Rashaan Evans to OLB ?

Intl.Aperture

All-American
Aug 12, 2015
Chesapeake, Virginia
I have heard it talked about it but have not seen it confirmed by witnesses at practice or by a coach.

IMHO I think it could be a good idea. Evans has played OLB in the past and he's got a great build for it, not to mention his speed. Plus, factor in that SDH and Holcombe and Mack Wilson have been playing well in the middle and that Dylan Moses is back from injury to provide depth and I think it could work.

With Jennings and Evans on the outside it may be just the experience and skill needed to pincer the QB's into making mistakes.

But Coach Saban will do the right thing and he'll work it out.

Tiderollin32

All-SEC
Mar 12, 2012
I believe Evans and Jennings will do a great job as OLB. Give Mosley and Allen limited assignments on some third downs to only rush the passer. It will keep our guys fresh and possibly help them make less mental errors.

RollTide_HTTR

Hall of Fame
Feb 22, 2017
I think tidesports said or implied that he worked with the ILBs. I would bet on him playing some OLB even if he does stick at ILB though. I was under the impression that he was going to have a dual role even before the injuries but that could have just been an assumption on my part and not evidence based.

gtgilbert

All-American
Aug 12, 2011
Anybody know if RE was with the inside or outside LB group in yesterday`s practice? Could have missed it.
He was with the ILBs during the part of practice that's reported and I'd expect he'll stay there in base and nickel, and continue with his role as a situational edge rusher in some packages like he was against FSU. he lacks the mass to be an effective every down OLB in our system though.

78Alum

All-American
Aug 1, 2007
Alabaster, AL
Yes, the reports have been that he has been working with the ILBs. However, it is likely that he may play some OLB at least in spots to give a better edge rush.

uaintn

All-American
Aug 2, 2000
franklin, tennessee, usa
Agreed. I think he is fine to rush from the edge but not want him to have to set the edge on an every down basis. Besides, I like his brain in the middle of the defense. IMHO we have missed his football IQ just as much as his skill since he was injured.

Alasippi

Suspended
Aug 31, 2007
Ocean Springs, MS
I like him outside. He's honestly not big enough to be inside. Plus, he's absolutely our best pass rusher. Look at the Clemson game from two years ago. He was the primary guy that absolutely took over in the fourth quarter.

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
I like him outside. He's honestly not big enough to be inside. Plus, he's absolutely our best pass rusher. Look at the Clemson game from two years ago. He was the primary guy that absolutely took over in the fourth quarter.
He's 6'3 234. Mack Wilson is 6'2, 236.

Mack's not going to be an every down OLB. With his versatility, Rashaan is great at both in order to defend the offenses we face today.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Alasippi

Suspended
Aug 31, 2007
Ocean Springs, MS
He's 6'3 234. Mack Wilson is 6'2, 236.

Mack's not going to be an every down OLB. With his versatility, Rashaan is great at both in order to defend the offenses we face today.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
True they're very comparable overall size wise....but Mack is an absolute stocky tank who will knock your head off...while Rashaad is more of a stream lined gazelle who can catch you. I love Mack inside and Evans outside.
No prob with Evans inside in certain situations, but on third and nine he's my outside guy.

BamaGreek

All-American
Jan 6, 2007
Brentwood, TN
Rashaan is the starting Wil LB on depth chart. I think for now anyway he will go back to how he played against FSU. Play in the middle and edge rush in passing situations. I'm just really glad he is back in the lineup. I see Jennings is 2nd on depth chart behind Mosely. Seems they will work him in a little slower coming off that ankle injury. Bama's defense will be improved no doubt with two opening day linebackers return from injury.

gtgilbert

All-American
Aug 12, 2011
That's just silly talk. To play outside as an every down OLB in our scheme, the way we run it now, requires a bigger body and more weight than playing inside.

That's why even last year, Jennings was the starting SAM over Williams in base. last year Foster lost weight (down from above 240 to below 230) so he'd be faster. Mack lost weight this year. I think SDH said he'd lost weight to get ready and faster for this year. Look at the roster and most of the guys who play OLB push are 250 to 260, and all the ILB's settled in around 230-235. The smallest non-FR OLB is Miller listed at 240 and he was the guy coming off the field in nickel with jennings or lewis as the primary OLB and they are both 255+. The way we play has changed and put a focus on smaller, faster guys in the middle so they can play sideline to sideline. The days where a guy like Trey Depriest, who purely a downhill between the tackles thumper, can play in the middle are gone for now. On the other hand the primary outside guys are basically smaller more nimble DEs who can play both in with their hands in the dirt and in a two point stance and be able to still drop into coverage every once and a while. They still have to have more mass so they can set the edge against 320 pound OTs.

Evans is a great pass rusher, but there's no way he could play every down as an OLB in our current scheme. He'll continue to take reps out there in some pass rush specific packages for sure, especially as well as Holcombe has played in pass coverage in dime. Funny thing is against clemson two years ago on many of REs big plays he was playing a shadow role from the middle, and he'd delay coming until the other pressure forced watson to move and he'd pursue from there to keep him contained.

Tideflyer

Hall of Fame
Dec 14, 2011
Savannah, GA
Yes, the reports have been that he has been working with the ILBs. However, it is likely that he may play some OLB at least in spots to give a better edge rush.
It would seem that not to do so would waste two of his biggest physical assets, his quickness and foot speed. He`s probably the closest thing to Tim Williams that we have on the team.

gtgilbert

All-American
Aug 12, 2011
It would seem that not to do so would waste two of his biggest physical assets, his quickness and foot speed. He`s probably the closest thing to Tim Williams that we have on the team.
That quickness and foot speed is also what will make the NFL scouts go bonkers over him as an ILB also so it's not wasted at that spot. Just look at all the hype Reuben has had so far for his speed in the NFL. Evans is ever faster than Reuben...

Tideflyer

Hall of Fame
Dec 14, 2011
Savannah, GA
Didn't mean to imply that I thought his physical talents were a waste at ILB, only that not having him in a position to come off the edge WOULD be a waste of said talents.

rgw

Suspended
Sep 15, 2003
Tuscaloosa
I think in this day and age, an ILB that can run sideline to sideline is almost as big of a deal as an edge rusher. The days are over for manhole cover body types that just hang out between the ends waiting to hit someone.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.