and try to pass the ball down field a couple times which could keep the game close if we miss on those shots. But, by the 3rd quarter I expect this game to be over.

PitMaster

Suspended
Aug 24, 2015

I said pretty good, not very good. MTSU is usually a pretty capable team, a bowl team, and they hosted Vandy in what had to be one of the biggest home games ever for Middle. I was impressed this Vandy team handled them pretty easily - and I am pretty sure MTSU was without their outstanding SR QB Stockstill vs Minny.

It is also very Un-Vandy like to find a way to beat a team like Kansas State, unless KSU was pretty overhyped in the preseason

Al A Bama

Hall of Fame
Jun 24, 2011
I do believe this is going to be a very tough game for Alabama. Vandy's DEFENSE is tough. Our Offense Line must be much more OFFENSIVE against their defense. We need to CONTROL the ball and wear out that defense.

You know, Vandy does slip up on Alabama every 20 or 30 years. They did it while Coach Bryant was coach.

Here's hoping that we get some linebackers back this week and our Defense SHUTS them OUT! Also, I'm hoping that the Alabama Defensive Line puts lots of PRESSURE on Vandy's QB and the Alabama DB's get a few interceptions to help seal a victory for the Tide.

uaintn

All-American
Aug 2, 2000
franklin, tennessee, usa
The KSU game was odd. They seemed to have the ability to pound the football, but instead chose a lot of pass plays and a lot of qb runs. VU has very good defensive statistics this year, but they have not really faced a team that was willing to just line up and run straight at them. I expect that to change on Saturday. Perhaps they will prove that they can stop a dedicated smash mouth running attack. If they can handle that, this game could be very interesting. If not, or if they wear down as the game goes along, it could get ugly.

It is hard for me to project how hard it will be for Vandy to get yards because I don't have a good idea which players we will have back at linebacker and what level they'll be able to perform at just returning. If Jennings/Evans/Moses are all three back and playing at a relatively high level, I like our chances to win and cover.

Intl.Aperture

All-American
Aug 12, 2015
Chesapeake, Virginia
I Expect A Different Alabama team this Saturday from the last two weekends.樂
I agree with this. It's just a feeling I get.

The offense has started to round into shape at the proper time, the defense has hopefully been shocked into action and is returning several key contributors.

I'd bank on our offense cracking their defense before their offense cracks our defense. (Now rub your head and pat your belly.)

We have too many ways to Hurt(s) people on offense and they are completely uninspiring on the offensive side of the ball. If we can get any semblance of pressure on the QB this could turn into one of those deflating games that other college football fans hate but we love. Like the Tennessee game last year. One of the most uncompetitive, lopsided, mud-hole stomping escapades of the year in what WAS supposed to be a heavyweight brawl. People tuned out, fans left early, and I was left smiling and satisfied, glowing and giddy for days afterwards.

Hopefully this is like that.

81usaf92

TideFans Legend
Apr 26, 2008
South Alabama
Vandy has a good qb, but they don't have a receiving core. I think the game is going to be closer than what people think because Vandy does have a defense that can prevent us from pulling away. The only way I see Vandy actually beating us is if we have significant injuries throughout the game or if Vandy plays their A game and we play our C game. I expect something like 27-16 type game.

PitMaster

Suspended
Aug 24, 2015
Just watched part of last weeks game in Nashville - KState should have won by double digits. I did not see teh whole thing, but I did see...

KState thought they had forced a fumble and scored a NOT in the first half - replay reversed it, right call imo

K State stalled on a drive and missed a 40 yard FG

K State ran a punt back to be nullified by a weak block in the back call

KState stalled at games end inside the 20, did not convert on 4th down.

Saban4Ever

All-American
Sep 27, 2016
Cobb County GA
Vanderbilt's QB, Kyle S is not dual threat is he? I don't remember reading that he is. Colorado State's QB ran a few times where BAMA wasn't expecting it since he had not done it yet this year much. I imagine Vandy's QB will do the same at least a few times.

Padreruf

Hall of Fame
Feb 12, 2001
Charleston, South Carolina
They will be tough for a while...but we will pull away in the 3rd quarter as we have too much talent and depth. I am assuming that our OL will block better than they have to this point...not so concerned about the Defense.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.