What is up with our punt return game ?

RiffTide

BamaNation Citizen
Dec 30, 2015
Seems like we have made an inordinate number of fair catches with a meager number of return yards. Is this something we can expect to see for the rest of the season. We need to be more productive in this area.

bamamc1

Hall of Fame
Oct 24, 2011
Haleyville, AL
I get nervous every time our special teams come on the field because we have a lot of front line players out there. We lost Eddie Last year vs. aTm on a punt return and Kenyan Drake for several weeks the year before on punt coverage. I think I would have to close my eyes if we sent Minkah or Ridley back to return. On that note, after seeing R. Foster on his play last Sat., he might be someone I would look at. I had to leave the room when CSU was attempting that onside kick for fear of who was on our hands team and what might happen.

Special K

All-American
Feb 8, 2008
Diggs is a good returner, we're just not getting a lot of opportunities for returns because of the way teams are kicking too us - either roll out rugby style or sky kicking it and forcing a fair catch. Not much you can do about that.

Padreruf

Hall of Fame
Feb 12, 2001
Charleston, South Carolina
Diggs is a good returner, we're just not getting a lot of opportunities for returns because of the way teams are kicking too us - either roll out rugby style or sky kicking it and forcing a fair catch. Not much you can do about that.
You nailed it...the punters are getting better than I can ever remember at controlling returns.

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
Obvious answer. I'm a little surprised at this thread...

Alasippi

Suspended
Aug 31, 2007
Ocean Springs, MS
I'd like to see Xavian Marks at least get an opportunity. I've never seen him at punt returner or receiver that he didn't perform wonderfully.
I may be mistaken, but I think he's returned one punt and that was for about an 80 yard touchdown.
In the A-Day Game..he stayed wide open as a receiver.
I know he's small but dang he's fast as greased lightning.
Nothing against Diggs. I just wonder why Marks doesn't get a shot.

LA4Bama

All-SEC
Jan 5, 2015
Los Angeles, CA
It isn't hard to find the answer, but it is something to observe. I noticed it last year, too, that teans just don't seem willing to kick it to us that often. I guess the punt return team should take it as a compliment.

On a tangent, having a really great punter is a double edge sword. I saw Brad Wing kick an amazing punt the other night (for the NYFB Giants) but it was run back because he out-kicked the coverage. It seems that a strategic approach is the way to go.

Alasippi

Suspended
Aug 31, 2007
Ocean Springs, MS
speaking of punt returns...Eddie Jackson is playing incredibly well at safety for the Chicago Bears.
They're not a real good team right now....but he is a true bright spot. Commentators were raving about him Sunday.
I see no way that we would have lost to Clemson if Eddie had been healthy. He, to me, was our true team leader.
We lost a huge intangible when we lost Eddie.

JustNeedMe81

Hall of Fame
Sep 30, 2011
Huntsville, Al
I'd like to see Xavian Marks at least get an opportunity. I've never seen him at punt returner or receiver that he didn't perform wonderfully.
I may be mistaken, but I think he's returned one punt and that was for about an 80 yard touchdown.
In the A-Day Game..he stayed wide open as a receiver.
I know he's small but dang he's fast as greased lightning.
Nothing against Diggs. I just wonder why Marks doesn't get a shot.
No. he's not consistent.

Right now, it's 3rd game into the season. Let's wait and see how the rest of the season goes.

JustNeedMe81

Hall of Fame
Sep 30, 2011
Huntsville, Al
And we can evaluate his consistency how? He hasn't played yet.
I'm saying diggs/Ruggs can handle the punt return and i was saying let those guys show what they can do. Marks is good, but he can be inconsistent at times. Right now we're not getting good looks on punt returns because of the teams we've played. I expect Vandy, Ole miss to give us some looks

Alasippi

Suspended
Aug 31, 2007
Ocean Springs, MS
I'm saying diggs/Ruggs can handle the punt return and i was saying let those guys show what they can do. Marks is good, but he can be inconsistent at times. Right now we're not getting good looks on punt returns because of the teams we've played. I expect Vandy, Ole miss to give us some looks
I agree....and they will indeed.

gman4tide

All-SEC
Nov 21, 2005
Flint Creek
In regards to the rugby style punters. Why not prep for a team with one by having the 2 end guys speed rushing straight up field? The punter will come to them. Make the punter make a snap decision on when to kick. Most of the time, the kick is fairly low and seemingly easier to block?

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
In regards to the rugby style punters. Why not prep for a team with one by having the 2 end guys speed rushing straight up field? The punter will come to them. Make the punter make a snap decision on when to kick. Most of the time, the kick is fairly low and seemingly easier to block?
That's about ten times easier said than done. With rugby, and with Aussie rules football, kicking on the run is an integral part of the game. They can get the ball off in a fraction of the time a traditional punter can. I'm sure it's happened, but, right now, I can't really think of a rugby style punt I've seen blocked...

gman4tide

All-SEC
Nov 21, 2005
Flint Creek
That's about ten times easier said than done. With rugby, and with Aussie rules football, kicking on the run is an integral part of the game. They can get the ball off in a fraction of the time a traditional punter can. I'm sure it's happened, but, right now, I can't really think of a rugby style punt I've seen blocked...
And i'll say this, once he (the punter) starts running and gets outta the tackle box...he should be fair game. If you can contact with a step, be just like hitting a qb a split second after he releases a pass. :cool: on TideFans.com

RT27

All-American
Aug 13, 2017
I miss the exciting returns, punt teams have improved to stop that, and they have done it well. Given time folks will find a way to get returns back in the game.

RT27

All-American
Aug 13, 2017
Real hard to block or return, short kicks but no returns no blocks, that is why they do it. Better 30 yd punt no return, than risk TD run back.

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
And i'll say this, once he (the punter) starts running and gets outta the tackle box...he should be fair game. If you can contact with a step, be just like hitting a qb a split second after he releases a pass. :cool: on TideFans.com
I believe you can tackle him without a roughing penalty. I'll check to make sure...

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.